Major contribuition to road safety and reducing aggressive driving.

Great news this morning (BBC News site) :

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.

Not only will this make the roads safer but it`ll reduce aggression significantly, after all, what`s the point in hammering it to cut someone up, or tail gating them, or dangerously overtaking them, if the aggressive wazzock can`t exceed the speed limit anyway ?

Even those who hate speed cameras should be happy as they`ll now not have to worry about being fined. All those drivers bleating about cameras being "money making" will no longer have to worry.

What`s not to like ?

Edited by Justin Smith

There will be a way round it just like there is ways round disabling restrictors on hgv using magnets etc 

30 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Great news this morning (BBC News site) :

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.

Not only will this make the roads safer but it`ll reduce aggression significantly, after all, what`s the point in hammering it to cut someone up, or tail gating them, or dangerously overtaking them, if the aggressive wazzock can`t exceed the speed limit anyway ?

Even those who hate speed cameras should be happy as they`ll now not have to worry about being fined. All those drivers bleating about cameras being "money making" will no longer have to worry.

What`s not to like ?

Brilliant news,  I"ve always wondered why they manufacture cars that can do 100mph plus, when the national speed limit is 70.

1 minute ago, rudds1 said:

There will be a way round it just like there is ways round disabling restrictors on hgv using magnets etc 

It can be overidden by the driver, but it does a warning signal on the dash, apparently. I would imagine, after a few years, it would become fixed, not over-rideable.

I would have thought an integrated system like that would be very difficult to overcome. It certainly wouldn't be by use of magnets. Maybe a complex re-map, but things like that are becoming increasingly more difficult.

I'm not particularly against it, especially in residential areas. I would be more in favour of such things if they increased the motorway speed limit at quiet, dry times to at least 80mph.

I've not long since come back from driving to southern Germany. Sitting at 100mph for the majority of it, and 50mph when necessary. Makes driving on a quiet British motorway seem painful.

That's assuming the technology works and works correctly ALL the time.  Like the Boeing 737 Max and resultant crashes.

The idea is a recipe for disaster as is the 'self driving' car and the (so called) intelligent motorways. 

6 minutes ago, woodview said:

It can be overidden by the driver, but it does a warning signal on the dash, apparently. I would imagine, after a few years, it would become fixed, not over-rideable.

I would have thought an integrated system like that would be very difficult to overcome. It certainly wouldn't be by use of magnets. Maybe a complex re-map, but things like that are becoming increasingly more difficult.

I'm not particularly against it, especially in residential areas. I would be more in favour of such things if they increased the motorway speed limit at quiet, dry times to at least 80mph.

I've not long since come back from driving to southern Germany. Sitting at 100mph for the majority of it, and 50mph when necessary. Makes driving on a quiet British motorway seem painful.

So what about police / paramedic vehicles ? Somehow they will be exempt so if they can be overcome normal cars will be able to be

overridden . As an example if you buy  a transit of some local company’s the vehicle is   Electronically restricted to say 65 mph but by using ids you can remove the restricter  yourself 

Edited by rudds1

16 minutes ago, Padders said:

Brilliant news,  I"ve always wondered why they manufacture cars that can do 100mph plus, when the national speed limit is 70.

Because the limit is different in other countries....

Because having a car capable of going much faster than 70mph means at 70mph the engine isnt heavily overloaded and will last a lot longer and also be more fuel efficient.

8 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

So what about police / paramedic vehicles ? Somehow they will be exempt so if they can be overcome normal cars will be able to be

overridden . As an example if you buy  a transit of some local company’s the vehicle is   Electronically restricted to say 65 mph but by using ids you can remove the restricter  yourself 

I think the idea is that once it is an integrated system it will be very difficult, not impossible, to adapt the code to remove the electronic limiter. Paramedics and police vehicles will presumably be programmed without the limiter legally, although the news article I read didn't mention anything about them being exempt or otherwise. 

Your example is not a mandated/legal example. By removing a restrictor that is placed there by law, that would mean you are likely breaking the law, or perhaps voiding your insurance.

17 minutes ago, woodview said:

Unplugging the GPS receiver would be the obvious and easy way to do it.

I also thought it was interesting that the BBC article I read made specific mention that while it was an EU-introduced regulation the UK would also follow it....

Not that everything is about Brexit, but I thought that was interesting.

6 minutes ago, Eddie_shef said:

I think the idea is that once it is an integrated system it will be very difficult, not impossible, to adapt the code to remove the electronic limiter. Paramedics and police vehicles will presumably be programmed without the limiter legally, although the news article I read didn't mention anything about them being exempt or otherwise. 

Your example is not a mandated/legal example. By removing a restrictor that is placed there by law, that would mean you are likely breaking the law, or perhaps voiding your insurance.

I’m trying to show  examples how it could be removed and what about when the police / paramedics services dispose of their vehicles ,would the new owner have to have the system fitted upon purchase ?to avoid a fine etc 

Edited by rudds1

3 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

People are always inventive, or creative, you create a new safety system, sometimes someone creative will try to circumvent the rules imposed on them. From 2015 I was driving one such equipped car, which had both a cruise control, plus speed limiter, which I loved!

Not getting pulled over again or again by the Motorway Police (using Unmarked Motorway Police Cars) any more, who also speed at greater speeds themselves with impunity.

Previously in my younger days, I had been Done for speeding Twice, like lots of other drivers in cars, just with previous cars, I now comply with all speed limits, for the record.

But having had  this facility can make you complacent, relying heavily on the device, when I next changed to my current car in 2018, I had to be very very careful, as this car had a cruise control, but with a different system with other safety features, like brake close, pedestrian awareness etc.    

but sadly No Speed Limiter! :(

However the Salesman Said it had One! Be wary, be warned, get it in writing!