Brunei behaving like the era is the 1300s

22 minutes ago, woodview said:

But lots of the world is moving backwards. Indonesia is also hotting up on Sharia laws.

Only in one small province, Aceh.

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Only in one small province, Aceh.

I was also thinking of Malasia, got mixed up, in eastern provinces and on Borneo also. Not to the extent of the Brunei article though.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

I was also thinking of Malasia, got mixed up, in eastern provinces and on Borneo also. Not to the extent of the Brunei article though.

Again, I think that's overstated.  The Malaysian constitution gives states the right to pass sharia law, but so far only three out of god knows how many have done so, and none of those rules have been implemented because they are prima facie against the Federal States of Malaysia constitution.

I think there is a lot of confusion about sharia law and the way it's implemented.  Sharia courts exist - even in the UK - but they are effectively toothless and usually only involved in matrimonial disputes and that kind of thing.  I've yet to see anyone have their hand amputated for shoplifting at Heeley Mosque.

"George Clooney calls for hotel boycott over Brunei LGBT laws"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47744566

I shall refrain from making any 'celebs poking their noses in' comments as his wife is a very well respected human rights lawyer and he probably knows more about the situatiion than we do!

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I shall refrain from making any 'celebs poking their noses in' comments as his wife is a very well respected human rights lawyer and he probably knows more about the situatiion than we do!

I'll follow his advice and not use the Dorchester!

Elton John has joined the  campaign to boycott the hotels.

On 29/03/2019 at 16:33, Top Cats Hat said:

Well thank goodness! I've been pacing waiting to hear what Mr Clooney thinks I should do. Thankfully Ellen has also re-tweeted to tell us all not to use these hotels, annoying,  since I often hang out in luxury hotels when I'm not working. 

No of course I know why they've said/tweeted this etc and I guess every little helps but as far as I'm aware the Sultan comes from a background of Oil and unimaginable wealth I can hardly see this having any impact what so ever and that's if you manage to convince everyone (who can afford these places) to boycott them - which is highly unlikely, lets be honest most people couldn't care less about the intricate background ownership and workings of most places which is why Apple, Nike and a plethora of other business are globally massive despite the allegations of slave labour etc...  they simply just want the product or services. 

12 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

and that's if you manage to convince everyone (who can afford these places) to boycott them - which is highly unlikely,

Branding is more important than ever in this day and age and most luxury hotel bookings are made by corporations rather than wealthy individuals.

It only takes a couple of high profile companies maybe with a gay CEO to publicly shun this hotel chain (let's not forget that there are dozens of luxury hotel chains around the world) to get the ball rolling and once the boycott reaches a tipping point, other companies who neither know nor care what happens in Brunei pull out because they don't want to be branded 'unmutual' by the majority.