UK.Government buys £12m luxury New York apartment for diplomat.

Did the Government spend too much?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK Government have spent £12m on an apartment?

• Yes
    • No

Guest makapaka
29 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Clearly, that's not true. Do you think a hotel would be happy to have a proliferation of CCTV cameras and a viewing suite installed?

So does every travelling politician / dignitary have a house purchased for them on their travels?

keep justifying the purchase of a £12m house for an individual with taxpayers money if you like - it’s up to you. 

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

So does every travelling politician / dignitary have a house purchased for them on their travels?

keep justifying the purchase of a £12m house for an individual with taxpayers money if you like - it’s up to you. 

It is not for a travelling politician.  It is for a permanent trade negotiator who would be living there full-time, until he is replaced by another who - guess what - would live there too.

You make it sound like they have bought this place for a guy who gets to keep it to hand down to his kids.

Simple fact:  The Foreign Office owns property around the world worth close to £2bn, used for embassies, ambassador residences, consular offices. 

In some expensive cities - like NY for example - they have rented instead.  For example,  it pays £1.4 a year in rent for consular offices on a fixed term lease of around 15 years.  Do the math and tell me again which strategy makes more sense.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

No, they probably stay in the  building their country already owns - like when Trump came to the UK he stayed at the US ambassador’s official residence, Winfield House, in Regent’s Park.

Guest makapaka
58 minutes ago, bendix said:

It is not for a travelling politician.  It is for a permanent trade negotiator who would be living there full-time, until he is replaced by another who - guess what - would live there too.

You make it sound like they have bought this place for a guy who gets to keep it to hand down to his kids.

Simple fact:  The Foreign Office owns property around the world worth close to £2bn, used for embassies, ambassador residences, consular offices. 

In some expensive cities - like NY for example - they have rented instead.  For example,  it pays £1.4 a year in rent for consular offices on a fixed term lease of around 15 years.  Do the math and tell me again which strategy makes more sense.

None of it makes sense it’s a ludicrous waste of money.

nothing you have said provides any justification for the cost does it.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

Buying something outright for £12m that you can sell in the future is a damn sight more sensible than spending £1.4m a year to rent somewhere on a fixed 15 year lease. 

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Well, yeah, actually it does.

What doesn't make sense is you refusing to accept it makes sense when the figures clearly shows that it . . . ummm . . makes sense.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

Buying something outright for £12m that you can sell in the future is a damn sight more sensible than spending £1.4m a year to rent somewhere on a fixed 15 year lease. 

Why do you have to spend 1.4m a year to rent somewhere?

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Well, yeah, actually it does.

What doesn't make sense is you refusing to accept it makes sense when the figures clearly shows that it . . . ummm . . makes sense.

If you are happy to have your tax money spent on large value property purchases that’s fine - you’re prerogative.

4 hours ago, makapaka said:

Where have I tried to justify the purchase, or made any comments about what happens to other travelling dignitaries?

I was merely refuting your point. Try reading a bit harder next time.

Link below to other properties the Government owns, interesting that last year they decided to spend £55m on refurbishing  the Washington Embassy.  How come it costs £55m to refurbish a property and how can it cost them £16m a year to run? Apparently a Freedom of Information request for the years 2015-2016 for a property in Hong Kong came back with £9m a year running costs

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-billion-pound-property-empire-14197406

Guest makapaka
15 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Where have I tried to justify the purchase, or made any comments about what happens to other travelling dignitaries?

I was merely refuting your point. Try reading a bit harder next time.

What point - the point I was making is in regard to the justification for spending the money - that’s what the thread is about.

Does John Mothersole have a company car or does he get the bus?

If so, why?

Then apply your answer to the same situation.

On 29/03/2019 at 10:00, makapaka said:

What point - the point I was making is in regard to the justification for spending the money - that’s what the thread is about.

The point that I highlighted in bold in my original reply, regardless of what the thread is about, although it is pertinent.

Your point was that providing security was just as easy in a hotel as in an apartment owned by the government.