Sheffield Half Marathon 2019

On 14/09/2019 at 18:08, Paolo Coopio said:

Hows your training coming along Fudbeer?

York will be my first marathon too.

My long runs were going great (upto 12-13 miles) until around 5-6 weeks ago when I got a niggling achilles that turned into 2 weeks with no training at all.

Still easing back in but I've completely fallen off the mileage wagon and can only manage 7-8 miles at most now. Trying to build back up, but I think it's going to be a case of jeffing just to get to the finish line in whatever time it may take.

hI Paolo Coopio

You sound like me every time I crank up the training I get injured and achilles are one of my regular issues too I guess the hills round here have something to do with it.

Like you I have done virtually no running for nearly 2 weeks due to injury but things seem to be improving now so am hopeful to fit a few long runs in before the event.

I have been doing some HITT cross training so my fitness is still good.

I am hoping to finish in around 4.30 but obviously a lot depends on being able to get some long steady runs in in the next 2 weeks.

Have been told I may find it easier than I expect as so much of my running has been on hills and York is pretty flat.

We will see.

Good luck.

update.

Last week decided to crank the speed up a bit on the long run, big mistake.

After about 13 miles had nothing left and was the middle of a 20 mile long run had to really push just to keep running and walked the last mile.

So have decided not to think about time and just run really slow on long runs which I did yesterday and completed a 22 miler in 4.30 hours but felt ok at the end.

My game plan for the day will now be to complete 15 miles slow and if I have anything left at that point might increase pace a bit but 4.30 will almost certainly be unrealistic now.

At the end of the day its all about training and if you haven't done the millage then you won't get the time.

Good work Fudbeer. When those long runs don`t go to plan you just have to work out what went wrong and it sounds like you have. One of the best pieces of advice I had was, if after 10 miles you feel like you are going to slow... you`re still going too fast! Keep us posted.

Hi guys

Well managed to run York yesterday.

My time was 4 hours 26 so really happy with that.

Really enjoyed it (when not in pain lol)

Great (large) but well managed event.

Very different from a half as you basically just plod round as you cant go fast at the beginning or you will bonk and in the second half when you could go faster you are to tired to step it up (well I was)

My splits were all near 10 mins.

My training was weekly long runs and little other running although I cross trained.This is due to injury issues in the past.

Completed 5 long runs of 20 miles or more.

Now to focus on  a PB at sheffield half!

1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

Hi guys

Well managed to run York yesterday.

My time was 4 hours 26 so really happy with that.

Really enjoyed it (when not in pain lol)

Great (large) but well managed event.

Very different from a half as you basically just plod round as you cant go fast at the beginning or you will bonk and in the second half when you could go faster you are to tired to step it up (well I was)

My splits were all near 10 mins.

My training was weekly long runs and little other running although I cross trained.This is due to injury issues in the past.

Completed 5 long runs of 20 miles or more.

Now to focus on  a PB at sheffield half!

Great work! Wish I could still run that far...

Yeah, great effort and well done on getting 5 x 20 milers done.

Well  done Fudbeer! :)

Anyone else do Worksop Half yesterday?

My plan was to train up for, and get a decent time in, Sheffield HM next year. I'm not really 'half marathon fit' at the moment (my long runs in recent months have been around 8 miles), but at the last minute I decided to join friends and do Worksop. It was tough but I really enjoyed it still, and pleased I managed to run the whole 13.1 miles.

Got to around 4.5 miles, and some cyclists coming the other way warned we may need our swimming costumes...

Sure enough, around 2 minutes later there was a massive puddle in the middle of the road, with no way around. A lot of runners were just wading through, but some, like me, bombed right in. I just wanted to get through to the other side ASAP. Icey cold water well above the ankles, cold soaking wet feet and squelshy socks and shoes with 8.5 miles to go. All good fun still...

Edited by Waldo

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Well  done Fudbeer! :)

Anyone else do Worksop Half yesterday?

My plan was to train up for, and get a decent time in, Sheffield HM next year. I'm not really 'half marathon fit' at the moment (my long runs in recent months have been around 8 miles), but at the last minute I decided to join friends and do Worksop. It was tough but I really enjoyed it still, and pleased I managed to run the whole 13.1 miles.

Got to around 4.5 miles, and some cyclists coming the other way warned we may need our swimming costumes...

Sure enough, around 2 minutes later there was a massive puddle in the middle of the road, with no way around. A lot of runners were just wading through, but some, like me, bombed right in. I just wanted to get through to the other side ASAP. Icey cold water well above the ankles, cold soaking wet feet and squelshy socks and shoes with 8.5 miles to go. All good fun still...

Worksop is my favourite half marathon. I did yesterdays on the back of doing the Yorkshire marathon last week and quickly realised that my legs still had very little to give so I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I usually do. That puddle early on was bloody unpleasant but luckily the rest of the course was nice and dry. I love the run through Worksop College at the end and the race T shirts are always good.

13 hours ago, Goon said:

Worksop is my favourite half marathon. I did yesterdays on the back of doing the Yorkshire marathon last week and quickly realised that my legs still had very little to give so I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I usually do. That puddle early on was bloody unpleasant but luckily the rest of the course was nice and dry. I love the run through Worksop College at the end and the race T shirts are always good.

Ah, well done, and after the Yorkshire marathon too, good job! Feel a bit sorry for your legs though! 😛

Yeah it’s a great run, good value for money too.

Not a massive fan of this year’s T-shirt (seems a bit flimsy material, plus long sleeves),  previous ones are good though. Still have a green thick cotton one from 2008 with all the runners names on the back (very small print).