Disgusting behaviour on train

11 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Talking of which, where does the (local, I think) expression "effing and jeffing" stem from?

The first bit's obvious, but 'jeffing'?

Wonder if it's a Sheffield saying as it's normally "effing and blinding"?

I think television is greatly responsible for the decline in standards; at one time, swearing was banned from tv programmes and that helped set standards of public decency so you didn't hear it all the time. When they started showing films which included swearing, it was like knocking a hole in the wall of a dam and suddenly you started hearing it on chat shows, tv dramas and from stand up comedians. This gave swearing the green light by normalizing it and you started hearing it more and more. TV has a subtle impact on people's attitudes and maybe if it was banned again we might hear less of it on the streets.

On 24/03/2019 at 17:54, K1Machine said:

Typical football thugs. Knuckle draggers the lot of em.

Whilst I agree that football thugs are knuckle draggers, it's worth pointing out that 99% of football fans aren't football thugs.

1 hour ago, John_S6 said:

Whilst I agree that football thugs are knuckle draggers, it's worth pointing out that 99% of football fans aren't football thugs.

I wasnt suggesting otherwise.