Recommendations for Good places to eat in Sheffield

On 28/05/2019 at 07:48, DerbyTup said:

Interesting.  I also work in science and medicine.  I'm self-employed nowadays but spent many years working in industry and learned a lot from travelling/eating out with professional clients.  

A few years ago I wouldn't have put Italian as one of my favourites, but that's probably because there are so many poor ones in this city, restaurants that claim to be Italian but aren't, either that, or they are just pasta and pizza places.  However, I've always enjoyed Marco at Milano's and Vero Gusto.  They are quite expensive but good quality.  One of my favourites is Armando's at the Talbot Hotel, Belper, Derbyshire.  That's probably too far for most Sheffielder's to travel for a meal, but I think it's worth the 45 minute drive.  Any other suggestions for Italian food would be most welcome?

I like Chinese food - my wife isn't so keen.  I think she finds a lot of the dishes rather gloopy and gelatinous.  But we do go occasionally.  We've done the usual trail around Wong Ting, China Red and Candytown and enjoyed each for different reasons.  Candytown has closed now and is called China Town.  We went a few weeks ago and it was very good - just a pity they've packed so many tables in there, so close together.

Japanese - well...we don't have a single decent Japanese restaurant in the city do we?  We've been to Wasabi Sabi a few times - it's o.k. nothing  special.  And we went to that Sumo San place as well, but that didn't stay open long.  We usually go to Manchester for Japanese - the Sapporro Tepanyakki is good food - just a bit rowdy at times.  

My favourite is probably Indian.  There's no shortage of those and of course a huge thread debating which is the best curry house in Sheffield, so no need for me to add to that here.  

What about Sakushi?  I've not been for a while, but I thought the food was pretty good, if a little pricey.

Saigon 68 is always amazingly fresh and so so cheap for the vast amount of food you get 

On 02/06/2019 at 11:04, Cyclone said:

What about Sakushi?  I've not been for a while, but I thought the food was pretty good, if a little pricey.

I didn't know about this place - thanks for mentioning it.  I had a quick look at the website - it looks good quality.  Doesn't look like they have a teppanyaki table though, but that's not the be all and end all of course.  I'm not really keen on sushi so them little conveyor belts with raw fish going around don't do it for me.  But it looks like they do very nice quality food so I may well give that a try.

I must say, based on Lil-Minx's recommendation we tried Oisoi,  two weeks ago and were VERY impressed.  Really nice food.  In fact, we'll be back there again this weekend with the kids.  BTW Lil-Minx, if you're reading this...no there isn't an Oisoi in Chesterfield.  I was getting my restaurant names mixed up, it's "O-Takuda" in Chesterfield.  (I know, nothing like "Oisoi" is it?  begins with an "O" and that's about it!).  :blush:

On 11/06/2019 at 09:20, Bruce & Simpson said:

Saigon 68 is always amazingly fresh and so so cheap for the vast amount of food you get 

I've never been but I've heard a few folks say just that.  I think what puts me off some of these places on London Road is that they appear to be a bit phoney.  So although the name of this and others suggest they are Vietnamese, they aren't really.  They're nothing like Vietnamese food - it's basically a Chinese place  trying to differentiate itself by pretending to be Vietnamese.   Still, I suppose we could say the same about the Chinese places as well, it's not really Chinese food as we'd get it in China.  So what am I talking about then?  I don't know!:huh:

You can get Chinese food like you'd get in China, if you see a lot of local Chinese folk eating there then it's probably closer to that.  Personally I'm not a big fan of authentic Chinese food, I prefer the westernised dishes.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

You can get Chinese food like you'd get in China, if you see a lot of local Chinese folk eating there then it's probably closer to that.  Personally I'm not a big fan of authentic Chinese food, I prefer the westernised dishes.

Funny you should say that  - HuiWei in Glossop Rd  runs at lunch time a sort of chinese-student-canteen,  with a short menu in chinese, and am told with speial prices.   It gets packed every day at 12:30.

From what I could see, it  was mainly soups and chowmeins, but it did look good.      I could not have it because I am 35 years too old.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

...///...   They're nothing like Vietnamese food - it's basically a Chinese place  trying to differentiate itself by pretending to be Vietnamese.   Still, I suppose we could say the same about the Chinese places as well, it's not really Chinese food as we'd get it in China.  ...///...

Last week I was in Tuscany,    and had some delicious Japanese food (not just sushi)  in a place called Nagoya Restaurant.     It was in Pistoia,  elegant and all was superfresh.    Except that the lady owner, and all the staff (except two sushi chefs)  were Chinese!    I guess is a Darwinian concept, you either evolve/differentiate or you do not survive in the long term.

MV

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

Edited by MaxVinella

8 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I didn't know about this place - thanks for mentioning it.  I had a quick look at the website - it looks good quality.  Doesn't look like they have a teppanyaki table though, but that's not the be all and end all of course.  I'm not really keen on sushi so them little conveyor belts with raw fish going around don't do it for me.  But it looks like they do very nice quality food so I may well give that a try.

I must say, based on Lil-Minx's recommendation we tried Oisoi,  two weeks ago and were VERY impressed.  Really nice food.  In fact, we'll be back there again this weekend with the kids.  BTW Lil-Minx, if you're reading this...no there isn't an Oisoi in Chesterfield.  I was getting my restaurant names mixed up, it's "O-Takuda" in Chesterfield.  (I know, nothing like "Oisoi" is it?  begins with an "O" and that's about it!).  :blush:

😂😂 The memory plays tricks as we get older! ;)

I recommend the kung po chicken everytime! Its not the sweet n sour sauce with some chilli thrown in that  most Chinese takeaways and restaurants seem to peddle

13 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Thank you oh Minxy one - there's nothing wrong with my memory though and I shall make sure I ask for the Kung Fu chicken  this time.😉

Edited by DerbyTup

On 13/06/2019 at 08:19, DerbyTup said:

I've never been but I've heard a few folks say just that.  I think what puts me off some of these places on London Road is that they appear to be a bit phoney.  So although the name of this and others suggest they are Vietnamese, they aren't really.  They're nothing like Vietnamese food - it's basically a Chinese place  trying to differentiate itself by pretending to be Vietnamese.   Still, I suppose we could say the same about the Chinese places as well, it's not really Chinese food as we'd get it in China.  So what am I talking about then?  I don't know!:huh:

Lol

just go and enjoy, you’ll love it 

Yesterday we tried Urban Choola in Ecclesall Rd - Maveli was closed on a Sunday- and we had a great meal.      The floor manager was extremely nice and attentive,   we had some very fresh Pan Puri  (crispy outside and soft and flavorsome warm chickpea salad inside),  Spinach and Onion Bhaji in a mint sauce,  followed by a Prawn curry with butter mini naans (perfect to fold and fill with the curry).  A Chicken Masala with rice,  all with Mango lassie and fizzy water.

Bill was very reasonable,   restaurant quite busy for a Sunday lunchtime, very happy.

it would have been busy it was fathers day

Correct, the girl actually mentioned that