Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

I tried this place for the first time last week and can verify the OPs claim that it was delicious, and (in my rather more limited experience) authentic. Also reasonably priced, which is a bonus. Will definitely be going back.

Looking forward to a visit to this place tomorrow. I lived in Naples for 5 years so I'm very excited about it!!! Especially the salsiccia & friarielli pizza. 

On 29/03/2019 at 12:53, MaxVinella said:

Yes I do because I am perhaps too fussy about my food.    It is my weakness,  and having  quite an interest in cooking,   if I go to a pizza place and do not see good quality ingredients, I know it won't be good.

While waiting for my pizza, asked the same questions also to Porter pizza, and to the pizzaiolo in Proove.  Both of them use Caputo,  one uses Mutti tomatoes, the  other I think  Petti peeled  tomatoes.   The important thing is that they are done with the San Marzano variety, and not with chopped (because they would contain additives).

Plus, I enjoy some baking myself and buy the Caputo flour from an online shop.

So, am sorry if my  report seemed dodgy to you - but honestly have nothng to do with pizza shops - except that like pizza and italian food a lot.

BWs

MV

I think you explained that very well and thank you for bringing this new place to our attention.  You clearly do know about food and have good taste.  I believe you anyhow!  

I didn't know about "caputo" flour, but I do think that Proove and Porter make the best pizza's I've tried so far, in Sheffield.  They are close to what you get in Italy.   I've visited Naples and had the pleasure of spending a few days with my Neapolitan host.  In addition to taking me out sailing on his boat (we visited the island of Ischia) he introduced me to the Neapolitan pizza scene.  Naples is a noisy, dirty city, but the little labyrinth's of back streets with tiny pizza shops and cafe's is amazing and they serve up the best pizza I've ever eaten.  If this place is serving up pizza's in that mold then...."I'm in"!

You just have to try,   that's the best thing to do.   I am sure that Proove  use Caputo,  Porter too but do not know if red or blue (yet).     Of course Naples has great pizzerie, some of them remarkable in tradition as well  innovation - the Gotha of pizza works there.      

But I also found interesting the Roman pizza in its two version, "teglia"  and   "piana".        The first one is cooked in a flat pan,  it is about one inch tall and much aereated - because of the high-hydration long-prooving dough.       The piana is flatter than the neapolitan,    and does not the "cornicione", i.e. the raised borders.       The king of  roman "teglia"  pizza is called Gabriele Bonci   (look him up)

https://imgur.com/sjq19aV

Edited by MaxVinella

On 23/04/2019 at 15:00, MaxVinella said:

You just have to try,   that's the best thing to do.   I am sure that Proove  use Caputo,  Porter too but do not know if red or blue (yet).     Of course Naples has great pizzerie, some of them remarkable in tradition as well  innovation - the Gotha of pizza works there.      

But I also found interesting the Roman pizza in its two version, "teglia"  and   "piana".        The first one is cooked in a flat pan,  it is about one inch tall and much aereated - because of the high-hydration long-prooving dough.       The piana is flatter than the neapolitan,    and does not the "cornicione", i.e. the raised borders.       The king of  roman "teglia"  pizza is called Gabriele Bonci   (look him up)

https://imgur.com/sjq19aV

You are a mine of information Sir (or Madam).  Very interesting.  

Have you acquired this knowledge from working in the food or catering industry, or is it something you've gained through travel? 

No, I am Italian but have lived in Sheffield since 1984.  I work in science and medicine,  but always loved to eat and cook good food.   Favourites of course italian but also chinese and japanese.

On 28/04/2019 at 23:14, MaxVinella said:

No, I am Italian but have lived in Sheffield since 1984.  I work in science and medicine,  but always loved to eat and cook good food.   Favourites of course italian but also chinese and japanese.

Interesting.  I also work in science and medicine.  I'm self-employed nowadays but spent many years working in industry and learned a lot from travelling/eating out with professional clients.  

A few years ago I wouldn't have put Italian as one of my favourites, but that's probably because there are so many poor ones in this city, restaurants that claim to be Italian but aren't, either that, or they are just pasta and pizza places.  However, I've always enjoyed Marco at Milano's and Vero Gusto.  They are quite expensive but good quality.  One of my favourites is Armando's at the Talbot Hotel, Belper, Derbyshire.  That's probably too far for most Sheffielder's to travel for a meal, but I think it's worth the 45 minute drive.  Any other suggestions for Italian food would be most welcome?

I like Chinese food - my wife isn't so keen.  I think she finds a lot of the dishes rather gloopy and gelatinous.  But we do go occasionally.  We've done the usual trail around Wong Ting, China Red and Candytown and enjoyed each for different reasons.  Candytown has closed now and is called China Town.  We went a few weeks ago and it was very good - just a pity they've packed so many tables in there, so close together.

Japanese - well...we don't have a single decent Japanese restaurant in the city do we?  We've been to Wasabi Sabi a few times - it's o.k. nothing  special.  And we went to that Sumo San place as well, but that didn't stay open long.  We usually go to Manchester for Japanese - the Sapporro Tepanyakki is good food - just a bit rowdy at times.  

My favourite is probably Indian.  There's no shortage of those and of course a huge thread debating which is the best curry house in Sheffield, so no need for me to add to that here.  

Hi

my favourite italians in Sheffield (not pizzas)  are Akentannos which is a Sardinian cuisine (In Sharrow Vale)  and Sicilia nel Cuore (previously La Dolce Vita) in Crosspool.

Particularly if you talk to the chef beforehand (I phone to make sure they have  suckling pig  and vongole/cockles, respectively).     The seada pastry in Akentannos is divine.

I like Chinese a lot - current favourite is HuiWei in Glossop Rd.  As take away WokThisWay, but only the one in Howard street.

Japanese that I like is one of the Sticks'n'Sushi in London (I have been n Greenwich and in Covent Garden), the one on the top of Hilton Paris (expensive but great), and Hamasei in Rome.    Kome and Koko   in Florence, never miss when I go back there.    Many others that I have tried were average.      There is no japanese worth spending in Sheffield. 

Bws

MV

Edited by MaxVinella

On 28/05/2019 at 07:48, DerbyTup said:

Interesting.  I also work in science and medicine.  I'm self-employed nowadays but spent many years working in industry and learned a lot from travelling/eating out with professional clients.  

A few years ago I wouldn't have put Italian as one of my favourites, but that's probably because there are so many poor ones in this city, restaurants that claim to be Italian but aren't, either that, or they are just pasta and pizza places.  However, I've always enjoyed Marco at Milano's and Vero Gusto.  They are quite expensive but good quality.  One of my favourites is Armando's at the Talbot Hotel, Belper, Derbyshire.  That's probably too far for most Sheffielder's to travel for a meal, but I think it's worth the 45 minute drive.  Any other suggestions for Italian food would be most welcome?

I like Chinese food - my wife isn't so keen.  I think she finds a lot of the dishes rather gloopy and gelatinous.  But we do go occasionally.  We've done the usual trail around Wong Ting, China Red and Candytown and enjoyed each for different reasons.  Candytown has closed now and is called China Town.  We went a few weeks ago and it was very good - just a pity they've packed so many tables in there, so close together.

Japanese - well...we don't have a single decent Japanese restaurant in the city do we?  We've been to Wasabi Sabi a few times - it's o.k. nothing  special.  And we went to that Sumo San place as well, but that didn't stay open long.  We usually go to Manchester for Japanese - the Sapporro Tepanyakki is good food - just a bit rowdy at times.  

My favourite is probably Indian.  There's no shortage of those and of course a huge thread debating which is the best curry house in Sheffield, so no need for me to add to that here.  

Oisoi in the Peace Gardens does excellent Chinese food. I had the best Kung Po chicken  since Hue Wei changed their recipe a few years ago. One of those dishes where you will remember the sheer pleasure and amazement you felt on the first mouth full for ever!!  Its similar to a place in London called (IIRC) Blue Elephant in that the menu is a small selection of popular dishes from across Asia. Normally I'm suspicious about places that serve Kung Po Chicken, a  lamb Massaman and a amb Karahi but they do it well- if expensive (considering the cost of ingredients). Anyhow the reason for the post is that Oisoi are opening (has just opened?) a new less formal restaurant (which I assume means cheaper) in the Gatecrasher building, along with a small oriental supermarket and small 'food hall'.  I look forward to trying the restaurant in the hope its as good quality as OiSoi.

If anyone has been please comment!

Edited by lil-minx92

On 29/05/2019 at 11:26, lil-minx92 said:

Oisoi in the Peace Gardens does excellent Chinese food. I had the best Kung Po chicken  since Hue Wei changed their recipe a few years ago. One of those dishes where you will remember the sheer pleasure and amazement you felt on the first mouth full for ever!!  Its similar to a place in London called (IIRC) Blue Elephant in that the menu is a small selection of popular dishes from across Asia. Normally I'm suspicious about places that serve Kung Po Chicken, a  lamb Massaman and a amb Karahi but they do it well- if expensive (considering the cost of ingredients). Anyhow the reason for the post is that Oisoi are opening (has just opened?) a new less formal restaurant (which I assume means cheaper) in the Gatecrasher building, along with a small oriental supermarket and small 'food hall'.  I look forward to trying the restaurant in the hope its as good quality as OiSoi.

I'd agree at the Kung Po at Oisoi its excellent, I always want to try something else there but go back to it.

On 29/05/2019 at 11:26, lil-minx92 said:

Thanks for the tip minx.  That sounds interesting.

I went to the Blue Elephant restaurant in London many years ago - I thought it was just a Thai restaurant back then - but I may be wrong.  I'm going back maybe 25 years - all I remember is it was in Fulham and they had all these little water features in the restaurant - very nice.  

I am also very sceptical of places that try and do different cuisines from across Asia.  It's so often a case of "Jack of all Trades" - however,  I have been to a few places that do get it right (not here in Sheffield so far though) and it's great.  One of my favourite "fusion" restaurants is in  Manchester, it's called "Australasia" I'll put a link below.  I'm now going to look up this Oisoi place (I think there's one in Chesterfield with that name too) and I'll need to look up the Gatecrasher building as I'm not familiar with that.

Try this place if you're ever in Manchester and like fusion type food.  (It's usually booked up about 6 weeks in advance though).

http://australasia.uk.com/about/

22 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Thanks for the tip minx.  That sounds interesting.

I went to the Blue Elephant restaurant in London many years ago - I thought it was just a Thai restaurant back then - but I may be wrong.  I'm going back maybe 25 years - all I remember is it was in Fulham and they had all these little water features in the restaurant - very nice.  

I am also very sceptical of places that try and do different cuisines from across Asia.  It's so often a case of "Jack of all Trades" - however,  I have been to a few places that do get it right (not here in Sheffield so far though) and it's great.  One of my favourite "fusion" restaurants is in  Manchester, it's called "Australasia" I'll put a link below.  I'm now going to look up this Oisoi place (I think there's one in Chesterfield with that name too) and I'll need to look up the Gatecrasher building as I'm not familiar with that.

Try this place if you're ever in Manchester and like fusion type food.  (It's usually booked up about 6 weeks in advance though).

http://australasia.uk.com/about/

Thanks for the Australasia tip Derby :).

I didn’t know OiSoi were in Chesterfield. They seem to be expanding. I think they started with the oriental supermarket near Lakeside in Doncaster (Tai Sun I think). I used to shop there which is how I heard they were opening OiSoi in Sheffield.