Electoral reform

I don't agree with a lot of what you say  but this time , I concur

45 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I hope Angela Smith is not reading this.

All this talk of changing politics and no one has even mentioned her new Change Party! 😢

She’s part of the problem. Clear your desk Angela, I’m very much hoping you’ll be out of a job soon. 

8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

She’s part of the problem. Clear your desk Angela, I’m very much hoping you’ll be out of a job soon. 

She'll be spitting feathers if there's  a GE, She'd have had few years representing a party none of 'her' constituents had voted for.

Does any party represent any constituency any more? North East Derbyshire has welsh a Tory lawyer who is quite cosy with the ERG. How the **** can he connect to his constituents ? Ply them with bull**** seems to work.

Sack him off!

52 minutes ago, Anna B said:

so he must be doing something right. Why would they want to vote him out?

They just vote Labour.

Same way as most MPs get in. Technically, you are voting for the person. In practice people vote for a party.

19 minutes ago, woodview said:

They just vote Labour.

Same way as most MPs get in. Technically, you are voting for the person. In practice people vote for a party.

70 out of 650 changed hands at the last election. Hardly sticking it to the man is it “Medadvotedlaboursoivotelabour”, isn’t helping. Well, it’s helping MPs is safe seats rinse us all for £77k a year. It’s helping other countries too - we’ve dropped well down the international pecking order. 

8 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

70 out of 650 changed hands at the last election. Hardly sticking it to the man is it “Medadvotedlaboursoivotelabour”, isn’t helping. Well, it’s helping MPs is safe seats rinse us all for £77k a year. It’s helping other countries too - we’ve dropped well down the international pecking order. 

Yup. Safe seat - safe job. It is possible to change things. A lot of ukip support was through general disaffection with the current bunch, not just the eu. Someone picking up that, with a mainstream agenda could take a significant vote slice.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

Yup. Safe seat - safe job. It is possible to change things. A lot of ukip support was through general disaffection with the current bunch, not just the eu. Someone picking up that, with a mainstream agenda could take a significant vote slice.

Of course what we need is more independent thinking MP that doesn't follow the whip, like Corbyn  ;)

13 hours ago, woodview said:

They just vote Labour.

Islington is a diverse area with both very rich and poor. A vote for Labour is certainly not a given. If it has been held by Jeremy Coryn for 30 years, I suggest it's because of the man, who is exceptional, not the party.

And yes, he is an independent thinker, and doesn't necessarily follow the whip, as he has proved on several occasions.

14 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I hope Angela Smith is not reading this.

All this talk of changing politics and no one has even mentioned her new Change Party! 😢

I have to admit,  several times I have written to Mz Smith and she has duly done what I asked of her, contacted the relevant Government dept and sent me a reply from them.

But I would not vote for Her at the next GE. Any one who leaves their Party, as the 13 (I think) have done should stand immediately for re-election.  Despite all their hand wringing and explanations, we all know why they refuse to do so, they are scared of been removed from the Westminster train of plenty.

Angel1

31 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Islington is a diverse area with both very rich and poor. A vote for Labour is certainly not a given. If it has been held by Jeremy Coryn for 30 years, I suggest it's because of the man, who is exceptional, not the party.

And yes, he is an independent thinker, and doesn't necessarily follow the whip, as he has proved on several occasions.

He's not so keen on other MPs not following his whip though is he? He also seems to have forgotten his promise to let the party members define policy.

Incidentally, his constituency voted 78% for remain. His position might not be as secure as you think it is.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have to admit,  several times I have written to Mz Smith and she has duly done what I asked of her, contacted the relevant Government dept and sent me a reply from them.

To be fair, that is what every MP would do for a constituent. That is why they have an office and a budget for staff.