Major contribuition to road safety and reducing aggressive driving.

They dont tell you...

The answer was they needed it for a little while to upload the computers to Munich as it had more in that would fit on the keyfob. When asked they said all the telematics goes back to Munich, at which point I required them to stop all the work and give me the car back. They refused as they said it was "their data" so I removed the car from their workshop myself.

4 hours ago, Obelix said:

All true.

But then the €s they (might) make on the data, should help keep the cars cheap(-er than they would be without the revenue stream), besides better-designed and more reliable.

I see the private life angle/risk of course, and would rather the issue of mobility data be resolved through a co-ownership model (if the car's not being driven, then there is no data, so it's in the big data collector's interest to incentivise the user). But a lot of it is still surmising at this stage.

There will come a time in the not-distant-future, wherein socio-economic "progress" like this, hand in hand with still more nannyism and other assorted traffic-curbing measures (participative & coercive alike) will simply make it uneconomic to design and manufacture high-performance cars, never mind to buy and run them.

So, better mitigate, and get hold of a decent classic (or eventually-to-be-classic) now. All things (finally) going well, picking up my new, resolutely un-PC car Thursday night, that will give Justin on here nightmares: 340 horses, every last one to the rear axle...and no EU-spec speed limiter :thumbsup::D

Edited by L00b

14 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I think you're wrong, it's nothing to do with wanting the last word, I thought this was a discussion forum where opinions could be challenged and discussed, did you think it was something different?

It's the only data we have though, so simplistic as it may be, it's better than just guessing.

Slightly more than that isn't it.  My ASL doesn't turn on when I start the car and it can't tell what the speed limit for the road is.  That's the proposal for the new device, it will automatically speed limit to the correct limit and be on by default (but easy to turn off).

When they use terminology (“causes”) that does not come from the Stats19 form and then offer a simplistic analysis of what is a massively complex set of data based on a set of contributory factors for every single crash in the Stats19 reporting database, I allow myself doubt and concern, in particular, about their agenda behind their drawing up of their conclusions.

8 hours ago, L00b said:

So, better mitigate, and get hold of a decent classic (or eventually-to-be-classic) now. All things (finally) going well, picking up my new, resolutely un-PC car Thursday night, that will give Justin on here nightmares: 340 horses, every last one to the rear axle...and no EU-spec speed limiter :thumbsup::D

Do tell...:) I've got an 850CSi in France that is similarly poky and very un PC too...

11 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

When they use terminology (“causes”) that does not come from the Stats19 form and then offer a simplistic analysis of what is a massively complex set of data based on a set of contributory factors for every single crash in the Stats19 reporting database, I allow myself doubt and concern, in particular, about their agenda behind their drawing up of their conclusions.

Fair point.

I bet second hand values shoot up when its introduced on new cars!

11 hours ago, Obelix said:

Do tell...:) I've got an 850CSi in France that is similarly poky and very un PC too...

It’s got 4 doors, an angry cat for a badge at the front...and the F type’s engine 😋

I do hope it's more reliable that the usual fare they offer.

I'm only slightly jealous. Honest :)

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

I do hope it's more reliable that the usual fare they offer.

I'm only slightly jealous. Honest :)

With older age comes wisdom (allegedly), so these days I prefer to keep the lairyness hidden under wraps of bourgeois respectability: gone and buried are the WRX days 😁

In the spirit of the thread, it’s less aggressive. And it tells me what the speed limit is at all times (GPS/metadata integrated into speedo screen on main cluster).

Edited by L00b

4 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

I bet second hand values shoot up when its introduced on new cars!

Thus proving that there are a significant number of drivers out there who don`t think speed cameras are "revenue raising devices", even though they also want to speed. I wonder of any of them would be honest enough to admit that on here ?

I`ll bet there aren`t.

Irrespective of the causes of accidents this BBC article from 2017 states that speed is the third most common causes of fatalities and accounts for a quarter of all deaths. Given that there were nearly 1,800 deaths last year anything which saves the lives of anybody must be worth considering.

The report also concludes that speed cameras have contributed to the continuing decline in road traffic fatalities.

10 charts that tell the story of Britain's roads.