Anyone live around the Cultural industries quarter? (south of centre)

2 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

my impression of the area you highlighted is that it will benefit massively once the city centre plan has finished. Hallam is also investing in the area with new teaching facilities. For me it is: Heart Kelham, Head CIQ.

Hey thanks for the input. Can I ask what you mean about the city centre plan?  

I do know for a face there are two fairly large blocks of apartments going up in the area I highlighted - I'm particularly looking at Jet centro.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Flobbadob said:

Hey thanks for the input. Can I ask what you mean about the city centre plan?  

I do know for a face there are two fairly large blocks of apartments going up in the area I highlighted - I'm particularly looking at Jet centro.

Cheers!

No worries - the city centre plan, I forgot what it is called these days... it’s the rebuilding and restructuring of the area around the Moor and Pinstone.

I lived in the Fulcrum building at the bottom of Furnival Street when I first moved to Sheffield. This was about 10 years ago and I'd say the area had improved since then, more cafes and less derelict buildings.

The major drawback was noise at night. Hard to avoid with any city centre living but this area has a lot of student accommodation. The Fulcrum building was also placed directly between the city centre/Hallam Union and the student accomodation. Noise in the early hours was a real problem especially in summer when you want have your windows open. 

Depends what you're looking for though of course. If I'd have been in my 20s I would have stayed but as I was in my 30s and having to get up early for work we moved on after a year.

On 27/03/2019 at 10:53, bendix said:

I'm not sure what you're asking.  You know the areas.  You live in Sheffield.  You know what's in both of them and what they are both near to.    What are you asking - for forum members to make up your mind for you?

Calm down, it's a forum, where you get opinions 

wtf is the "Cultural industries quarter"? O

after research, no, you don't want to move there, so noisy 24/7 terrible area.

On 26/03/2019 at 20:15, Flobbadob said:

Hey, just wanted to get peoples opinions of living in the cultural industries quarter as I'm thinking of buying a flat around there.

I'm a young professional so just looking to be fairly central, also considering Kelham Island sort of area, somewhat undecided between these two!

Would be great to have peoples thoughts on this area, how ease of access to things compares etc.

Cheers!

For ease of access you couldn't do much better than the St. Paul's Development - The View or The Tower. The apartments are well specified and have good sound-proofing. The Service Charge is extortionate and continues to rise but the service received for that money does appear to be improving (it was quite bad at one point). Ground Rent is on an RPI escalator too, so you'll need to be careful / aware of these costs... likely to be kinda the same in any apartment block.

I think the area around Milton Street near Hanover Way will be the next city centre hotspot. Theres a lot of developable land / old buildings to be converted, and its sandwiched between the better side of the city centre and the bottom of Ecclesall Rd.  Beehive Works  has just received planning permission for conversion and other developments are on the cards. Thats where I'd be buying if I wanted a city centre pad! Waitrose & the improved Moor a stones throw away,