Electoral reform

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

But I would not vote for Her at the next GE. Any one who leaves their Party, as the 13 (I think) have done should stand immediately for re-election.  Despite all their hand wringing and explanations, we all know why they refuse to do so, they are scared of been removed from the Westminster train of plenty.

Angel1

There are a few petitions in local shops for  Mz Smith to stand for re-election.

15 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

There are a few petitions in local shops for  Mz Smith to stand for re-election.

If they can get 10% of the electorate they may have a chance but I doubt that they will.

My prediction is that most of the Tiggers, as they are now called, will stand in the Euro elections so that if they lose their seats at an early general election they will still have an income.

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If they can get 10% of the electorate they may have a chance but I doubt that they will.

My prediction is that most of the Tiggers, as they are now called, will stand in the Euro elections so that if they lose their seats at an early general election they will still have an income.

I anticipate that with all the money they are raising they will be running polls to determine the most likely winnable seats. I doubt if many of them will stand in their existing constituencies.

29 minutes ago, max said:

I anticipate that with all the money they are raising they will be running polls to determine the most likely winnable seats. I doubt if many of them will stand in their existing constituencies.

If there is a general election (very soon)

and if

the two main parties officially support (some version of) brexit or are unable to reach a consensus internally (like now)

and if

the new change party gets its act together and supports remain

and if

they are able to attract more disenchanted labour and conservative MPs, when it comes to the crunch

and if

they get into bed with the Lib Dem’s and not contest seats against each other

and if

they campaign on a very clear “Remain” ticket, and pretty much nothing else (ie a single issue party)

Then they may stand a chance, as a centrist pro EU party, that will split the brexit vote (half labour, half conservative).

Lots of “IFs”, though, so not very likely

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Islington is a diverse area with both very rich and poor. A vote for Labour is certainly not a given. If it has been held by Jeremy Coryn for 30 years, I suggest it's because of the man, who is exceptional, not the party.

And yes, he is an independent thinker, and doesn't necessarily follow the whip, as he has proved on several occasions.

He, like his 649 colleagues have helped make this country a laughing stock. He is establishment. He has failed to lead any kind of effective opposition. He has to go.

But don’t think I’m picking on St jezza specifically, they all have to go.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

He, like his 649 colleagues have helped make this country a laughing stock. He is establishment. He has failed to lead any kind of effective opposition. He has to go.

But don’t think I’m picking on St jezza specifically, they all have to go.

Opposition? What would that be them?

Half of the Conservatives are for Remaining the other half are Leavers. How can he oppose that, when they can't make up their mind which way to go. Which opinion should he oppose? How can he oppose both? 

Labour is also divided, which half should he support/oppose?

The whole thing is a total mess, and has been since Boris and Gove stood up and started canvassing for leave. When that happened it should have been cross party from the start.

Even then, should MPs go with their own opinion? Or the opinion of the constituency they represent? This was never decided.

The UK is divided, the people are divided,  Parliament is divided. Nobody can agree. 

However if, over the years, Parliament had been doing their job and were respected,  and were trusted to be always working fastidiously in the best interests of the country, maybe a referendum would not have been necessary in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

However if, over the years, Parliament had been doing their job and were respected,  and were trusted to be always working fastidiously in the best interests of the country, maybe a referendum would not have been necessary in the first place.

The referendum was not necessary other than to protect Tory MPs from the threat of UKIP.

It had nothing to do with trust in Parliament.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Opposition? What would that be them?

Half of the Conservatives are for Remaining the other half are Leavers. How can he oppose that, when they can't make up their mind which way to go. Which opinion should he oppose? How can he oppose both? 

Labour is also divided, which half should he support/oppose?

The whole thing is a total mess, and has been since Boris and Gove stood up and started canvassing for leave. When that happened it should have been cross party from the start.

Even then, should MPs go with their own opinion? Or the opinion of the constituency they represent? This was never decided.

The UK is divided, the people are divided,  Parliament is divided. Nobody can agree. 

Then agree to change. He had the opportunity to go into an emergency meeting grab hold of the situation. He's had all sorts of possibilities- he's blown them all. What he's managed to do is absolutely nothing.

But yes, if parliament had been doing it's job, why not be in the situation we're in. He's been in parliament for 30 odd years. Sorry jezza, it's not working. It's not us, it's you and your mates. I want 650 new faces. No exceptions.

I'd be happy to see the back of most of them. But the system also needs changing, and the culture.

And who would do that? After all, Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

I had my polling card for the local 2nd May election delivered this morning.

I can't help but feel that I'm going to bin it.

30 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'd be happy to see the back of most of them. But the system also needs changing, and the culture.

And who would do that? After all, Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

We will. We have to.  As you point out, they won't change, so vote them out. All of them.

15 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I had my polling card for the local 2nd May election delivered this morning.

I can't help but feel that I'm going to bin it.

Jesus Christ, there are people all over the world who would love to have a say in how their country was run and what do we have? People having hissy fits because the system isn't perfect.

For goodness sake, get a grip!