Java Lounge (ex) Holme lane

21 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

The Woodseats Brewmart has been in Woodseats for Decades. The people that used to own it told me that they once had three or four shops open in Sheffield at once. They eventually retired and now Brewmart is owned by a new guy, he must have had it for 7 or 8 years by now. He moved about 20 doors down in Woodseats to a bigger unit on Abbey Lane.

They had a stall in the Castle Market too...

21 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

The Woodseats Brewmart has been in Woodseats for Decades. The people that used to own it told me that they once had three or four shops open in Sheffield at once. They eventually retired and now Brewmart is owned by a new guy, he must have had it for 7 or 8 years by now. He moved about 20 doors down in Woodseats to a bigger unit on Abbey Lane.

I guess it must be the new guy who had the shop in Holme Lane then, as I have only spoken to him and that would have been no more than 5 or 6 years ago. And yes, the new place is much bigger than the previous location.

Me and my sis in law looked at this shop as an option about 16 years ago.  We are really glad we didn't go ahead with it - although it looked really good at first as Java Lounge I never saw it busy in there and think we would have regretted it. 

I think that Hillsborough still suffers as a result of the ongoing confusion (from some people) about the tram gates and parking.  I know a whole selection of otherwise intelligent and sensible people who just choose to go around the entire area so that they don't go through Hillsborough corner at all and therefore can't be picked up by a camera and fined for not doing it properly.  People are confused about the fact that the tram gates running through from Langsett Road into Middlewood Road (and vice versa) have operating hours but the one from Holme Lane onto Langsett Road is permanent.  I know several people who don't live in Hillsborough who have queried a ticket after turning right from Holme Lane to Langsett Road in the hours when it would be OK to have driven straight through, and I also know lots who have been caught out by the clearway zones at the bottom of all of the streets facing out onto a tramway. 

Of course, none of this is an excuse for not reading or understanding the restrictions, but I think locals forget how confusing this must be for people who haven't driven around trams, and the amount of information that needs to be absorbed very quickly on driving through or attempting to park in Hillsborough.    If people regard Hillsborough as a place to try to get around and out of without being charged money for going through it, rather than a place to visit because you want to actually go there, then even 5% or 10% lower footfall must have an effect on the number of customers who visit other places preferentially.

Having lived locally for 27 years until recently, I've never been confused by the tram gates and saw the middle of the day and evening relaxation as a bonus after years of not going through them at all, but I know way too many people who just see Hillsborough as a place to avoid.

I agree with all of that. I too lived round there for many years. I had a ticket for parking at the end of my street near the tram tracks (you only do this once!). I also had a ticket for going through the tram gate at 0710 one morning when I just forgot about it as I'd already been through and back at 0655. I generally avoided driving through it  just in case I'd forgotten about the times or it was gridlocked. It's still a problem and isn't going to change much unless millions are found to bury the tramline.

Hillsborough is surprisingly resilient though. Despite all its various defects it seems to plod on regardless and on the whole is improving. I moved near there because of the tram, Morrisons and all the other shops and pubs.  I figured it would gentrify and improve. It has - a bit, but there is still a long way to go. It's still the town centre for the relatively poor northern suburbs. It's never going to be a wealthy area, always somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Bilge

It was derelict for years before Java Lounge. It used to do really well because it did nice tasty stuff for really really competitive prices and it was fresh and made there and then.