Major contribuition to road safety and reducing aggressive driving.

9 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Thus proving that there are a significant number of drivers out there who don`t think speed cameras are "revenue raising devices", even though they also want to speed. I wonder of any of them would be honest enough to admit that on here ?

I`ll bet there aren`t.

In the real world away from the "I never do anything wrong" world of the forum I think the vast majority of people break the speed limit at some point.Particularly when they consider its safe to do so.

Edited by Fudbeer

2 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

In the real world away from the "I never do anything wrong" world of the forum I think the vast majority of people break the speed limit at some point.Particularly when they consider its safe to do so.

You`re very wrong to imply that "the vast majority of people break the speed limit", certainly if you mean deliberately break the speed limit as opposed to by accident. I suspect very strongly that most people DO NOT break the speed limit, unless by accident, and therefore would be very happy for a system to be introduced that prevented their errors.

But, whether a certain %age of drivers want to be able to break the speed limit or not is totally beside the point. It increases the risk to other road users (and pedestrians) and is illegal anyway, therefore anything which stops them doing that can only be a good thing.

Since he didn't say "deliberately" or "accidentally" what he probably means is that the vast majority of people break the speed limit.  Period.

Also, he didn't imply it, he said it quite clearly.

And I'd say it's true.

If you are contenting that many only do it by accident then I'd say that brings into question their competence to drive, between the two I'd rather someone were deliberately doing 80 on the motorway than doing it by accident.

17 hours ago, max said:

Irrespective of the causes of accidents this BBC article from 2017 states that speed is the third most common causes of fatalities and accounts for a quarter of all deaths. Given that there were nearly 1,800 deaths last year anything which saves the lives of anybody must be worth considering.

The report also concludes that speed cameras have contributed to the continuing decline in road traffic fatalities.

10 charts that tell the story of Britain's roads.

To be clear it says this

"In 2016, about a quarter of all fatal accidents on the roads were related to speed."

Related to.  That most likely means that speed (not speeding) was listed as a minor contributory factor (not major) by the police.

"It was the third most common reason for fatal accidents, after drivers failing to look properly or losing control of their vehicles."

So there are 2 things that are more common causes of accidents (again this is probably looking at all things listed as either major or minor contributory factors).

Speed is listed as a major contributory factor in only 5% of accidents.

And to repeat, this is SPEED, not SPEEDING.  Which are two different things.

Edited by Cyclone

18 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Thus proving that there are a significant number of drivers out there who don`t think speed cameras are "revenue raising devices", even though they also want to speed. I wonder of any of them would be honest enough to admit that on here ?

I`ll bet there aren`t.

This is just nonsense.  How does speculation about the value of second hand cars prove anything about drivers who want to speed and their opinions on speed cameras?  It sounds entirely devoid of logic.

56 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Since he didn't say "deliberately" or "accidentally" what he probably means is that the vast majority of people break the speed limit.  Period.

Also, he didn't imply it, he said it quite clearly.

And I'd say it's true.

Thats exactly what I meant.Many years ago I was stopped for speeding on Bochum Parkway and the Policeman  said he  accepts that the speed limit is low and in good conditions many people travel a little over the limit and he does not stop them for it but doing 50 was not acceptable, he gave me a warning.I have commuted for over 30 years by car and car shared many times and the majority of people I have shared with have gone a little over the limit at some point. not suggesting its right to do so but they  do.

Edited by Groose
Fixed incorrect reply within quote tag

I've also ridden in cars with many drivers, who if you ask will say that they never speed.

Spend 5 minutes watching the speedo and it's quite clear that they do though.

Here in France they're reporting the first prototype will accelerate rapidly towards the car in front and follow it at a distance of two metres with lights flashing and horn sounding.

They've yet to decide if it will try to overtake on blind bends.

18 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Thats exactly what I meant.Many years ago I was stopped for speeding on Bochum Parkway and the Policeman  said he  accepts that the speed limit is low and in good conditions many people travel a little over the limit and he does not stop them for it but doing 50 was not acceptable, he gave me a warning.I have commuted for over 30 years by car and car shared many times and the majority of people I have shared with have gone a little over the limit at some point. not suggesting its right to do so but they  do.

I`ve never had a speeding ticket, in fact I can`t actually remember ever having been caught for speeding. When I was a younger immature driver I did speed, though only marginally, but as I`ve grown up, particularly since I have got married and even more so since I became a father, I never deliberately break the speed limit. In fact if I have my lad in the car I make it a  policy to drive under the limit if the latter is over 40mph. If I drive a bit slower the car is a bit quieter, does a bit more MPG and, all other things being equal, means the consequences of any accident will be less severe. On the negative side the journey might take 5% longer, though often it won`tactually take any longer at all. It`s a no brainer really

I'd put a fiver on it that if someone did a ride along and you didn't change your behaviour, you'd roll into a 30 zone from a 40, doing 35 at some point.

To be fair am not saying I disagree the new restrictions are a good thing.Although I do occasionally break the speed limit its only by a small amount I see more people driving at ridiculous speeds these days than ever before usually young and with those ridiculous sounding exhaust pipes.The bottom line is am sure it would save many lives and that has to be the most important consideration.

17 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

To be fair am not saying I disagree the new restrictions are a good thing.Although I do occasionally break the speed limit its only by a small amount I see more people driving at ridiculous speeds these days than ever before usually young and with those ridiculous sounding exhaust pipes.The bottom line is am sure it would save many lives and that has to be the most important consideration.

And on that few people could disagree.

I don't particularly care about the new ASL as it will be possible and easy to disable it according to the proposal.