Doors on Derek Dooley near the Wicker.

2 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

Yep, Fiery Jack.... all the undergrowth above it appears to have been cleared which is bang over the top of green doors ..... so is it all connected n some way ?

Fiery Jack or Springheeled Jack ?

Does the wall and fake brick arches hold up Brunswick Road behind as it climbs up the hill over the tunnel ?

Wow thanks for the replies, I never knew about the tunnel fiery jack, I guess it was so named because of the sparks from the wheels going up the steep hill? This page says the tunnel opens on whais a listed building on Brunswick road https://archive.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/archives/2007/june-2007-issue-70/spital-tunnel/

10 hours ago, muddywolf said:

Wow thanks for the replies, I never knew about the tunnel fiery jack, I guess it was so named because of the sparks from the wheels going up the steep hill? This page says the tunnel opens on whais a listed building on Brunswick road https://archive.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/archives/2007/june-2007-issue-70/spital-tunnel/

The top of the tunnel portal is just visible on your right on the Shalesmoor bound carriageway as you come to the Saville Street traffic lights.

49 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

The top of the tunnel portal is just visible on your right on the Shalesmoor bound carriageway as you come to the Saville Street traffic lights.

Some mis-information in the Burngreave  Messenger piece: No passenger trains went up the tunnel. therefore no burnt passengers or carriages. Locomotives did not go up there either, the goods wagons  were shunted to the entrance from the Savile Street side that's when the giant winch took over and pulled the wagons up the gradient- hence the sparks and the name Fiery Jack- where they were retrieved by a waiting locomotive and taken the few yards to Bridgehouses. The Wicker/Savile Street side belonged to one railway company (LNER), the Bridgehouses side to another (LMS).

Edited by St Petre
add

On 30/03/2019 at 10:45, iansheff said:

If I remember correctly there was a firm in one of the arches on Furnival Road just off what is now DDW that took old tyres, they had a machine that punched  discs out of them, not sure but I think they were for the fishing industry. Also there used to be a place round there that made wooden sheds, can't remember if that was in one of the arches or further down.

if you look on Google Maps there were still some places on Furnival Road with roller shutter doors, according to the  map the imagery is dated 2018.

The rubber tyre place was at the bottom of Sussex Street.

I went there on a few occasions health and safety didn't exist lol