Major contribuition to road safety and reducing aggressive driving.

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

Not only will this make the roads safer but it`ll reduce aggression significantly, after all, what`s the point in hammering it to cut someone up, or tail gating them, or dangerously overtaking them, if the aggressive wazzock can`t exceed the speed limit anyway ?

I can't see it reducing it one bit, in fact it will probably make it ten times worse.

The entire country isn't going to switch to these things overnight, these restricted vehicles are going to have to share the road with un-restricted ones for a long time.

I can only imagine the road rage and tailgating that will go on if cars are restricted to 70mph in the outside lane of the motorway.

Worse still if these cars are so heavily stuffed with safety tech people are going to realise this and take advantage, if the car will automatically brake to avoid a collision White van man is going to take that as an excuse to cut cars up, because he knows they will always stop for him.

34 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

So what about police / paramedic vehicles ? Somehow they will be exempt so if they can be overcome normal cars will be able to be

overridden . As an example if you buy  a transit of some local company’s the vehicle is   Electronically restricted to say 65 mph but by using ids you can remove the restricter  yourself 

There are loads of parameters and options that are factory set that can't be switched on or off in IDS. Emergency vehicles probably will be unrestricted, but doesn't mean a regular car could be switched to unrestricted. By the time this comes in Flexray will be being used instead of CAN for loads more drive-by-wire stuff , so it will be effectively uncrackable if they want it to be.

25 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Unplugging the GPS receiver would be the obvious and easy way to do it.

Potentially, if it only has one gps receiver (unlikely) , and you are happy losing all the other positional features your car will have by then.

3 minutes ago, geared said:

I can't see it reducing it one bit, in fact it will probably make it ten times worse.

The entire country isn't going to switch to these things overnight, these restricted vehicles are going to have to share the road with un-restricted ones for a long time.

I can only imagine the road rage and tailgating that will go on if cars are restricted to 70mph in the outside lane of the motorway.

Worse still if these cars are so heavily stuffed with safety tech people are going to realise this and take advantage, if the car will automatically brake to avoid a collision White van man is going to take that as an excuse to cut cars up, because he knows they will always stop for him.

This already occurs and not just at 70, if you use the motorways at all you will come across numerous drivers doing 50, 60, 70 in outside lanes (lanes 2, 3 and 4) when there is no traffic at all in the inside lanes, It was reported, only the other day, that a driver had been stopped and fined by police for hogging an outside lane for 3+ miles and not moving over into the empty inside lane.

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

There are loads of parameters and options that are factory set that can't be switched on or off in IDS. Emergency vehicles probably will be unrestricted, but doesn't mean a regular car could be switched to unrestricted. By the time this comes in Flexray will be being used instead of CAN for loads more drive-by-wire stuff , so it will be effectively uncrackable if they want it to be.

Potentially, if it only has one gps receiver (unlikely) , and you are happy losing all the other positional features your car will have by then.

They said the enigma code was uncrackable  ,if someone invents something someone will find a way round it 

Edited by rudds1

1 minute ago, Phili Buster said:

It was reported, only the other day, that a driver had been stopped and fined by police for hogging an outside lane for 3+ miles and not moving over into the empty inside lane.

Yes the police have been fining people for lane hogging and tailgating for a number of years now.

Lane hogging has almost become ubiquitous now though, especially in rush hour where people just drive the exact same route in the exact same way, everyday of the week.

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

That is assuming the technology works ALL the time I do not want to be in the car that suddenly decides it has to reboot the software anywhere on the motorway and that specifically includes parked up on the hard shoulder (where one is still available) , the most dangerous place on a motorway.

3 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

They said the enigma code was uncrackable  ,if someone invents something someone will find a way round it 

It may be, and the enigma code was worth cracking. Some people might pay a lot of money for a workaround, in which case somebody will try to do it. It can be done on the security now, when the prize is a £100k car, whether people will put in that same effort so they can sell a £100 re-flash is debatable.

Also, remember by then we'll have 5G and lots of things will be happening with that in terms of monitoring and interactive behavior.

3 minutes ago, Phili Buster said:

That is assuming the technology works ALL the time I do not want to be in the car that suddenly decides it has to reboot the software anywhere on the motorway and that specifically includes parked up on the hard shoulder (where one is still available) , the most dangerous place on a motorway.

You have that problem now, with dozens of systems in the car. Your ABS might decide to trigger, or your airbags, or your cruise control, or your electric power steering, or your engine ecu, or your electric seats etc etc etc

45 minutes ago, DeZeus said:

People are always inventive, or creative, you create a new safety system, sometimes someone creative will try to circumvent the rules imposed on them. From 2015 I was driving one such equipped car, which had both a cruise control, plus speed limiter, which I loved!

In 2004 i bought a 53 reg Mercedes E220 cdi Elegance...this was equipped with a speed limiter,when set at the speed desired it would not go over that limit no matter how far you pushed the pedal....it was also fitted with auto braking...this was for use in slow moving traffic and only worked up to about 20mph maybe less....the idea was to let the car crawl along in slow traffic and when it approached the one in front it would apply the brakes itself....i used it a couple of times to see if it worked...it did.....but never trusted it....as for the speed limiter i only used that on occasion and preferred to look at the speedo.......i believe they dis-continued these not long after 2003,i had trouble with the electronic braking system on mine which had to be fixed by MB...so maybe this was one of  the reason's...drive safe

What a daft idea, of course it is an EU initiative, and as such we have slavishly agreed to it, instead of telling them to go forth and multiply.. 2019 and we are reducing speed limits, when common sense says we should be increasing them, in certain areas of course, Motorways, dual carriageways etc etc. Most of the limits were made when cars had rod brakes and crossply tyres.

Angel1.

Why should we be increasing them?

It increases the likelehood of accidents, the amount of fatalities in accidents, it uses more fuel, it results in increased pollution, and noise, increases wear in general to cars and the road...

Theres no good reason to go faster at all.

16 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Theres no good reason to go faster at all.

You get there sooner 😉

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

You get there sooner 😉

Or not at all.