Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

On 23/04/2019 at 15:00, MaxVinella said:

You just have to try,   that's the best thing to do.   I am sure that Proove  use Caputo,  Porter too but do not know if red or blue (yet).     Of course Naples has great pizzerie, some of them remarkable in tradition as well  innovation - the Gotha of pizza works there.      

But I also found interesting the Roman pizza in its two version, "teglia"  and   "piana".        The first one is cooked in a flat pan,  it is about one inch tall and much aereated - because of the high-hydration long-prooving dough.       The piana is flatter than the neapolitan,    and does not the "cornicione", i.e. the raised borders.       The king of  roman "teglia"  pizza is called Gabriele Bonci   (look him up)

https://imgur.com/sjq19aV

We use caputo blue at the moment (porter pizza)

Hi Jap

good to see you here,  one of the best three pizzas in Sheffield

BWs

MV

8 hours ago, MaxVinella said:

Hi Jap

good to see you here,  one of the best three pizzas in Sheffield

BWs

MV

Yes, I've tried and enjoyed Porter Pizza too.  I think the quality there is very good and the prices, if I recall correctly, are a bit more reasonable than Proove - which I think are a bit on the pricey side (especially if you want to add toppings).  I have to say though, I don't think the quality of the toppings at Porter Pizza is as good as at Proove.  Take a fairly bog standard pizza, like...ham and mushroom.  I've tried these from both.  At Proove the mushrooms were large juicy things and the ham was nice big flakes.  At Porter everything was diced up small - and no, it wasn't anywhere near as good I'm afraid - although the pizza base itself was excellent.  Maybe Porter keep the prices down by keeping the toppings down in size or quality?  I don't know - but I do know that some folks will be happy enough with that and others, like me for example, will think...no, I'll pay a bit more and have better quality toppings.

Edited by DerbyTup

Not sure if it's been mentioned in other posts, but we've enjoyed the Butcher and Catch in Broomhill a couple of times recently.

Great meat and fresh fish options, and some veggie choices too. Great meals with local ingredients, nice friendly atmosphere too.

Well,  Porter pizza  is started as a takeaway place, with only some sitting in the shop.  Perhaps it is more targeted to the takeaway market and with smaller premises that's why probably Proove is dearer.   The toppings honestly I do not know because I only order Margherita pizza - not the fancy ones.  

Can tell you however how the best Porcini mushrooms pizzas are made in most of Italy, and it is not from fresh Porcini.

They come from a can of "Porcini Trifolati" of 1Kg,  best brands are Demetra , Robo or  Logro'.    When you need them , you drain them and put them in a pan where you have melted in two spoons of water  a Porcini Mushroom stock cube.  Toss them together and use them on Pizza .  Perfect.

rTs8IUs.jpg

Edited by MaxVinella

That's interesting - I didn't realise about these tins of mushrooms.  

Strangely enough, for years I never ate mushrooms as a kid.  I think I was always rather dubious about them - they reminded me too much of toadstools and I was concerned they could be poisonous!  Then I developed a liking for the tinned "Chesswood" variety.  I can't remember how I got introduced to them - but from there it was a short step to liking fresh mushrooms.  

I'm going to look out for this Italian porcini ones that you mention.  It would be handy to have a tin on the shelf then I can start and add them to my Proove pizza and avoid paying £1.50, which is what Proove charge if you want to add mushrooms as an extra topping.

Yes,  except that once opened you must use them fast - and they are one Kg!   It is important that you take the "trifolati"  and not other qualities, porcini and not other types.

They are usually available from Amazon.it  with low shipping charge or from Nifeislife.  If you have an account with one of the big distributors to trade, you will also find them there.     Usually 8-10 pounds per tin.

If anyone likes vegan stuff, I was blown away by the options for brekkie / brunch at The Forum recently.

15 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

.... avoid paying £1.50, which is what Proove charge if you want to add mushrooms as an extra topping.

Arrr much?!  Even DT draws the line at that.

On 20/06/2019 at 21:32, Bilge said:

Arrr much?!  Even DT draws the line at that.

Ha-ha!  Well, not quite.  I've paid it many times.  It's not the price of something that bothers me, it's the value.  I'm happy to pay a high price for something I consider high value.

Specific to Proove pizza, I've had several take-aways from there (and ate in 2/3 times).  On one occasion I'd ordered a "Diavola" and the guy taking my order says to me, "you do know it's a bit spicy that one - it has chillies on it - is that o.k.?"  And I said, "yes, that's fine, I like it spicy".  So then he says, "oh really?  would you like me to make it a bit more spicy for you?"  And I said, "yes, that would be great - thanks".  I was thinking he was just offering to spice it up a bit, like they might offer to spice up a curry a bit in an Indian restaurant.  He didn't mention, and I didn't realise, he was going to charge me extra for that.  When I got the pizza home I'd say there was maybe half a teaspoon of "extra" chilli on there - for which I'd paid an extra 50p.  50p isn't a lot of money - but in that context is was not good value.   

I don't think Proove are, or were,  very transparent with their pricing anyhow.   The prices on the menu used to be written in a spidery feint print which made it very difficult to tell whether it was a 7 or 9 you were looking at, for example.   I stopped going there after being continually over-charged.  I'm talking about maybe 3 or 4 consecutive occasions when I'd gone to get a take-away and they were overcharging by a couple of quid or so each time.  On the last occasion I had a word with the manager, or person in charge.  It was becoming more than just a coincidence.

There is also a huge difference in price between their pizzas.  A basic one will cost just under £7 but if you go for something like the  "Diavola" pizzai it's  £11.70 now.   And if you add some extra toppings, like ham or pepperoni, you'll pay £2 for each.  

I still think it's the best Pizza I've had in Sheffield - but I've not tried this Neapolitan place on Glossop Road yet - so I'm hoping it's as good or better than Proove.  I will surely let you know!

8 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Ha-ha!  Well, not quite.  I've paid it many times.  It's not the price of something that bothers me, it's the value.  I'm happy to pay a high price for something I consider high value.

Specific to Proove pizza, I've had several take-aways from there (and ate in 2/3 times).  On one occasion I'd ordered a "Diavola" and the guy taking my order says to me, "you do know it's a bit spicy that one - it has chillies on it - is that o.k.?"  And I said, "yes, that's fine, I like it spicy".  So then he says, "oh really?  would you like me to make it a bit more spicy for you?"  And I said, "yes, that would be great - thanks".  I was thinking he was just offering to spice it up a bit, like they might offer to spice up a curry a bit in an Indian restaurant.  He didn't mention, and I didn't realise, he was going to charge me extra for that.  When I got the pizza home I'd say there was maybe half a teaspoon of "extra" chilli on there - for which I'd paid an extra 50p.  50p isn't a lot of money - but in that context is was not good value.   

I don't think Proove are, or were,  very transparent with their pricing anyhow.   The prices on the menu used to be written in a spidery feint print which made it very difficult to tell whether it was a 7 or 9 you were looking at, for example.   I stopped going there after being continually over-charged.  I'm talking about maybe 3 or 4 consecutive occasions when I'd gone to get a take-away and they were overcharging by a couple of quid or so each time.  On the last occasion I had a word with the manager, or person in charge.  It was becoming more than just a coincidence.

There is also a huge difference in price between their pizzas.  A basic one will cost just under £7 but if you go for something like the  "Diavola" pizzai it's  £11.70 now.   And if you add some extra toppings, like ham or pepperoni, you'll pay £2 for each.  

I still think it's the best Pizza I've had in Sheffield - but I've not tried this Neapolitan place on Glossop Road yet - so I'm hoping it's as good or better than Proove.  I will surely let you know!

I like Proove, eating in at Broomhill and delivery. Never had a problem with eating in, but a few deliveroo deliveries have been less than warm, and a few unsliced. Neither is an earth shattering problem but just smacks a bit of carelessness, which shouldn't be happening.

Not a particular fan of the toppings at Porter pizza, a bit gimmicky. Hard to beat a good margherita tbh.

Edited by Bargepole23

On 22/06/2019 at 13:19, Bargepole23 said:

I like Proove, eating in at Broomhill and delivery. Never had a problem with eating in, but a few deliveroo deliveries have been less than warm, and a few unsliced. Neither is an earth shattering problem but just smacks a bit of carelessness, which shouldn't be happening.

Not a particular fan of the toppings at Porter pizza, a bit gimmicky. Hard to beat a good margherita tbh.

Interesting comment there about the "slicing" of the pizza's from Proove.  Yes we've had similar issues with the cutting, or non-cutting, of the pizza from there.   Our problem was that  someone had hastily and rather carelessly ran a pizza wheel over it, so it does have cuts in it, but they aren't cut all the way through, or in even sized pieces.  So then when you get it home you have to cut it yourself, but the fact that it's already got partial cuts in it, makes it a right mess and it falls apart.  I think next time I'll just say to them, "please don't cut it" - and then I can cut it myself properly at home.

Edited by DerbyTup