Would You Be Annoyed ?

Thursday 21st March, I put a guitar effects pedal ( had little use and was packaged as new ) in part exchange against an amplifier

I was going to purchase from a local music store, I was offered £5......Yes £5 for the pedal and although reluctant to accept this

did so because I wouldn't be using it anymore having purchased a better model.

Whilst browsing the music store's secondhand stock, saw the pedal I had sold them and been offered £5......it was offered for sale

at £19.

It annoyed me that they had offered it for sale at almost 200% profit  - I understand that they are in business to make money, but

at 200% profit ........not very fair is it ?

Would you be annoyed ?

If the shop can make 200% profit then good luck to them. They didn't hold a gun to your head and force you to sell it to them. You could have refused their offer. A similar story, I was selling a graphics card on here for £80. I got a text from someone simply saying "I will give you £30". I didn't sell it to them. I hung on and sold it for my asking price. If £5 was too low you should have sold it elsewhere for a more agreeable price.

1 hour ago, JOHN HABS said:

Thursday 21st March, I put a guitar effects pedal ( had little use and was packaged as new ) in part exchange against an amplifier

I was going to purchase from a local music store, I was offered £5......Yes £5 for the pedal and although reluctant to accept this

did so because I wouldn't be using it anymore having purchased a better model.

Whilst browsing the music store's secondhand stock, saw the pedal I had sold them and been offered £5......it was offered for sale

at £19.

It annoyed me that they had offered it for sale at almost 200% profit  - I understand that they are in business to make money, but

at 200% profit ........not very fair is it ?

Would you be annoyed ?

I see why you are annoyed, but pawn shops and second-hand shops deal in used goods and unless you have a rare item you will be down valued from your expectations, big time. They price to the fact that no one might ever wish to buy that pedal, and they are out 5 quid. That has to be their mentality, due to the nature of their business, it has always been that way.

280% mark-on rather than pure profit.

However, there is zero profit if doesn’t sell. It would be 100% loss.

I the OP is a bit daft to be annoyed by this. He chose to sell the item. What does he expect the shop to do, sell it a loss?

Nineteen quid seems a fair price to me for a second hand effects pedal. If the OP was that bothered he could have sold it privately.

Whilst I can empathise with your dilemma, on one hand you felt cheated, by this Shop, which offered you the minimum they could offer (which in reflection later you feel their offer was too low) but, you chose to go ahead with the Deal for the price offered.

However, from the Shops perspective, they are Taking all the risks, storing the item, taking up valuable shop space, for an Item which may or may not sell quickly! Or at a higher or lower sale price. This is a basic Business Practice.

Instead of you selling to a Shop, you could have put the Item on SF, for possibly a Better Price (but it could take Months to Sell) or other unnamed declining Sales Auction platforms, but in this instance You yourself are Taking all the Risks!

So there is a Trade off between the 'Time' spent selling the Item and the 'Reward' for selling quickly, rather than Later!

Plus you no longer had use for the Item, so that states you valued the Item less!

This is why I became a Hoarder of unwanted/wanted Items.....you choose your path, let go or not.....

It can be a slippery path...choosing wrong....

Storing Items can or could prove Costly...

depending where you Store Things....

Taking Stuff from my late dads estate, late m-i-law house, I recall in my case it cost, it took numerous skips at £150+vat to dispose of items and effects this costs more than you would think.

Edited by nikki-red

A friend of mine ran a swop shop for 18 years, and he said that generally, if someone brought in a new, unused and boxed item, they would be offered 1/3 of the usual retail price.

No  they've added about a tenner  on. That £15 plus vat.

They have premises to pay for, and staff. The £10 will about cover the hours wages for someone to take your peddle, check it, list it on the website, take a call about it, then deal with the customer buying it.  Or it might sit on the shelf for 2 years. So in the end they'll actually make nearly nothing, or lost money.

In response to what Halibut said about me being daft in my being annoyed.......

If they had given me £10 for the pedal I would have been satisfied with that and they would have still made 100% profit on the resale.

Secondly, I read on their site that items put for part exchange against other items would command a better price, that's why I took the

pedal in the first place to try and get a reduction in the item I intended purchasing - if I had just took the pedal to sell it instead of putting it in part exchange

they would have probably still given me £5 for it..........................still think its a fair deal ?

The pedal I sold is a popular make of pedal and I know for definite they wouldn't have any problem in selling it.

If the pedal didn't have its original packaging, instructions and shown signs of wear, I can understand their reluctance to give me more for it, but

the pedal had hardly been used and was has I've said already 'AS NEW'

Regarding trying to sell anything on here, theirs more chance of Nelson getting his eye back......all you get on here is either Timewasters or people

who bicker about the price the item is advertised for !

5 hours ago, Halibut said:

If the OP was that bothered he could have sold it privately.

That's my view too.

Pawn shops and others cater for those wishing to raise cash fast and pay accordingly. If you were in no hurry to sell the item you could have sold it privately, stuck it in eBoy or at least sold it to a music shop who would be more sure of selling it on and would therefore offer you a better price.

I get fed up of people telling me that they are not happy about what they sold their car to a dealer for then when I ask them why they didn't stick it in the paper they say that they couldn't be bothered with all the fuss!

In fact the current We Buy Any Car adverts are based on the 'your time is too precious to sell a car privately. Of course what they don't tell you is that you would need to be earning the wages of a Premier League footballer to save money with the appalling prices they offer. 🙄

6 minutes ago, JOHN HABS said:

In response to what Halibut said about me being daft in my being annoyed.......

If they had given me £10 for the pedal I would have been satisfied with that and they would have still made 100% profit on the resale.

Secondly, I read on their site that items put for part exchange against other items would command a better price, that's why I took the

pedal in the first place to try and get a reduction in the item I intended purchasing - if I had just took the pedal to sell it instead of putting it in part exchange

they would have probably still given me £5 for it..........................still think its a fair deal ?

The pedal I sold is a popular make of pedal and I know for definite they wouldn't have any problem in selling it.

If the pedal didn't have its original packaging, instructions and shown signs of wear, I can understand their reluctance to give me more for it, but

the pedal had hardly been used and was has I've said already 'AS NEW'

Regarding trying to sell anything on here, theirs more chance of Nelson getting his eye back......all you get on here is either Timewasters or people

who bicker about the price the item is advertised for !

That's not true for everyone. Iv'e sold everything iv'e advertised on here, and for the price i wanted, every time.

A lot depends on the item offered and the price i think.!

I put an item on e bay but it  wasn't selling.

Towards the closing time I got an e mail telling me I was having a laugh to expect my asking price and he offered a very low sum.

I thanked him but refused his offer.

I got a very snotty reply.

He did me a favour because I reduced my asking price and it sold straight away.

Buyer and seller both happy.

OP could have tried e bay.

Edited by davyboy
grammar