LGBT issues and morality

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

To love one's neighbour as oneself. And yours?

That's one of his teachings (although not unique) and is perfectly relevant, but it also depends on whether the word teaching equates to message; the chief one being "The Coming Kingdom of God".

Perhaps it's not a good idea to get into theological arguments in this thread, although the interpretation of hell in the Bible can be quite different to what many people think it is.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

If he thinks crud like that is what it's all about, he's really failed to grasp Christ's most important teaching.

I dont think a person should lose their job, just because they are stupid.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

To love one's neighbour as oneself. And yours?

And there could lie one of the most important issues with  religious teachings. Your interpretation of that message could be different  to that of someone else, as with many messages within the different Bibles (as we're discussing Christian beliefs).

4 hours ago, willman said:

And there could lie one of the most important issues with  religious teachings. Your interpretation of that message could be different  to that of someone else, as with many messages within the different Bibles (as we're discussing Christian beliefs).

Yes different Bibles translated from different languages, including Latin and old English and modern translations, but I'm sure the scripture messages will be the same in all Christian Bibles. 

How one interprets 'Love your neighbour"is up to the individual reader to decide. 

I see the Tory hopeful Esther McVey has waded into the Birmingham schools row, arguing that people have a right to take their children out of LGBT lessons

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/politics/esther-mcvey-says-parents-know-best-over-lgbt-lessons-in-schools/ar-AAC8AcG?ocid=spartanntp

However, Education secretary Damian Hinds responded to the issue by saying the decision is for schools, not parents. 

I don't think McVey is right, I think that what the Birmingham schools in particular have been doing is introducing the idea that there are different family structures in society. I think this is very important, for all pupils, not just those from Muslim backgrounds. 

If those protestors threaten to take their kids out of schools, well let them.

EDIT: I want to also add that I think McVey is playing a dangerous game by using this issue as 'red meat' to appeal to her core voters in the race to be Tory leader. It smacks of something really unpleasant.

Edited by Mister M

The school curriculum should be kept to maths , english , languages , science , etc. For me there is no place in any school for any teaching of any form of  religion or  sexuality. 

8 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

The school curriculum should be kept to maths , english , languages , science , etc. For me there is no place in any school for any teaching of any form of  religion or  sexuality. 

Being shown different aspects of the world we live in, is important.

The religions of the world, politics of the world, and different relationships are all part of that. By your position someone could come out of school not even knowing  different sexualities even exist. That would be insane.

I do agree there shouldn't be large parts of lessons dedicated to single religions eg Catholic or Muslim schools. All schools should give a basic knowledge of all religions. Anything else is for outside school.

26 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

The official curriculum is a tiny part of what children learn in schools.

If children cannot learn that it's okay to be who they are, as well as the world around them; then they learn nothing.

6 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

What is taught in the "etc." part of the curriculum?

Would that be the crafts, food, drama, music, history, art, music, geography, sport and IT lessons?

What about health (including sexual health)? What about keeping safe and what to do about abuse? What about Government and politics?

What about morals, crime and the law? What about bullying and intolerance? Are they no all part of education?

These are all important in the modern world -as should the answers to the question every child asks:

Why are they different?

8 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

What is taught in the "etc." part of the curriculum?

Would that be the crafts, food, drama, music, history, art, music, geography, sport and IT lessons?

What about health (including sexual health)? What about keeping safe and what to do about abuse? What about Government and politics?

What about morals, crime and the law? What about bullying and intolerance? Are they no all part of education?

These are all important in the modern world -as should the answers to the question every child asks:

Why are they different?

I think all of the above - i do think the onus should be on the parents to educate their children with respect to manners,abusive behaviour,bullying etc along with moral issues,but i think it can't hurt to reinforce it at school.

I think politics and religion should be within some sort of subject similar to "humanities" as it was when i went to school. 

Whereas it does appears some schools try to teach tolerance and not to bully etc and some parents just couldn't give a fig about it.

5 minutes ago, willman said:

I think all of the above - i do think the onus should be on the parents to educate their children with respect to manners,abusive behaviour,bullying etc along with moral issues,but i think it can't hurt to reinforce it at school.

I think politics and religion should be within some sort of subject similar to "humanities" as it was when i went to school. 

Whereas it does appears some schools try to teach tolerance and not to bully etc and some parents just couldn't give a fig about it.

Of course it helps enormously if the parent is 'on side' with the schools messages about respect, tolerance and inclusiveness. But I think 'leave it to the parent is a cop out. 

As Stonewall have pointed out, bullying - especially homophobic bullying is still an issue in schools.

Much is made nowadays with the radicalisation agenda about 'fundamental British values'. These fundamental British values (I'd call them human values) apply to everyone, not just certain religions or sexualities.

Edited by Mister M

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Of course it helps enormously if the parent is 'on side' with the schools messages about respect, tolerance and inclusiveness. But I think 'leave it to the parent is a cop out. 

As Stonewall have pointed out, bullying - especially homophobic bullying is still an issue in schools.

Much is made nowadays with the radicalisation agenda about 'fundamental British values'. These fundamental British values (I'd call them human values) apply to everyone, not just certain religions or sexualities.

I agree it needs to be within school. Lots of parents aren't aware of how to give this info, or are completely on a different page on racism, homophobia etc.

In terms of homophobic bullying, I'm not so sure. When I was at school, being gay was something relating to John Inman or Danny Laroo. Nowadays kids in secondary school are much more open about it and my kids often mention gay or bi classmates in a completely blasé way. I'm not saying it is problem free, but the situation is much improved.