Anyone live around the Cultural industries quarter? (south of centre)

Hey, just wanted to get peoples opinions of living in the cultural industries quarter as I'm thinking of buying a flat around there.

I'm a young professional so just looking to be fairly central, also considering Kelham Island sort of area, somewhat undecided between these two!

Would be great to have peoples thoughts on this area, how ease of access to things compares etc.

Cheers!

Cultural industries quarter?  

Frankly ive never heard of it. Ignore you mean the area around Leadmill I’m not sure why you’re asking about proximity and access to things. It’s right next to the train station. 

Are you in Sheffield?

Edited by bendix

I don't know who started all this "Quarters" rubbish,  why invent something that's never existed? Kelham Island development  is not my cup of tea especially when know what's been sacrificed for these so called Young Professionals.

34 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I don't know who started all this "Quarters" rubbish,  why invent something that's never existed? Kelham Island development  is not my cup of tea especially when know what's been sacrificed for these so called Young Professionals.

What's been sacrificed? It was a run down red light district, not a thriving industrial area at the start of the refurbishment of Kelham.

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Cultural industries quarter?  

Frankly ive never heard of it. Ignore you mean the area around Leadmill I’m not sure why you’re asking about proximity and access to things. It’s right next to the train station. 

Are you in Sheffield?

Basically this area: https://imgur.com/id0XG9P , I'm interested in a couple places in the shaded bit.

I've been living in Crookes for a few months and finding it a bit fair out really. So I have been to do the area, my main concern was the lack of stuff directly in the neighbourhood, as in Kelham there are a number of puts but here (shaded bit), most stuff is like 15 min  walk. 

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's been sacrificed? It was a run down red light district, not a thriving industrial area at the start of the refurbishment of Kelham.

We've lost numerous industrial buildings that could have been used or intergrated into the planned living spaces, red light district it may have been but that's down to the council letting it get to that state, seems to many Sheffield people these new build like Kelham are for the professional types and are totally out of reach of the low paid.

2 hours ago, Flobbadob said:

Basically this area: https://imgur.com/id0XG9P , I'm interested in a couple places in the shaded bit.

I've been living in Crookes for a few months and finding it a bit fair out really. So I have been to do the area, my main concern was the lack of stuff directly in the neighbourhood, as in Kelham there are a number of puts but here (shaded bit), most stuff is like 15 min  walk. 

I'm not sure what you're asking.  You know the areas.  You live in Sheffield.  You know what's in both of them and what they are both near to.    What are you asking - for forum members to make up your mind for you?

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

We've lost numerous industrial buildings that could have been used or intergrated into the planned living spaces, red light district it may have been but that's down to the council letting it get to that state, seems to many Sheffield people these new build like Kelham are for the professional types and are totally out of reach of the low paid.

Lots of stuff has been levelled, but you've also got things like Drop Dead in Sam Osborne factory and round the corner Cutlery Works bar and food hall, both in industrial buildings. I'd rather go round that area now than 10 years back.

43 minutes ago, bendix said:

I'm not sure what you're asking.  You know the areas.  You live in Sheffield.  You know what's in both of them and what they are both near to.    What are you asking - for forum members to make up your mind for you?

Fair point, reason I'm asking is since I'm looking to buy I'd like to be in a 'desirable' area. So just trying to gauge what people think of the location in general. 

7 minutes ago, Flobbadob said:

Fair point, reason I'm asking is since I'm looking to buy I'd like to be in a 'desirable' area. So just trying to gauge what people think of the location in general. 

I would say Kelham is undoubtedly more desirable than the CIQ. Kelham Island won the Academy of Urbanism award for the best neighbourhood in the UK. 

https://citu.co.uk/citu-live/kelham-island-the-greatest-neighbourhood-in-the-uk/

I image this is reflected in property prices. 

It's curious.  I dont really get why Kelham Island is so highly rated.  Ok, there are a few pubs and restaurants around, but there are no shopping facilities and no good transport links.  If you walk, you have to cross the inner ring road to get anyway, and it's hardly a short walk to the city centre.

What exactly is the appeal?

9 hours ago, Flobbadob said:

Kelham Island is trendier, but as bendix points out: Public transport isn't all that. I would prefer KI if the price wasn't a main concern, my impression of the area you highlighted is that it will benefit massively once the city centre plan has finished. Hallam is also investing in the area with new teaching facilities. For me it is: Heart Kelham, Head CIQ.

7 hours ago, bendix said:

It's curious.  I dont really get why Kelham Island is so highly rated.  Ok, there are a few pubs and restaurants around, but there are no shopping facilities and no good transport links.  If you walk, you have to cross the inner ring road to get anyway, and it's hardly a short walk to the city centre.

What exactly is the appeal?

There is a serious number of excellent pubs, some real innovation in terms of 'experience economy' (from Peddler's market, to Cutlery Works) the way the Don runs through it creates some excellent apartment buildings that back onto nature, whilst being in the middle of all the hustle and bustle. If you want to know what it is about, go for a walk along the Don from Neepsend towards Kelham Island Museum on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon. The place will be buzzing with people enjoying urban life.

Also, to refute Lazarus - some of the former mills have been turned into excellent housing, cafes and places to be. Green Lane Works and Alfred Becket & Sons buildings are shining examples of how to get regeneration right. The 'Little Kelham' new builds are excellent in design and 'fit'. Kelham Island is something Sheffield can justifially be proud of.