Old Barbers in Sheffield, Harry Priestly [Wavy Davy]

Any one remember Harry  Priestly [Wavy  Davy]worked in the Park district finished up working in Oughtibridge great barber only you needed a day off for haircut lovely man.

It must have been late 40,s or early 50’s,the was a barbers at the Lepping’s Lane end of Wednesday’s ground.One of the barbers was a female who used a taper to singe the hair

Edited by sweetdexter
Punctuation

Vin Moorwood used to cut hair at Norfolk Bridge and it is said, a tram could be leaving the Wicker as you entered his shop and you could have your haircut and catch that tram he was very quick, he had a waxed moustache and very smart

1 hour ago, sweetdexter said:

It must have been late 40,s or early 50’s,the was a barbers at the Lepping’s Lane end of Wednesday’s ground. One of the barbers was a female who used a taper to singe the hair.

My local barber still keeps some tapers in a drawer but he tells me that nobody has asked for singeing for a long time! The shop near the Wednesday ground was Bayliss's (Albert Bayliss and his son Terry) at 158 Leppings Lane.

There was a barber called Harry known as  "wavey davey" at the bottom of Glossop road Oughtibridge , he did my very first hair cut ( told by my dad as can't remember he said i really made him earn his money that day much to dads embarrassment, it would  have been in the late 60,s ). I used to hate going as a kid he used to spend ages putting a daft wave in the front of my hair which i ruffled up as soon as outside, slightly redeemed by the sweet he gave you as a kid.

He certainly wasn't prone to rushing and had to keep going behind his curtain for a while to clear his chest, i don't know how old he was then in the early 80's but he would have to rest on you, i never  say any one brave enough to have a shave. He was still only charging 50p a cut in the 80's cheap if you weren't in a rush. Also he always said you should have come in the day before, my dad went in saying he was going to come tomorrow but came today as he would be quieter but it didn't work he was still quiet the day before and busy that day.

I once saw a guy sit in the chair with his flat cap on and got his hair cut without ever taking it off, Harry just cut around it.

Sweeney Todd/Jess Wragg bottom of Wood Street, thought your head was on a swivell.

On 27/03/2019 at 17:18, withitowl said:

Vin Moorwood used to cut hair at Norfolk Bridge and it is said, a tram could be leaving the Wicker as you entered his shop and you could have your haircut and catch that tram he was very quick, he had a waxed moustache and very smart

There was one like that near the top of Ellesmere Road in the 50s. Another Harry, he used to do us lads in three minutes and charged a tanner. He would slap on some fertiliser and comb the front into a quiff whether you wanted it or not. "Next!"

20 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

There was one like that near the top of Ellesmere Road in the 50s. Another Harry, he used to do us lads in three minutes and charged a tanner. He would slap on some fertiliser and comb the front into a quiff whether you wanted it or not. "Next!"

Photo of 'the Tanner barbers' on Picture Sheffield s25408, just to right of centre,

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Photo of 'the Tanner barbers' on Picture Sheffield s25408, just to right of centre,

That's the one!

Spoiler

The barber at the bottom of Wood Street used to stop for his lunch,midway through your haircut

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:28, retep said:

Sweeney Todd/Jess Wragg bottom of Wood Street, thought your head was on a swivell.

In the mid 60's I worked for a company that was on Wood Street but never had the pleasure of Mr.Wragg's attention, where on Wood Street was it, going down the hill ? also what district was Wood Street in as I could never figure it out: Lower Walkley, Owlerton (perhaps not), Hillfoot or Kelvin ?

17 hours ago, St Petre said:

In the mid 60's I worked for a company that was on Wood Street but never had the pleasure of Mr.Wragg's attention, where on Wood Street was it, going down the hill ? also what district was Wood Street in as I could never figure it out: Lower Walkley, Owlerton (perhaps not), Hillfoot or Kelvin ?

To the side of the parked cars,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20698&prevUrl=