Mouth antibiotics

I went to the dentists today. The dentist said I needed a tooth out and I had a bad infection. I opted for the extraction today, rather than being sent home with antibiotics and then have it extracted when the infection cleared up.

After the extraction my dentist never mentioned antibiotics, and I was rather confused to think about them.

Will the infection heal on its own, or did the dentist make an error?

The infection was probably in the space between the decayed tooth and the gum. 

Once the tooth is removed than the socket washed out most of the infected matter will be flushed away meaning that the remaining infected tissue will dry out and the infection will recede and eventually disappear on its own.

Good call by your dentist for not over prescribing antibiotics and saving you £9 into the bargain. 😀

56 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Good call by your dentist for not over prescribing antibiotics and saving you £9 into the bargain. 😀

I have just looked up the charges, she charged me the wrong amount £21.60, should have been £59 ;)

I bet that is because you were booked in for a checkup as that is a Band 1 charge and you got out befor the job had been written up.

They'll probably stick on the rest next time you go! 😉

Rinsing your mouth out with warm salt water about 8 hours after the tooth extraction  should help with the infection and the healing process, but I’m sure your  dentist  will have given you after care instructions on this.

23 hours ago, El Cid said:

I went to the dentists today. The dentist said I needed a tooth out and I had a bad infection. I opted for the extraction today, rather than being sent home with antibiotics and then have it extracted when the infection cleared up.

After the extraction my dentist never mentioned antibiotics, and I was rather confused to think about them.

Will the infection heal on its own, or did the dentist make an error?

Was he your regular dentist or was he just filling in?

On 28/03/2019 at 17:20, El Cid said:

I have just looked up the charges, she charged me the wrong amount £21.60, should have been £59 ;)

Roll your tongue around the hole to see if half the tooth is still in there.😆

Edited by Ontarian1981

Now the tooth has been removed the source of the infection has gone. Use warm salt water as a mouthwash 2/3 times a day for a week. 

All seems ok so far

Prob would have been best to call your dentist and ask the question rather than a random forum! 😄