Jump to content

Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

Recommended Posts

On 19/09/2019 at 15:49, Jim Hardie said:

Mama's and Leonie's was very good last time I ate there but it's a long time ago. Handy for the theatres.

Used to be a bit of a cult diner back in the day.  I went there about a year ago.  Don't know why now actually.  But we were shopping in town and just fancied a pizza.  We didn't want to go to the expense of Vera Gusto on this occasion, so we rocked up at Mama's.  My previous visit must have been 10 years previous.

 

We both thought the pizzas were pretty average tbh.  Reminded me a lot of when I first started making my own pizza and I used to buy those pizza bases and just throw toppings on them.  I think I'd go to Vera Gusto next time - they do really nice Italian pizza and it's also near to the theatres of course.  

On 19/09/2019 at 16:55, MaxVinella said:

 I would strongly advise Oisoi

Yes I'd agree.  In fact we're off there again this weekend.  The food is very nice there and there's a good mix of different dishes - sort of Asian Fusion style.  Vera Gusto is very good too, as mentioned.  Those are probably the best two within easy walking distance of the theatres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2019 at 06:27, DerbyTup said:

Made our 3rd visit to Oisoi recently.  Becoming quite a regular there now since the recommendation on here from the minxy one. 

 

Our previous visit was about a month ago.  On that occasion the food was very good again, but they'd sellotaped some pages of the menu together, the section with the Korean dishes in it.  That was a shame, because on our first visit we had Bibimbap - which, if you haven't tried it - is a delicious mix of meat and vegetables in a hot stone bowl, with a spicy sauce to mix in - and an egg on top.  So, Bibimbap sadly off the menu then on that occasion.  When we asked why we were told that there was a problem with the kitchen downstairs and it's a dish that takes a lot of kitchen space to make - so they've had to stop making it whilst they get the kitchen fixed.  (Seemed a bit of a strange one - but hey-ho!).

 

So on our most recent visit we looked forward to them having the kitchen fixed and being able to order Bibimbap again.  No such luck I'm afraid.  The kitchen is still out of order downstairs apparently.  So no Bibimbap.  And that section of the menu is still sellotaped together - which kind of suggests this could be a longish-term thing?

 

On this occasion as well, they had ran out of Sake.  I enjoy Sake with my meal and Oisoi have a long list of about 8 different types of it - but they only had flavoured sparkling sake left, no still sake that could be heated.

 

Otherwise, the food was delicious as usual.  

 

I'll try and resist going for another month or so and let's see what happens next time - but it feels to me like some cracks are starting to appear and they are reducing their service and the options available.  It's often the first sign of a restaurant in trouble.  Let's hope not - because it's the best new restaurant in Sheffield for a good few years.  Maybe it's too good for Sheffield?

I always think folks who quote themselves are a bit sad, but I'm doing it myself now!  In the above, posted in July this year, I mentioned that it felt like some cracks were starting to appear at Oisoi and this was usually the first sign of a restaurant in trouble.

 

Last night we should have been there for a family party.  We got an email first thing yesterday morning saying that Oisoi has closed down.

 

Apparently they do plan to re-open in mid-October, but under a different name.  Those of you in business will perhaps be able to second-guess what this means?

 

For me, it just confirms...I did see cracks and it was a sign of a restaurant in trouble.  Another one bites the dust.  Very sad but I suspect it's down to the usual problem that upmarket restaurants have in this city - folks just don't want to pay for it.  So, maybe the next reincarnation will be a "Oisoi lite" - a cheaper version of Asian fusion.  We'll see!

 

😕

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  when we went all food was superior quality, drinks with great choice, and a series of foreign-trained waitresses and maitre (two were Italian, one Austrian).   Adding this to attractive modern stylish decor and the expensive premises,  the running costs must have been very high.    And in such financial climate am not sure how many of these restaurants  Sheffield can support. 

Edited by MaxVinella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I always think folks who quote themselves are a bit sad, but I'm doing it myself now!  In the above, posted in July this year, I mentioned that it felt like some cracks were starting to appear at Oisoi and this was usually the first sign of a restaurant in trouble.

 

Last night we should have been there for a family party.  We got an email first thing yesterday morning saying that Oisoi has closed down.

 

Apparently they do plan to re-open in mid-October, but under a different name.  Those of you in business will perhaps be able to second-guess what this means?

 

For me, it just confirms...I did see cracks and it was a sign of a restaurant in trouble.  Another one bites the dust.  Very sad but I suspect it's down to the usual problem that upmarket restaurants have in this city - folks just don't want to pay for it.  So, maybe the next reincarnation will be a "Oisoi lite" - a cheaper version of Asian fusion.  We'll see!

 

😕

 

 

 

It’s no more expensive (in fact probably cheaper than) plenty of other restaurants in Sheffield.

 

so I don’t see why this means it’s because people won’t pay for it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It’s no more expensive (in fact probably cheaper than) plenty of other restaurants in Sheffield.

 

so I don’t see why this means it’s because people won’t pay for it. 

 

 

It's a bit more expensive than most other Chinese/Japanese places but the food's a cut above too. Having said that it was always busy when we went and occasionally we struggled to get a booking which suggests people will pay for it. I'll be devastated if it's gone for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lectrolove said:

It's a bit more expensive than most other Chinese/Japanese places but the food's a cut above too. Having said that it was always busy when we went and occasionally we struggled to get a booking which suggests people will pay for it. I'll be devastated if it's gone for good.

I’ve not been - ive heard it’s good.

 

i don’t agree with derbytup at all on the “Sheffield won’t pay for it” thing but he seems to know his food so I would have liked to have tried it at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sad that its closed, there's a dearth of really good city centre places and the food and service there was always very good, was busy everytime I went so surprised its gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to Otto's on Sharrowvale Rd a couple of times recently excellent food and good, friendly service,  the place looks a little dated but if the foods good who really cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Been to Otto's on Sharrowvale Rd a couple of times recently excellent food and good, friendly service,  the place looks a little dated but if the foods good who really cares.

Another vote for Ottos - the food is fantastic, and I actually rather like its slightly dated ambience. I would rather restaurants focussed on the food and customer service than adopting the latest trend in decor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/09/2019 at 10:12, DerbyTup said:

 

 

For me, it just confirms...I did see cracks and it was a sign of a restaurant in trouble.  Another one bites the dust.  Very sad but I suspect it's down to the usual problem that upmarket restaurants have in this city - folks just don't want to pay for it.  So, maybe the next reincarnation will be a "Oisoi lite" - a cheaper version of Asian fusion.  We'll see!

 

😕

 

 

 

I think you're  wrong Derby Tup,  there's  lots of Sheffield people crying out for decent  eating places in Sheffield and are willing to pay but they just don't  seem to last.

Leeds have some great restaurants but unfortunately  it's  too far to travel in the evening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I think you're  wrong Derby Tup,  there's  lots of Sheffield people crying out for decent  eating places in Sheffield and are willing to pay but they just don't  seem to last.

Leeds have some great restaurants but unfortunately  it's  too far to travel in the evening

I'm not disagreeing that there is a market for more upmarket places to eat, include me in that, but regrettably we are in the minority.

 

I'm basing my opinion on a few things, but not least a conversation I had with the owner of "Bar & Grill" a few  years ago.  Do you remember that place?  It was in Leopold Square.  It had a very nice cocktail bar, accessible from the West street side, and a restaurant upstairs.  I thought it was a really good addition to Sheffield.  I wouldn't call it "haute-cuisine" exactly, but it had nice "bistro" style food of a good standard.  I'm pretty sure it was on here that I read a comment about it, which went something like, 

 

'£18 for steak and chips!  I can get fish and chips for a fiver from our chip shop'.  

 

OK so this is a very stupid comment - but there were others that baulked at the idea of paying £18 for steak and chips.  I was talking to the owner one night and he was telling me he had two or three other restaurants in West Yorkshire, which were all doing very well, but he was struggling to make the Sheffield one pay.  One observation he made was that they sell a lot of champagne in the other restaurants, but in Sheffield it's non-existent, everyone wants Prosecco.  His comments were that, for whatever reason, people in Sheffield just didn't seem prepared to pay a bit more for quality food.  

 

There was another really good place, "Cafe Masala", on Westfield Terrace.  A small, boutique type Indian place, serving really different Indian food, with a quality wine list.  That place closed down.  I got to know the owner there too and he told me just before they closed that this was the plan.  He said he just couldn't make it pay, because people in Sheffield wanted their onion bhaji's and chicken tikka masala and chips - there was no call for upscale Indian food.  Such a shame.

 

You then look around the city and you struggle to find upmarket restaurants or shops.  There's no way that  Selfridges, or  Harvey Nicks would venture here.  Even a nice "chain" restaurant like "The Ivy", there isn't one here.  Why?  

 

I'm afraid the majority of people do not appreciate such things and aren't prepared to pay for it.  That's the very reason these places don't open up here in the first place, or don't last very long if they do.  Thank God we've still got a few good places, such as Marco @ Milano's, Vero Gusto, Joro, Rafters.  But the choice is very limited compared to other cities of similar or smaller size.

 

We tend to go to Leeds or Manchester if we want upmarket eating/shopping.  Although there are some very good places a little bit closer, around Huddersfield you've got places like the 3 Acres at Shelley, or the Dyeworks at Kirkburton.  Both these are very nice places to eat and worth a 40 minute drive.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.