Major contribuition to road safety and reducing aggressive driving.

9 hours ago, DeZeus said:

When the M1 was first opened I believe the speed limit then on it was 100MPH, which was quickly reduced to....70MPH, at that time the cars then struggled to achieve ^80/90MPH

There was no limit until 1967.

In 1964 Jack Sears took the Le Mans AC Cobra from the Watford Gap  Northwards up the M1 at 185mph totally legally. Still the highest speed ever recorded on a British Motorway in a car.  I think Jaguar managed to run an Etype on the M1 at 150 mph in 1965 .  All done when the motorways were a lot less crowded 

12 hours ago, Obelix said:

Because the limit is different in other countries....

Because having a car capable of going much faster than 70mph means at 70mph the engine isnt heavily overloaded and will last a lot longer and also be more fuel efficient.

“More fuel efficient” and  “70 mph” is simply wrong for ordinary vehicles with 5/6 gears.  

Once in top gear at around mid-50-65 the engine is at its most efficient when gauged by mpg figures.  Any acceleration above this speed increases wind resistance and there are no more higher-gear efficiency gains to be had and fuel efficiency drops.  Driving at 85 mph is reckoned to use 40% more fuel than 70mph. 

13 hours ago, Eddie_shef said:

I also thought it was interesting that the BBC article I read made specific mention that while it was an EU-introduced regulation the UK would also follow it....

Not that everything is about Brexit, but I thought that was interesting.

If we want to trade with the EU, our products must meet their specification. 

Not a big surprise?

The remaining car manufacturers in the Uk are highly unlikely to want to split their volume production into “UK SPEC’” and “EU SPEC”. 

8 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

More fuel efficient” and  “70 mph” is simply wrong for ordinary vehicles with 5/6 gears.  

Once in top gear at around mid-50-65 the engine is at its most efficient when gauged by mpg figures.  Any acceleration above this speed increases wind resistance and there are no more higher-gear efficiency gains to be had and fuel efficiency drops.  Driving at 85 mph is reckoned to use 40% more fuel than 70mph. 

Explain why my car does mid to late 60s in MPG at 70mph in 6th gear but drops to late 50s between 55-62mph. Self tested using cruise-control to maintain speed, averaged over same stretch of M1 Southbound, J34-J31. Measurment device car's own onboard computer, reset on slip road for each test. 

2.2 Turbo Diesel, 6 speed manual

9 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

Not a big surprise?

The remaining car manufacturers in the Uk are highly unlikely to want to split their volume production into “UK SPEC’” and “EU SPEC”. 

But they already do. There are many manufacturers that offer options on EU derived vehicles that aren't available on UK spec. Hence the small print on the TV ads "Some features not available in the UK" or words to that effect. 

8 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

Not a big surprise?

Have you noticed where we bolt the steering wheel on Uk cars and on EU cars?

17 hours ago, geared said:

So HGV's are restricted to 70mph as well are they??  What about vehicles towing?  and what about smart motorways and roadworks??

Perhaps the only Wazzock here is the one making sweeping statements??

Calling me a Wazzock ? Isn`t that being personal ? When I referred to Wazzocks I was referring to a certain group of drivers, that isn`t being personal.

As to your point, I was referring to the maximum speed any vehicle is allowed to go, as you well know I was.

TBH I think this is classic behaviour of "Petrolhead" type drivers, they`re desperate to stop anything that might prevent them speeding, even attacking those who are in favour of it, which, I`d warrant, would be the vast majority of drivers.

Edited by Justin Smith

11 hours ago, Resident said:

Explain why my car does mid to late 60s in MPG at 70mph in 6th gear but drops to late 50s between 55-62mph. 

2.2 Turbo Diesel, 6 speed manual

Sounds like it drops out of it's efficiency range at the lower speeds, perhaps at 55-62mph it'd be more efficient in 5th rather than 6th?

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

Calling me a Wazzock ? Isn`t that being personal ? When I referred to Wazzocks I was referring to a certain group of drivers, that isn`t being personal.

As to your point, I was referring to the maximum speed any vehicle is allowed to go, as you well know I was.

TBH I think this is classic behaviour of "Petrolhead" type drivers, they`re desperate to stop anything that might prevent them speeding, even attacking those who are in favour of it, which, I`d warrant, would be the vast majority of drivers.

Yawn!! 

You're still wrong though, because 70mph is not the maximum speed ANY vehicle is allowed to go, as I've already pointed out.

3 hours ago, woodview said:

Have you noticed where we bolt the steering wheel on Uk cars and on EU cars?

At the end of the steering column??

Edited by geared

11 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

“More fuel efficient” and  “70 mph” is simply wrong for ordinary vehicles with 5/6 gears.  

I'm not talking about the speed varying though..

If you have a car that at full power is capable of doing 70mph (just) then that means the engine is operating at maximum power. IF you had one that is capable of doing 100mph, then at 70mph the engine is operating at about half it's maximum rated power.

An otto cycle engine is most efficient at about 40-75% load settings - higher than that and you have excess frictional losses and you cannot connect to the receding piston crown as effectivly. Lower settings you have pumping losses past a throttle plate.

26 minutes ago, geared said:

At the end of the steering column??

haha no, inside the car. There's 3 peddles on the floor too, and a speedo. From memory, I think there is an EU / UK difference 😀

17 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

The only folk who want this kind of a restriction are those that cannot drive. Dodderers mudling around on the Motorways at 55/60 because they have no confidence to drive any faster. Driving at 20 when the limit is 30, because they are not confident to drive any faster in an urban area. Bet any one who makes a living "on the roads" will not be thrilled with this daft idea.

Why should anyone be unhappy with a system designed to stop people breaking the law ? And, whilst we`re at it, preventing them accidentally getting speeding tickets ? What you`re saying ,makes no sense at all.

1 minute ago, Justin Smith said:

Why should anyone be unhappy with a system designed to stop people breaking the law ? And, whilst we`re at it, preventing them accidentally getting speeding tickets ? What you`re saying ,makes no sense at all.

Woo wud have thunk it.

Angel1.

2 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Presumably you would also support blanket cctv coverage and the recent 'snoopers charter' on the same basis?