Major contribuition to road safety and reducing aggressive driving.

Just now, Padders said:

Or not at all.

Possibly, yes!

But, I don't have an issue with people driving at 80mph at night on an empty M1 for example.

3 hours ago, rudds1 said:

There will be a way round it just like there is ways round disabling restrictors on hgv using magnets etc 

There may be  a way round it, but, if a driver was speeding it`d be obvious he`d disconnected it because he`d be, well, speeding. All you have to do is introduce stiff penalties for anyone doing disconnecting said limiter.

2 hours ago, geared said:

I can't see it reducing it (aggression on the roads) one bit, in fact it will probably make it ten times worse.

The entire country isn't going to switch to these things overnight, these restricted vehicles are going to have to share the road with un-restricted ones for a long time.

I can only imagine the road rage and tailgating that will go on if cars are restricted to 70mph in the outside lane of the motorway.

Worse still if these cars are so heavily stuffed with safety tech people are going to realise this and take advantage, if the car will automatically brake to avoid a collision White van man is going to take that as an excuse to cut cars up, because he knows they will always stop for him.

Well I don`t agree with you at all, but, we`ll see won`t we ?

BTW, all vehicles are restricted to 70mph on the motorway......

Edited by Justin Smith

It's not about safety, it's about having justification to install limiters and tracking. The government wants this to implement per-mile/use-based road taxation and track the populations movements / stiffle any dissent AND from the lobbyist insurance companies who see profit in risk profiling and selling of your trip data for marketing or otherwise.

Edited by m0nkey

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

What a daft idea, of course it is an EU initiative, and as such we have slavishly agreed to it, instead of telling them to go forth and multiply.. 2019 and we are reducing speed limits, when common sense says we should be increasing them, in certain areas of course, Motorways, dual carriageways etc etc. Most of the limits were made when cars had rod brakes and crossply tyres.

Angel1.

"common sense says we should be increasing speed limits".

I would bet good money you`re in a minority on that one.

And it`s not a daft idea, it`s a FANTASTIC idea I`ve been arguing for this for years.. I can`t wait for it to be introduced, as I`m sure it WILL not only reduce dangerous accidents but make the roads less aggressive too.  I`m sure I`m not the only one to have noticed that when on a motorway with an average speed camera enforced speed limit the whole driving experience becomes much less aggressive, no cutting up, no tail gating, few Wazzocks weaving in and out of the lanes to gain 10 yards etc etc

When the M1 was first opened I believe the speed limit then on it was 100MPH, which was quickly reduced to....70MPH, at that time the cars then struggled to achieve ^80/90MPH

Now you safely travel at the speed limit of 70MPH, your regularly then are being overtaken by some AUDI, BMW, Jags, RangeRovers, Lorries etc @ estimated 80/90+MPH, you see them ten secs later screeching to a halt, by catching up with traffic in front, which brings me to my Pet Hate of people who Tailgate you (not allowing sufficient space).

If the speed limits were increased to say 80 people would then travel at 90...

If it were reduced to 50/60 (like roadworks) you see some still travel at 70MPH..

3 hours ago, Phili Buster said:

This already occurs and not just at 70, if you use the motorways at all you will come across numerous drivers doing 50, 60, 70 in outside lanes (lanes 2, 3 and 4) when there is no traffic at all in the inside lanes, It was reported, only the other day, that a driver had been stopped and fined by police for hogging an outside lane for 3+ miles and not moving over into the empty inside lane.

I'd have shot him.

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

Except they aren't, at all.

44 minutes ago, geared said:

Except they aren't, at all.

Sorry, I thought that was the law.

I suppose it depends on your definition of the words "restricted to".

Maybe that`s the excuse of all those drivers who habitually exceed the speed limits ? It`s not that they`re arrogant Wazzocks, they`re just ignorant in the other sense of the word, as in they don't know......

It has nothing to do with road safety its to implement driverless cars in the future.

My car already slows down to match that of the car in front when it is switched on to do so but why should i have to drive at 50 on a road that is designed to drive at 70?

2 hours ago, m0nkey said:

It's not about safety, it's about having justification to install limiters and tracking. The government wants this to implement per-mile/use-based road taxation and track the populations movements / stiffle any dissent AND from the lobbyist insurance companies who see profit in risk profiling and selling of your trip data for marketing or otherwise.

TBH I don`t give  a toss as to their motivations are (though I do actually think it`s safety and reducing pollution), I still think it`s a FANTASTIC idea.

What I find interesting is the sight of Petrolheads dancing on a pin. On the one hand they profess their hatred for speed cameras "revenue raising devices" they say, but they also object to something which would mean the elimination of speed cameras. There`s actually only one  theory which links the two, basically they just want to speed, and they don`t like anything which will stop them.

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

Sorry, I thought that was the law.

I suppose it depends on your definition of the words "restricted to".

Maybe that`s the excuse of all those drivers who habitually exceed the speed limits ? It`s not that they`re arrogant Wazzocks, they`re just ignorant in the other sense of the word, as in they don't know......

So HGV's are restricted to 70mph as well are they??  What about vehicles towing?  and what about smart motorways and roadworks??

Perhaps the only Wazzock here is the one making sweeping statements??

The only folk who want this kind of a restriction are those that cannot drive. Dodderers mudling around on the Motorways at 55/60 because they have no confidence to drive any faster. Driving at 20 when the limit is 30, because they are not confident to drive any faster in an urban area. Bet any one who makes a living "on the roads" will not be thrilled with this daft idea.

Regarding these "new" limits when they released on the public, who or what will tell your vehicle to slow down on a motorway for instance, especially on these new lengths of smart motorways where the speed limit is up and down, up and down. Has the technology even been invented to do it yet.  What if you are out in the country side, what will tell your car to slow down then. Or will it be similar to the battery debacle, "it seemed a good idea at the time" even though the miracle battery that will allow 400/500 miles between charges has not been invented yet. If it has it was certainly not fitted to my hybrid, 25 miles to a full charge.

As for those like JS who think this new idea will do away with cash generating cameras, dream on.

Angel1.

Just seen on TV news, satellite or speed sign camera in the car to do the job.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1