Doors on Derek Dooley near the Wicker.

4 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

In the same vein as when they hear the ice cream van chime, it means he's run out....? 😉

😂😂

Thanks for that Daryl.

2 hours ago, Debs1 said:

ot me looking now, google maps, arches with blue roller shutters on furnival rd, and then there's the bridge with "box fill" store in that set of arches, but where are the green hatches, that's mentioned, in first post?

On Derek Dooley Way above the black bricked arches, there's about 20 odd of them.

Edited by St Petre
add

And don't forget the old railway tunnel that is still in situ somewhere back behind those brick arches that leads down towards the Tesco car park.
I don't believe that the doors are related to that but the tunnel certainly is still there.

On 31/03/2019 at 12:34, Debs1 said:

Got me looking now, google maps, arches with blue roller shutters on furnival rd, and then there's the bridge with "box fill" store in that set of arches, but where are the green hatches, that's mentioned, in first post?

At the top, above the arches.

I've only just noticed that they seem to have cleared all the bushes. trees and weeds above the arches and doors, does anyone have a clue why ?
Surely it's too steep to build on with the old tunnel below. 

17 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

I've only just noticed that they seem to have cleared all the bushes. trees and weeds above the arches and doors, does anyone have a clue why ?
Surely it's too steep to build on with the old tunnel below. 

Are you referring to the 'Fiery Jack' tunnel that ran between Bridgehouse goods depot and the Wicker goods depot that ran under Spital Hill ? The tunnel is bricked up only at Wicker (Tesco) end, the other end at Brunswick Road has some sort of impromtu/makshift fence that seems vunerable to trespass.

Could they be inspection hatches for the structural steel or stonework ?

I reckon it must be part of a "tying in system" its a high wall without buttressing it needs some help holding back all that earth.

At first i thought ends of concrete beams but they do seem to have a hole on the right hand side half way up which does make them look like some kind of openable door. There's a photo of them being built on this thread it shows holes being left in the stone work but it needs a picture later showing what was put behind them. Some one out there must know, i can't sleep now wondering what they are, thanks a lot muddywolf.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/15709-arches/

5 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

I reckon it must be part of a "tying in system" its a high wall without buttressing it needs some help holding back all that earth.

At first i thought ends of concrete beams but they do seem to have a hole on the right hand side half way up which does make them look like some kind of openable door. There's a photo of them being built on this thread it shows holes being left in the stone work but it needs a picture later showing what was put behind them. Some one out there must know, i can't sleep now wondering what they are, thanks a lot muddywolf.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/15709-arches/

The white buildind mentioned that was on Brunswick Road was the former premises of Whitby & Chandler, more recently used aso a music recording studio. The name of the flour mill was WIGFULLS' as oppossed to WIGFALL'S the electrical & home furnishing people who also had property in the area.

On 02/04/2019 at 20:00, St Petre said:

Are you referring to the 'Fiery Jack' tunnel that ran between Bridgehouse goods depot and the Wicker goods depot that ran under Spital Hill ? The tunnel is bricked up only at Wicker (Tesco) end, the other end at Brunswick Road has some sort of impromtu/makshift fence that seems vunerable to trespass.

Yep, Fiery Jack.... all the undergrowth above it appears to have been cleared which is bang over the top of green doors ..... so is it all connected n some way ?