Scott Walker RIP

The Walker Brothers star Scott Walker has died at the age of 76, who can forget their song "The sun aint gonna shine anymore" It is one of those songs that will continue to be played for many a year.

Edited by iansheff

An old pal of mine, Bob Broglia, was an engineer at Kingsway Recorders in London. He first recounted this story to me over a few beers in the Princess  Louise pub just around the corner from the studio...

"I remember a disastrous incident with Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers, who had come to Kingsway Recorders to record the vocals on his hit single No Regrets.

I was the tape op and it was very late, and I was extremely tired. The engineer on the session left it up to me to "drop in" and "drop out" various bits of vocal that Scott wasn't happy with.

Now this is a very responsible job and I was very nervous about doing it at all. Anyway, we'd spent about 45 minutes trying to get this one line right, constantly going over the same bit of the song.

Eventually we got one that he was happy with. He came into the control room to listen to it - and when it got to the line in question - I promptly erased it. I'd gone into autopilot and totally screwed up. If the ground could have opened and swallowed me up I'd have been a very happy lad.”

The sun ain't gonna shine anymore  ..........       R.I.P.   Scott.

It’s the voice of an era. Still amazing after all these years.

Saw him ‘ fleetingly’  the night Walker Bros played the Esquire, early 60s

They came out started to play, girls dragged them off the stage and they vanished backstage not to be seen again

Sad news.   I was listening to No Regrets the other day.  

RIP

My favourite Walkers Brothers song is 'My ship is coming in ' mainly because it was relevant to my personal life at the time.RIP Scott you had one heck of a voice.

He was a really good interpreter of the songs of Jacques Brel. 

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

He was a really good interpreter of the songs of Jacques Brel. 

As was Marc Almond of Soft Cell.

Walker had an incredible baritone voice but like many others in later life had a problem with the drink. He was also a British citizen and worked with many British artists in his later years including Sheffield's own Jarvis Cocker.

A sad loss. 😢

I always preferred his solo material to his work with the Walker Brothers (who were not actually brothers) the album Scott 4 is excellent. 

RIP

I saw the Walker Brothers on both the occasions they appeared at the Esquire Club, I also got to see and hear some of best blues singers around at the time,  in hindsight i think Scott Walker was the finest singer to appear at the Esquire!!