Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

Enjoyed a great "posh nosh" meal at Juke & Loe on Eccy Rd this evening, highly recommended,

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:12, DerbyTup said:

I always think folks who quote themselves are a bit sad, but I'm doing it myself now!  In the above, posted in July this year, I mentioned that it felt like some cracks were starting to appear at Oisoi and this was usually the first sign of a restaurant in trouble.

Last night we should have been there for a family party.  We got an email first thing yesterday morning saying that Oisoi has closed down.

Apparently they do plan to re-open in mid-October, but under a different name.  Those of you in business will perhaps be able to second-guess what this means?

For me, it just confirms...I did see cracks and it was a sign of a restaurant in trouble.  Another one bites the dust.  Very sad but I suspect it's down to the usual problem that upmarket restaurants have in this city - folks just don't want to pay for it.  So, maybe the next reincarnation will be a "Oisoi lite" - a cheaper version of Asian fusion.  We'll see!

😕

Well it won't be at their original site. They have handed back the lease on that.

4 minutes ago, DnAuK said:

Well it won't be at their original site. They have handed back the lease on that.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that I was right again! 😃  They have opened an "Oisoi lite" version, on Arundel Street.  "Bushi Bushi" or summat daft like that it's called.  It's not anything like what Oisoi was, in terms of size, ambience, decor.  This is more of a cafe type place.  Anyhow, I won't knock it till I've tried it - and when I've tried it I'll pop back with a few comments on the same.  Meanwhile, it looks like they are planning to open a proper restaurant in the future - but who knows when?

1 minute ago, DerbyTup said:

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that I was right again! 😃  They have opened an "Oisoi lite" version, on Arundel Street.  "Bushi Bushi" or summat daft like that it's called.  It's not anything like what Oisoi was, in terms of size, ambience, decor.  This is more of a cafe type place.  Anyhow, I won't knock it till I've tried it - and when I've tried it I'll pop back with a few comments on the same.  Meanwhile, it looks like they are planning to open a proper restaurant in the future - but who knows when?

You call a fair few things right mate. Perhaps the original was just too ambitious for Sheffield. TBH it has proven that many things are.

Had a great meal at Grazie on Leopold Street. Lovely atmosphere, good service and and extremely fresh fish. Would highly recommend a visit.

These days have been for lunchtime meals at Na Pedra (Abbeydale Rd)   and The Mediterranean (Sharrow Vale Rd).   Personally, would not go back  to neither.

Na pedra is a Portuguese themed restaurant, keenly priced.   We had some good octopus, some mediocre fried squid (batter was not sticking to the squid), mediocre rissols  (tasted like industrially made/cooked from frozen).  Nice bread (was from the Forge Bakehouse, on the opposite corner of the street), great to dip into the fish sauces in the dishes.    I do not even remeber which desserts we had.  Best  part was an intelligent young lady  waiter from Lithuania who made conversation with us and was pleasant and very good.

At the Mediterranean my friends had some nice seabass, chicken, fried brie, and I had some fried whitebait which was tasty - but fish was large-ish and not real small whitebait.    Then  I was seved an inedible lobster platter (lobster was still half frozen, mussels  fidge temperature, crab from a tin) , my friends had squid, chicken and lamb - and all enjoyed it.   To be fair, they did not charge me for my main course.  Nice Prosecco,  but desserts were anonymous, nothng to describe much  (limoncello ice cream, lemon tart, chocolate sponge).

It is a fact that it is relly quite dificult to have nice Christmas lunch with collegues, always end paying well but eating poorly.

Edited by MaxVinella

Only been to Na Pedra once and it was great.

My feeling is that at Na Pedra there were good things (like the octopus) and much lesser ones.  Never like where there is such a disparity of quality across dishes.   I am glad that you chose a series of good ones - may be better luck for me another time.

Edited by MaxVinella

20 hours ago, MaxVinella said:

These days have been for lunchtime meals at Na Pedra (Abbeydale Rd)   and The Mediterranean (Sharrow Vale Rd).   Personally, would not go back  to neither.

Na pedra is a Portuguese themed restaurant, keenly priced.   We had some good octopus, some mediocre fried squid (batter was not sticking to the squid), mediocre rissols  (tasted like industrially made/cooked from frozen).  Nice bread (was from the Forge Bakehouse, on the opposite corner of the street), great to dip into the fish sauces in the dishes.    I do not even remeber which desserts we had.  Best  part was an intelligent young lady  waiter from Lithuania who made conversation with us and was pleasant and very good.

At the Mediterranean my friends had some nice seabass, chicken, fried brie, and I had some fried whitebait which was tasty - but fish was large-ish and not real small whitebait.    Then  I was seved an inedible lobster platter (lobster was still half frozen, mussels  fidge temperature, crab from a tin) , my friends had squid, chicken and lamb - and all enjoyed it.   To be fair, they did not charge me for my main course.  Nice Prosecco,  but desserts were anonymous, nothng to describe much  (limoncello ice cream, lemon tart, chocolate sponge).

It is a fact that it is relly quite dificult to have nice Christmas lunch with collegues, always end paying well but eating poorly.

I'm surprised The Mediterranean cant serve a decent lobster platter- I thought that they used to have quite a reputation for their fish dishes- but frozen lobster & crab from a tin is appalling especially when there is great fishmongers almost next door.  That rules it out for me.

Must say that my four colleagues mostly had some good food at The Mediterranean  (the seabass and the scallops looked good), it was my lobster platter that was bad.  And must say that they took it off the bill, fair enough - plus we were the first group in the restaurant at lunch service.

Had several nice lunches at The Summerhouse at Dore, always busy as well.

9 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I'm surprised The Mediterranean cant serve a decent lobster platter- I thought that they used to have quite a reputation for their fish dishes- but frozen lobster & crab from a tin is appalling especially when there is great fishmongers almost next door.  That rules it out for me.

I've never had a bad meal at the Mediterranean.