Smart tech question - electrical, home-planning and construction

HI Folk, 

I'm looking to spark discussion and gather views on fitting wi-fi based smart technology into new-builds or to retro-fit. I'm interested because I can see a whole load of aftermarket consumer stuff being sold, but in its current guise I don't see it fulfilling a value-added purpose, it's more of an expensive gimmick. I think the real place that should be leading this change meaningfully are the home-builders. I wonder if you agree and if so,  do you feel you have the stock/tools/techniques available to successfully implement it into the homes you build?

Cheers,

Dan

Interesting idea, and I see the value. The biggest challenge I think is in future proofing. Tech is changing so quickly at the moment, I would worry in a few years you would end up with obsolete technology deeply embedded in the fabric of the house.

For example, we have an old intercom system and a back-projection TV in our house which are now just eyesores.

Define

wi-fi based smart technology

Pretty sure BT fit fibre to the premises into new builds. If requested.

That's virtually future proof isn't it?

The future of structured cabling in new builds was the suggestion in the year 2000. I remember attending a conference by Canon who were stipulating such a thing. Very few new builds, even 18 years later, have twisted pairs installed and sockets installed as standard. We’ve still got along way to go.

Distribution of electricity around houses has remained pretty much the same for a hundreds of years and remains the only conductor found in all rooms.

It may be replaced in part by low voltage or some form of inductance.

Either way systems transferring information along these wires is likely well into the future.

More sockets!

Has anyone invented a WiFi light bulb?

Edited by Annie Bynnol

44 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Either way systems transferring information along these wires is likely well into the future.

More sockets!

Has anyone invented a WiFi light bulb?

Powerline adapters are the nearest to what I think you're describing.

And it depends what you mean by a "WiFi" bulb? Wireless electricity?

On 30/03/2019 at 21:07, Pyrotequila said:

Powerline adapters are the nearest to what I think you're describing.

And it depends what you mean by a "WiFi" bulb? Wireless electricity?

I think they mean the WiFi Smart Bulbs, where you can set profiles per room, automatic lighting, different colours for different moods/times of day etc, and can all be intergrated/linked with Amazon Alexa / Google home etc...