Fireman Sam sexist

Slow news day, @Tomm06 and I bet there is more (or less) to this story - after all your link is from the DM - sadly no longer newspaper of good repute.

Technically it should be firefighter Sam but it probably didn’t sound as good in the theme tune. 

Why, @tinfoilhat- he is a man who fights fires, therefore 'fireMAN' is correct.

Edited by RollingJ

You ask a male firefighter - any one at all - what their job title is and it won’t be fireman.

That may be true, but 'fireman' had been an accepted job description for a long time before this 'all inclusive' cow-muck raised it's head.

There are still 'men' and 'women' in this world, along with those whom, for whatever reason don't class themselves as either - but they are a minority.

The job is now called a firefighter, and men and women do the job. In 1987 when fireman sam started, he got his name, and so his cartoon name should stay IMO.

The actual news story was from Peppa Pig, a new episode, where they were talking about firemen rather than firefighters.

It is a slow news day story though. Perhaps there isn't much else happening at the moment!!!!

25 minutes ago, woodview said:

The job is now called a firefighter, and men and women do the job. In 1987 when fireman sam started, he got his name, and so his cartoon name should stay IMO.

The actual news story was from Peppa Pig, a new episode, where they were talking about firemen rather than firefighters.

It is a slow news day story though. Perhaps there isn't much else happening at the moment!!!!

Yes, @woodview, the 'job' is 'firefighter' but it is stil men and women who do the job.😀

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Yes, @woodview, the 'job' is 'firefighter' but it is stil men and women who do the job.😀

I know, and I probably say fireman, from habit. I can understand and support the use of firefighter as a phrase. If my daughter had ambitions in that field, then that's a better phrase to include all potential staff. Like saying headteacher instead of headmaster.

I personally think the story is a storm in a teacup, but we should aiming to be include everyone in as many jobs as is sensible.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

- after all your link is from the DM - sadly no longer newspaper of good repute.

I would argue that having supported both Hitler and Oswald Mosely in the 1930s, it is nearly a century since it was a newspaper of good repute.

7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

You ask a male firefighter - any one at all - what their job title is and it won’t be fireman.

They are told to use gender neutral terms, as are the police, a policeman will never refer to himself as a policeman, nor will  a policewoman refer to herself as that either. Its a bit of a no no and potentially they could be disciplined for it. I happen to know that this is true.

A man who works for the fire brigade = Fireman 

A woman who works for the fire brigade = Firewoman. 

Its hardly rocket science