Game of Thrones series 8.

Still no sure how I feel about the final episode.

Generally, I didn't feel season 8 was up to the usual high standards of the entire show. Final episode though, some bits I liked, Drogon's reaction to the throne was meaningful, and I think the best person got the job as ruler. Other characters went out in to the world according to their natures. Still, I feel strangely unsatisfied, and I'm not entirely sure why...

Compared with how Breaking Bad ended, where everything knitted together and just felt right, Game of Thrones just felt like it fell a bit flat for me somewhere.

Right, finished it.

***SPOILERS**** probably.

First off, the whole thing felt rushed. In 7 series, they’ve never rushed anything, this one they’ve rushed everything. Arya turning up in the nick of time at  the battle of winterfell - how? How did the mount end up how he did - we had a series of him lurking in the background, very ominously and looking rather grey, that had 30 seconds really. Cersei spent the series looking out of sodding window and doing precious little else. They made characters do odd things to wrap things up quickly - danys descent into madness - if that’s what it was - needed to be spread out, she deserved better. Not sure what to do with Arya? Stick her on a boat.

Having said all that, it’s not deserved the flack it’s got. The ending was neat enough - not great but it kept everyone guessing, the production values were sky high and everyone, particularly emilia Clark and Peter Dinklage put in top performances. A mixed bag overall, could have been better but could have been worse (dexter, true blood).

I must be the only person that enjoyed it ;)

33 minutes ago, melthebell said:

No I enjoyed it too. It was definitely rushed but it was satisfying enough but the best enjoyment has been listening to other people, who were clearly so much more invested in the characters than I was, having near breakdowns over what happened.

1 minute ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

No I enjoyed it too. It was definitely rushed but it was satisfying enough but the best enjoyment has been listening to other people, who were clearly so much more invested in the characters than I was, having near breakdowns over what happened.

but it baffles me how it can be rushed, it took twice as long to make as the previous series ;)

49 minutes ago, melthebell said:

but it baffles me how it can be rushed, it took twice as long to make as the previous series ;)

Yeah but all that time was spent working on the battle/destruction scenes, building a large scale Winterfell set and on rendering all that CGI. The series producers turned down the opportunity for more episodes when they were offered which is why some things just come out of nowhere without any real attempt to seed it beforehand (not including Daenarys, that stuff was obvious long ago regardless of what other people might want to believe) like Arya The Explorer or Bran.

There are lot of valid criticisms about lazy writing etc but I don't really care, it was fun to watch.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

5 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

Yeah but all that time was spent working on the battle/destruction scenes, building a large scale Winterfell set and on rendering all that CGI. The series producers turned down the opportunity for more episodes when they were offered which is why some things just come out of nowhere without any real attempt to seed it beforehand (not including Daenarys, that stuff was obvious long ago regardless of what other people might want to believe) like Arya The Explorer or Bran.

There are lot of valid criticisms about lazy writing etc but I don't really care, it was fun to watch.

thought most of it was waiting for winter so they could film in the snow? ive also heard rumours it was so cast could do other stuff, so the writers could do star wars etc etc

you can still write while all the above is happening

43 minutes ago, melthebell said:

thought most of it was waiting for winter so they could film in the snow? ive also heard rumours it was so cast could do other stuff, so the writers could do star wars etc etc

you can still write while all the above is happening

From what I've heard from others the two guys running the show just wanted to move on to something else (like Star Wars).

Yes they had to wait for winter. They also spent about 2 months just filming the outdoor battle scenes in episode 3 once winter had arrived, plus several more week to film other battle scenes in indoor studio sets.

5 hours ago, melthebell said:

I didn't not like it, I'd give it a 7 rather than a solid 9 more which I'd rate the rest. The final episode wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe but given the high standards it had always achieved it was a bit of let down.

Now I'll tell what hasn't been rushed - Chernobyl. Brutal.

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I didn't not like it, I'd give it a 7 rather than a solid 9 more which I'd rate the rest. The final episode wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe but given the high standards it had always achieved it was a bit of let down.

Now I'll tell what hasn't been rushed - Chernobyl. Brutal.

Same. It's well been worth watching. When you contrast with previous seasons, it's not up to par, so that's a bit disappointing. Life goes on...