Does anyone ever actually take notice of ads?

Just that really, I don't buy newspapers anymore as I have the BBC News app on my phone

Never pay any attention to TV ads, usually use the break to either make a cuppa, toilet, chat or whatever

Online ads are now invisible, I seem to not see them anymore, just whatever it is I happen to be reading

Flyers are universally binned instantly.

Even going to the shops, I never see or think "25% off banner" or "closing down " banner  must check it out.

I just ignore everything completely

I've become AdBlind

So what's the point ?

With respect, it's a bit of a daft question. Do you really think this country spends billions on advertising in the knowledge that no-one ever takes notice? 

A lot of marketing works sub-consciously. It’s a lot more about branding and you do actually see more, and take in more of the advertising than you would initially think. Obviously it’s all subjective and some people are more prone to this canvassing than others, but it clearly works and a good marketing team can track most sales right back to a source.

Hmm, valid points I agree

But, lets not be coy- we both know its a way to offset TAX owed

5 minutes ago, mrcharlie said:

Advertising?

I always found Gooogle Ads as money Wasted, with no return....

2 hours ago, mrcharlie said:

Not how it works. Top rate of corporation tax is 30% , So if they spent £1m on advertising, they'd pay£300k less tax, but they've still spent £1m. If they didn't advertise, they'd have £700k more after tax.

4 hours ago, DeZeus said:

I always found Gooogle Ads as money Wasted, with no return....

You’re right.  Companies with hundreds of millions of pounds turnover spend thousands on google ads because it doesn’t work. 

I used to own a website and we had Google Ads on it.  google paid me around $2000 every month because of the number of people clicking on those ads from my site. 

6 hours ago, mrcharlie said:

Just that really, I don't buy newspapers anymore as I have the BBC News app on my phone

Never pay any attention to TV ads, usually use the break to either make a cuppa, toilet, chat or whatever

Online ads are now invisible, I seem to not see them anymore, just whatever it is I happen to be reading

Flyers are universally binned instantly.

Even going to the shops, I never see or think "25% off banner" or "closing down " banner  must check it out.

I just ignore everything completely

I've become AdBlind

So what's the point ?

You're not on your own mate. 

I don't watch a lot of tv, but when i do and an advert comes on, i quickly press 'Mute' on the remote and have a look at the programme guide for 5 minutes.

Those bluddy 118 money ad's are infuriating..!!  Sometimes catch me out if i'm not fast enough..!!

I never see any ads on the internet, so they dont bother me. 

Posted (edited)

When an ad interrupts a YouTube video I'm watching, it makes me 1 million times less inclined to ever buy the product in the ad.

Edited by Hots on

For the Internet.... I use Ad-Blocker Plus...;)

I haven't seen an advert while browsing the Net for over 10 years.!

Google Ad-Blocker...It's free...:)