Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

13 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I've never had a bad meal at the Mediterranean.

22 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I'm surprised The Mediterranean cant serve a decent lobster platter- I thought that they used to have quite a reputation for their fish dishes- but frozen lobster & crab from a tin is appalling especially when there is great fishmongers almost next door.  That rules it out for me.

Sorry guys, but if somebody serves me a platter of fish at 4 degrees centigrade with the center below zero- no matter what the quality is, it results unedible.  

Edited by MaxVinella

13 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I've never had a bad meal at the Mediterranean.

Been there once, it was very average and so have not been back.

I tried the fish restaurant in Kommune recently and it was excellent. IIRC it cooks fish direct from the fishmongers on Sharrowvale road.

A few years back I would have had no hesitation saying Uncle Sam's, but the last few visits I've felt a tad let down.

First started going there in '78 when it was still called Uncle Sam's Chuck Wagon. The first thing the waitresses did when you sat down was bring you a long cold glass of water. They've not done that for decades, more's the pity. Also, the burgers were the size of your fist. That's long gone too. 

The staff are still lovely, but I took my daughter about a year back and we both felt the food a little bland compared to what we remembered. 

Maybe food regulations or company policy has enforced changes? I want the old Chuck Wagon back. Unlikely to happen - but at least the train's still there 😀.

On 17/12/2019 at 19:20, Bargepole23 said:

Had several nice lunches at The Summerhouse at Dore, always busy as well.

I know it well and it's a really nice place to go for a drink - they've made a great job of the extension too.  Must be one of the nicest bars in Sheffield.  But the food?...

We've found it very hit and miss tbh.  I'm not just talking about me and the missus, but we've got several different social groups around here that we go out with and they are all of the same opinion - great place to go for a drink - but not great food-wise.  It's a while since I ate there, (last year sometime), so I'm prepared to give it another go, but last time there were a group of 6 of us and not one of us has wanted to go back again to eat.  I'm talking evening meals btw - not lunch.

I shall keep an open mind and report back in due course.

Edited by DerbyTup

I raise once more, the subject of Oisoi - and its latest reincarnation, the Bushi-Bushi Cafe.   As you will know, the super, fabulous, luxurious, stupendous, Oisoi main restaurant closed last year, at VERY short notice.  (I got an email that morning telling me that our table of 10 for the evening was cancelled as the place had shut down).  

They have  another place in the Gatecrasher Apartments building on Arundel Street.  With the quirky name of "Oisoi Deli Market Foods and Bushi-Bushi restaurant".  This supposedly sells a simplified version of the delights that used to be available in the old main restaurant.

I thought I'd give it a try this saturday night so I phoned up around 7pm yesterday to book a table.  The phone just rang and rang then went dead.  The website is pretty useless because it just takes you back to the old Oisoi website.  So, short of going into town and physically walking in there, it's not possible to know!  Seems a bloody strange way of running a business to me!

Does anyone know if this place is still open?  Or has it gone the way of it's bigger brother and softly and suddenly vanished away?  

8 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I know it well and it's a really nice place to go for a drink - they've made a great job of the extension too.  Must be one of the nicest bars in Sheffield.  But the food?...

We've found it very hit and miss tbh.  I'm not just talking about me and the missus, but we've got several different social groups around here that we go out with and they are all of the same opinion - great place to go for a drink - but not great food-wise.  It's a while since I ate there, (last year sometime), so I'm prepared to give it another go, but last time there were a group of 6 of us and not one of us has wanted to go back again to eat.  I'm talking evening meals btw - not lunch.

I shall keep an open mind and report back in due course.

Only been for lunch....Had a curried cod dish which I enjoyed.

I think they've expanded into the premises behind now also.

7 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Only been for lunch....Had a curried cod dish which I enjoyed.

I think they've expanded into the premises behind now also.

Yes they took over the old "Carriages" restaurant, (Peppercorn), and they've done a really nice job of it.  I hope the food is good.  If so, there will be few nicer places in this city to eat or drink.

On 07/02/2020 at 07:25, DerbyTup said:

I raise once more, the subject of Oisoi - and its latest reincarnation, the Bushi-Bushi Cafe.   As you will know, the super, fabulous, luxurious, stupendous, Oisoi main restaurant closed last year, at VERY short notice.  (I got an email that morning telling me that our table of 10 for the evening was cancelled as the place had shut down).  

They have  another place in the Gatecrasher Apartments building on Arundel Street.  With the quirky name of "Oisoi Deli Market Foods and Bushi-Bushi restaurant".  This supposedly sells a simplified version of the delights that used to be available in the old main restaurant.

I thought I'd give it a try this saturday night so I phoned up around 7pm yesterday to book a table.  The phone just rang and rang then went dead.  The website is pretty useless because it just takes you back to the old Oisoi website.  So, short of going into town and physically walking in there, it's not possible to know!  Seems a bloody strange way of running a business to me!

Does anyone know if this place is still open?  Or has it gone the way of it's bigger brother and softly and suddenly vanished away?  

Hello DT, I went to Oisoi Deli Market and Bushi Bushi mid Jan....................it only opens during the day, closing around 7.

It operates on 2 levels.................downstairs is quite casual and offers great soups, noodle dishes, stir fries and even pizza!!. You build all these to your own requirements, choosing noodle type, broth, meat/veg options etc. Due to the weather in mid Jan we chose 2 warming soup noodle dishes and a couple of side salads which were all good quality. Nice touch is that you can help yourself to free limes, chilies etc and spice your own dish

Upstairs on the mezzanine level above the Market is a more formal sit down menu led restaurant. It does look like they've taken some of the fixtures and fittings from the original restaurant

Talking to staff, they are due to open another branch............ Osoi Gatherings on Boston St ..........from memory there was a soft launch at the start of Feb, so it may already be open.  There are also plans to open another high end restaurant to replace the original.......... 2 sites were currently being considered

16 hours ago, Palladino said:

Hello DT, I went to Oisoi Deli Market and Bushi Bushi mid Jan....................it only opens during the day, closing around 7.

It operates on 2 levels.................downstairs is quite casual and offers great soups, noodle dishes, stir fries and even pizza!!. You build all these to your own requirements, choosing noodle type, broth, meat/veg options etc. Due to the weather in mid Jan we chose 2 warming soup noodle dishes and a couple of side salads which were all good quality. Nice touch is that you can help yourself to free limes, chilies etc and spice your own dish

Upstairs on the mezzanine level above the Market is a more formal sit down menu led restaurant. It does look like they've taken some of the fixtures and fittings from the original restaurant

Talking to staff, they are due to open another branch............ Osoi Gatherings on Boston St ..........from memory there was a soft launch at the start of Feb, so it may already be open.  There are also plans to open another high end restaurant to replace the original.......... 2 sites were currently being considered

This is very helpful information.  Many thanks.

I'm sure I read somewhere on the web that the Bushi-Bushi thing was open until 9pm?  But if it's closing at 7pm that's why I couldn't get through then.  I wonder if they've ever considered having a really technical piece of kit, called "an answerphone" which let's customers know their opening hours - or maybe even updating the website with the times they are open?  Tbh - I don't think they deserve to be in business if they can't even do these simple things right.  

The food still sounds good to me and I like the "build your own" bit.  I will look to check it out, but I don't usually eat a lot during the day, I like to have my main meal in the evening, so their 7pm close will probably not work for me.  However, maybe for a light lunch it's an option.

Interesting to hear they are opening another branch - with another slightly different name!  Oisoi "Gatherings" eh?  At least they are retaining the "Oisoi" name, which was building up some credibility in this city until they vamooshed into thin air.  

EDIT:  I just went and Googled this "Oisoi gatherings" place on Boston Street - there's some interesting comments by one reviewer...read this...

"Difficult to find, but well worth it! Limited on street parking not far away, but this is in the middle of the New Era pedestrianised development. It doesn't have a sign up yet. Go through the automatic doors into KH Oriental and head up the escalator or in the lift. From the lift, follow the wall around to the left to find the Oisoi entrance."

So, back to what I was saying then...

They don't answer the phone.  They don't have the opening times on their website.  They don't even have a sign up telling folks where they are!

I think they need some help with "marketing" somehow!

Edited by DerbyTup

Taking dear friend out for a special birthday lunch, can a SF members recommend somewhere.?  Not a pub phoned a couple of places but they are not open on a Monday........shame,,, Thanks in advance.

Rhubarb shed cafe is lovely . Better to book though !

7 hours ago, autumn said:

Rhubarb shed cafe is lovely . Better to book though !

I agree, great value lovely food. Booking definitely advised at weekends.