Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

On 05/08/2020 at 22:59, Brooker11 said:

Does anyone know where the new Oisoi is exactly, it opened on Monday?

Yes.  

It's on Boston Street.  If you know where "CandyTown" is (or was) on London Road, then you'll know Boston street, it's the street with Sainsbury's local (used to be Tiffany's nightclub) at the London Road end.  Go down there, passing Aldi on your left, and it's in the next block right at the end.  A new building.  There are escalators up to the KH Oriental supermarket on the first floor and Oisoi "gathering" is up there.

I had a take away from there two weeks ago and it was really excellent.  I was most impressed by the cartons it came in as well!  Not your usual take-away foil things, but very professional job.  

I tried to book in for a meal this week but fully booked.

It's good.

Very good.  

A cut above most other oriental restaurants in this city I'd say.

14 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Yes.  

It's on Boston Street.  If you know where "CandyTown" is (or was) on London Road, then you'll know Boston street, it's the street with Sainsbury's local (used to be Tiffany's nightclub) at the London Road end.  Go down there, passing Aldi on your left, and it's in the next block right at the end.  A new building.  There are escalators up to the KH Oriental supermarket on the first floor and Oisoi "gathering" is up there.

I had a take away from there two weeks ago and it was really excellent.  I was most impressed by the cartons it came in as well!  Not your usual take-away foil things, but very professional job.  

I tried to book in for a meal this week but fully booked.

It's good.

Very good.  

A cut above most other oriental restaurants in this city I'd say.

Thanks its the next place we're going to try,  loved the food at the other site before it closed.

10 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Thanks its the next place we're going to try,  loved the food at the other site before it closed.

Yes us too.  We had a table for 10 booked on the Saturday evening for a family get together - they phoned us on Saturday morning to say they'd closed down.  They offered some vouchers or something for the inconvenience, but of course it's never re-opened.   Which is such a pity because it was fabulous food in what felt more like a top end London restaurant.

Edited by DerbyTup

14 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Yes us too.  We had a table for 10 booked on the Saturday evening for a family get together - they phoned us on Saturday morning to say they'd closed down.  They offered some vouchers or something for the inconvenience, but of course it's never re-opened.   Which is such a pity because it was fabulous food in what felt more like a top end London restaurant.

It did, the whole experience was of a quality you rarely get in Sheffield, hope the new one is as good.

8 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

It did, the whole experience was of a quality you rarely get in Sheffield, hope the new one is as good.

I expect it will be.  I think there was a problem with the lease or something on the building in St Paul's place.  It would be great if they could resolve that because it was such a nice restaurant in a very nice part of the city centre.  Just what Sheffield needs.  Although I think they said they were moving out to other premises.

The Oisoi gathering place on Boston Street isn't anything like on the same scale of course.  It's quite small, but they've done a good job with the decor all the same.  

I suspect it's something to do with "KH Oriental" as they have a super brand new oriental supermarket in the same building.  I used to go to the previous KH oriental supermarket when it was in the old building around the corner - that's all been demolished now.  

I'm sure someone mentioned that the whole area around there was going to be a bit of a Chinatown?   I don't know if that's still on the cards, I suppose like everything else, the coronavirus pandemic has disrupted a lot of plans.  But again, that would be great for Sheffield if so.  I enjoy visiting Chinatown in Manchester.  Just wandering around those streets and seeing all these oriental shops, with ducks hanging in the window and the smells of oriental food in the air.