Sex education in primary schools

As we have heard in the news, some parents are against their children being taught sex education at primary school level. What is the policy in Sheffield schools and in faith schools like Catholic ones.

I think that there`s a growing trend to expect schools to teach EVERYTHING and get great exam results. 

I don't know, but I think such education is vitally important. I don't know what the score is in faith schools these days, but I can vaguely recall sex ed at the Catholic Comprehensive I attended in Nottingham in the early 80's. It was taught as part of biology and covered nothing more than the bare essentials from a purely biological perspective. Nothing about relationships, consent, respect or contraception.

My primary school was not a faith school, but as far as I can recall there was no sex/relationships education at all.

Edited by Halibut

4 hours ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

As we have heard in the news, some parents are against their children being taught sex education at primary school level. What is the policy in Sheffield schools and in faith schools like Catholic ones.

Think this time round it's more to do with the teaching of LGBT relationships and mainly coming from the muslim community, being labeled the "Pick and mix" approach.

I guess there's always been disagreement amongst parents at what age exactly sex education should start.

What actually gets taught in schools should be decided by the Ministry for Education and should apply to all schools regardless of any minorities.

I think the discussion revolves around the age when sex ed is on the school menu, and what "kind" of things are taught. I am not up to speed with the correct terminology of all the different kinds of sexual variations, but should they be taught in say junior schools. I have no idea.

Angel1.

5 hours ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

The Gov. have published what they require state funded schools(inc.  faith schools) to do in the future. 

Effectively relationship, plumbing and sex education in Secondary.

Only relationship education in Primary.

The opposition in Primary from some religious individuals is mostly centred around LGBT issues.

The law require that Primary aged children need to know that some friendships, relationships, families etc. are not heterosexual and why. 

To be within the Law, School Governors are require to publicly publish  and check that the School policy is being adhered to. 

As this legislation is not applicable to 2019/2020, current School Policy will not reflect  the upcoming change. 

There is opposition from Jewish, Muslim, Catholic/Protestant, Tories, etc.,  groups and individuals who have a rainbow of problems, from parent rights to religious intolerance.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Guest makapaka

In 1990 in my last year in primary school we were shown a cartoon video of two cats rubbing their nexts together until

some fireworks appeared on screen followed by  a cartoon  of the fertilisation of an egg.

true story.

learnt more from kids in the playground and was never really told about it by my parents not that I would have wanted to.

as a parent now I’m secretly happy that the school has had to do the explaining if I’m being honest....

I’ve tried to follow the education my daughter has received all through school, to date (she’s now 14).

I’ve also done my best to be open and honest with her as she’s asked questions.

I’ve been very happy with the way issues have been discussed within school and the age appropriateness of the teachings, not just the mechanics, but more importantly relationships, LGBT and similar, safety and self confidence/self respect etc.

Although I still think parents have the main responsibility, schools have a big part to play. Also, in setting the timetable, schools can ensure everyone learns at roughly the same pace, thus avoiding rumours, incorrect information etc, as the kids talk.

Heard a radio discussion this morning involving the guy who developed the current initiative for primary schools. He explained that for this age group the material was about how families can be diverse-one parent, 2 parent, black, brown, white, mixed, disabled etc including that some families have 2 mums or 2 dads. No anatomy, description of sex or introduction of homosexuality. The religious contributor thought it was ok to talk about same sex parents only if a child in the class had suchlike- the underlying message being this would only apply in schools without a strong religious ethos 

It's vital that all schools have a responsible and effective Sex and Relationships programme.  This includes faith schools. 

My parents chose to opt out of this for me.  I don't think it was one of their better decisions and I would insist my children took part in their schools' programmes. 

I don't know if parents can still opt out but if so, I don't think they should be able to.  I think it should be an educational right as it is so important. 

It is important that young people are able to take control of their bodies and be confident to make their own informed choices.  It is also necessary to teach young people about the early stages of grooming and that how certain behaviours might put themselves at risk. 

If we can help prevent young people from feeling isolated and afraid and even from taking their own lives and instead offer them support, then even if only for this reason, we need to be open and honest in schools about LGBT relationships. 

4 hours ago, catmiss said:

Heard a radio discussion this morning involving the guy who developed the current initiative for primary schools. He explained that for this age group the material was about how families can be diverse-one parent, 2 parent, black, brown, white, mixed, disabled etc including that some families have 2 mums or 2 dads. No anatomy, description of sex or introduction of homosexuality. The religious contributor thought it was ok to talk about same sex parents only if a child in the class had suchlike- the underlying message being this would only apply in schools without a strong religious ethos 

The trouble with only discussing same sex relationships in primary schools if there is a child with same sex parents in the class is that children's experiences are not confined to the school setting.  They might have a friend living next door with same sex parents.  

Also, children have an awful habit of using the word 'gay' as an insult, even in primary schools.  Children need to have a grasp of why that's wrong and the effect it could have on others. 

If religious schools don't follow the curriculum and general ethos of UK society with regard to this and other issues they shouldn't receive any public funding. That begins with the basics like respect for sexual orientation, relationships, political views, class, ethnicity etc. The stuff that all public sector organisations write in their mission statements.

I'd abolish state funding of all 'faith schools' anyway. Good quality education involves developing a critical approach to everything. That is the opposite of blindly following a 'faith'.  Follow that stuff when you're an adult if you want, but indoctrinating children with it is abhorrent.

Edited by Bilge