Java Lounge (ex) Holme lane

This shop is up for rent, I wondered if anyone could help jog my memory please?

I cannot for the life of me remember what this shop was before (either directly before or in recent history....say the last 20 years)

I'm thinking of renting it but want to look for reasons why businesses have not prospered in what seems like a prominent location.    The shop area is small but that's not a problem to me.    I suppose i'm looking for "chain failed" or something that's not applicable to the area or spot itself.     

I'm not bothered that parking is a problem as the area is what i'm looking to move into and parking is a problem all through Hillsborough really.

I vaguely remember the unit not being in use at all for a long time. Then it was the cafe (which was never quite right, even before Costa opened).

1 hour ago, sko1978 said:

I'm thinking of renting it but want to look for reasons why businesses have not prospered in what seems like a prominent location.   

Brewmart's old place in Holme Lane was empty for yonks before it became a vaping shop. They moved to Woodseats and when I asked them why they moved, they said that the landlord had asked for a ridiculously high rent so they told him to do one. 

I bet the owner regrets it asa the place was empty for over ten years.

At one time Java Lounge was a charity before it became a cafe.

With Costa Coffee and also Rawson Springs being quite a pleasant place in the daytime Java Lounge was always going to struggle.

It was originally a pub,the Hillsborough Inn     Try the link below  photos  of

holme lane corner. The oldest one dates from the early1900s

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?&searchterms=holme+lane+corner&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%holme%%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%lane%%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%corner%%3B#rowNumber0

Also, the new coffee/food place Boo! is just around the corner, doing really well too by the looks of it.

Java lounge had extensive works done to the rear exterior. 2 years of scaffolding in the private pleasant courtyard garden which also had a covered area seemed to coincide with its demise 

I can't remember what it was before, but didn't Costa open up just over the road not long after the Java Lounge opened? 

If you're not opening a coffee shop you may be OK...

A bag shop, a greengrocer and a florist before it became Java Lounge although it was empty for years in between.

Is the footfall on that side of the junction heavy ?

Most of the footfall around that area seem to come past Subway on to Bradfield Road or across towards the Hillsborough Tap and onwards over the bridge.

It used to be Oxfam, in the 80s/90s I think.

We were saying earlier its a shame the Sports bar didn't move into that unit, much more suitable than the one under the flats. Poor residents!

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:19, Top Cats Hat said:

Brewmart's old place in Holme Lane was empty for yonks before it became a vaping shop. They moved to Woodseats and when I asked them why they moved, they said that the landlord had asked for a ridiculously high rent so they told him to do one. 

I bet the owner regrets it asa the place was empty for over ten years.

The Woodseats Brewmart has been in Woodseats for Decades. The people that used to own it told me that they once had three or four shops open in Sheffield at once. They eventually retired and now Brewmart is owned by a new guy, he must have had it for 7 or 8 years by now. He moved about 20 doors down in Woodseats to a bigger unit on Abbey Lane.