Jump to content


Climate change protests

Recommended Posts

I also disagree with the methods they used on this occasion. 2 years ago my husband drove me along that route to get me to hospital where I was diagnosed with Bacteria Meningitis. As I was losing consciousness on the journey, they told him later that his quick action of getting me to hospital saved my life... If we'd have been held up in this protest it's likely I would have died... Protesters please find sensible methods to put your point across. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it not make more sense for these protests to take place in holiday resorts such as Benidorm, Ibiza, Torremolinos etc...

 

How much pollution is caused by air travel by people going abroad on holiday

 

Surely going to these holiday resorts over  the coming months to protest would be more sensible?

 

Antagonising people trying to get to work probably isn't the best way to get people to have sympathy to your cause

 

Reducing the number of people going abroad on holiday has to be a good thing for the environment?

 

 

 

Edited by rogets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

you couldn't make it up. Hopefully to keep  Penistone999 happy all the righty tree hating brexiteers will be charged and prosecuted

Edited by TimmyR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Resident said:

The UK's output in 2016 was 367860.35 kton

 

China's CO2 output in 2016 was 10432751.35 kton, that's 28.35x more. 

 

By another contrast, China's output was more than DOUBLE that of the continental United States of America. 

 

Also China has been at the top of the CO2 output statistics since 2005. China hit over 1000000.00 kton in 2013 and averaged 1040000.00 kton every year since (figures rounded by myself)

 

Source - EDGAR

 

We are trying to stop a Tsunami with a poundland water-pistol. 

So we carry on as we then? That'll work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, blackydog said:

So we carry on as we then? That'll work.

Typical response when presented with facts. 

Why not look back in the thread and see the facts about how much the UK has reduced its output. Take personal responsibility and do your own bit for the environment and the power of 7 billion people doing that would make a bigger change.

 

You want to protest about it? make it effective and directed at the people who can make the changes, not standing on traffic lights for 5/7 min at a time on a Monday morning outside a train station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackydog said:

So we carry on as we then? That'll work.

Did I say we should give up? No. I merely pointed out that these protests are futile as they aren't aimed at the real culprits. 

 

The great irony is that these protests are mostly populated by younger generations who are the largest demographic of electronic consumer goods (mobile phones, tablets, consoles etc) which are produced in the same country as almost 30% of the CO2 in the world. 

 

It's also highly hypocritical of those kids who joined in as most of  them will be driven to/from school every day despite living in walking distance of the school. Ok some may not but that's why schools hire mass-transit providers to run bus services) 

 

Here's an idea. Let's hire some people to patrol a mile radius around schools and fine any parent/guardian dropping off or collecting their child at the start and end of the school day. 

 

Two birds, one stone. Lower emissions, particularly around schools and part-time employment so lower unemployment figures. 

Edited by Resident
Additional content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blocking every junction?    Brilliant idea guys!   Just hope none of you or your loved ones need an ambulance or the services of the Fire Brigade while this is going on!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Resident said:

Did I say we should give up? No. I merely pointed out that these protests are futile as they aren't aimed at the real culprits. 

 

The great irony is that these protests are mostly populated by younger generations who are the largest demographic of electronic consumer goods (mobile phones, tablets, consoles etc) which are produced in the same country as almost 30% of the CO2 in the world. 

 

It's also highly hypocritical of those kids who joined in as most of  them will be driven to/from school every day despite living in walking distance of the school. Ok some may not but that's why schools hire mass-transit providers to run bus services) 

 

Here's an idea. Let's hire some people to patrol a mile radius around schools and fine any parent/guardian dropping off or collecting their child at the start and end of the school day. 

 

Two birds, one stone. Lower emissions, particularly around schools and part-time employment so lower unemployment figures. 

Accusations of hypocrisy whether imagined or not (in this case based on no evidence) does not mean the argument is wrong.

 

I could tell you that smoking is unhealthy and that you shouldn't do it whilst smoking a fag but it doesn't make my assertion false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rogets said:

Reducing the number of people going abroad on holiday has to be a good thing for the environment?

 

But that is the truth about stopping climate change, which no one will confront. People will not vote to harm their own lifestyle choices, without a major reason.

Which is why the rich are always against action, because their lifestyle will be taxed or changed the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rogets said:

 

Reducing the number of people going abroad on holiday has to be a good thing for the environment?

 

 

 

Not true. I have my staff hand-pull me there in my carriage = zero emissions. Once there, they fan me and spritz water mist onto me, to minimise air-con usage. My green credentials are impeccable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yesterday I drove past a chap pushing a yellow framed bike up Halifax road, it reminded me of something familiar but I can't remember..... Thats it! Why don't the protestors form a company hiring bicycles in Sheffield!  Problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimmyR said:

Accusations of hypocrisy whether imagined or not (in this case based on no evidence) does not mean the argument is wrong.

 

I could tell you that smoking is unhealthy and that you shouldn't do it whilst smoking a fag but it doesn't make my assertion false.

Based on no evidence? 

 

Go stand outside a school between 7:45am and 9am or 2:30pm to 4pm, Mon-Fri during term time. You'll find plenty of evidence of hypocrisy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.