Jump to content

Remembering bob a job weeks!

Recommended Posts

Discontinued in the 1990s on grounds of childrens safety, I bet some ex scouts can tell a tale or two about bob a job weeks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had never heard of it!

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8835299/Bob-a-job-week-background.html    Quite a nice intro to it.. does say that it was scrapped due to Health and Safety.

 

and then in 2011 apparently it started up again (although the Telegraph article says that unofficially it continuted): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050712/Scouts-bob-job-week-youngsters-sent-earn-cash.html 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eddie_shef said:

I had never heard of it!

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8835299/Bob-a-job-week-background.html    Quite a nice intro to it.. does say that it was scrapped due to Health and Safety.

 

I doubt if the writer had ever heard of it either if she thinks 5p was 'roughly' a shilling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

 

I thought it had been abolished well before the '90's , like 1971 when decimalisation came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, St Petre said:

I thought it had been abolished well before the '90's , like 1971 when decimalisation came in.

Bob-A-Job or shilling coins?

From memory, I think the shilling coins were still in circulation for a year or two after decimalisation and worth 5p (exactly, not roughly). Their purchasing power seemed to drop overnight when all the shops started rounding up prices, but that's another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

 Bob-A-Job or shilling coins?

From memory, I think the shilling coins were still in circulation for a year or two after decimalisation and worth 5p (exactly, not roughly). Their purchasing power seemed to drop overnight when all the shops started rounding up prices, but that's another story.

 

Bob_A-Job I meant,  I remember the scouts in my area used to operate from the All Saints vicarage institute at Grimesthorpe Road/Carwood Road.

Edited by St Petre
Add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:
 

I see the institute (Carwood Road) is still being used and the place stated as Mission rooms (Forncett Street ) is still there and all the time I lived in Sheffield -till 1986 )I never recall it being used for anything as it was always empty  but never vandalised and was once a small school at the turn of the last century. That's at the corner of Forncett Street/Cossey Road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, St Petre said:

I see the institute (Carwood Road) is still being used and the place stated as Mission rooms (Forncett Street ) is still there and all the time I lived in Sheffield -till 1986 )I never recall it being used for anything as it was always empty  but never vandalised and was once a small school at the turn of the last century. That's at the corner of Forncett Street/Cossey Road.

If you look on StreetView, you can see a dedication stone high on the gable of the Mission Rooms and what's left of a foundation stone below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

f you look on StreetView, you can see a dedication stone high on the gable of the Mission Rooms and what's left of a foundation stone below.

 

 

20 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

If you look on StreetView, you can see a dedication stone high on the gable of the Mission Rooms and what's left of a foundation stone below.

Yes Jim, another gift to the city from Thomas Firth (of Firth-Brown fame), what great benefactors to Sheffield that man and his son Mark were.

Edited by St Petre
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.