Climate change protests

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Do you agree with the Nazi party and Extinction Rebellion's strategy of restricting the public's right to access journalism of their choice?

Johnson has  a problem with investigative journalism and appears to equate Tory sycophants with the "free press".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/press-freedom-uk-government-council-europe-alert-boris-johnson-priti-patel-a9706741.html

Edited by Longcol

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Extinction Rebellion fascists are back in action again, trying to silence others while making their voices heard.

https://news.sky.com/story/extinction-rebellion-protests-at-printing-presses-stop-millions-of-papers-being-delivered-12064057

Using fascist tactics to shut down independent media and control the news agenda is chillingly totalitarian.

1. The Sun isn’t a newspaper. It is barely disguised propaganda to bolster The Murdoch empire.

2. Nobody has shut down independent media. XR have merely interfered with the distribution of paper copies. The news was printed, uncensored. It is freely available in digital form.

3. XR are fantastic at making their voices heard. I’m glad about that. Now, we need some proper climate action. Are you in?

10 hours ago, Pettytom said:

1. The Sun isn’t a newspaper. It is barely disguised propaganda to bolster The Murdoch empire.

2. Nobody has shut down independent media. XR have merely interfered with the distribution of paper copies. The news was printed, uncensored. It is freely available in digital form.

3. XR are fantastic at making their voices heard. I’m glad about that. Now, we need some proper climate action. Are you in?

The Nazi's also believed it to be acceptable to restrict the public's access to those publications they deemed to be barely disguised propaganda sheets. Were they correct too?

David Attenborough had an article in yesterdays Sun newspaper, in which he stated:

“I don’t think it is sensible politics to break the law. If you are any good at all, some of your demands will be met and then you will be demanding people abide by those new laws. You can’t have it both ways.”

It seems Extinction Rebellion wanted to censor his views and prevent people from  reading them.

Attacks on a free press are indicative of a totalitarian mindset. Book burning will follow.

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The Nazi's also believed it to be acceptable to restrict the public's access to those publications they deemed to be barely disguised propaganda sheets. Were they correct too?

David Attenborough had an article in yesterdays Sun newspaper, in which he stated:

“I don’t think it is sensible politics to break the law. If you are any good at all, some of your demands will be met and then you will be demanding people abide by those new laws. You can’t have it both ways.”

It seems Extinction Rebellion wanted to censor his views and prevent people from  reading them.

Attacks on a free press are indicative of a totalitarian mindset. Book burning will follow.

But the news was printed. And distributed.

XR are fantastic at getting their voices heard. I’m glad about that.  Now we need some proper climate action. Are you in?

27 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

But the news was printed. And distributed.

XR are fantastic at getting their voices heard. I’m glad about that.  Now we need some proper climate action. Are you in?

Extinction Rebellion and the NSDAP (Nazi party) both believe that it is acceptable to censor political opinions that they deem unacceptable.

I think this is a very dangerous totalitarian mindset that leads to suffering and intolerance.

Why do you believe that it is acceptable to censor legally held opinions you don't agree with? Have you learned any lessons from history? 

Edited by Car Boot

26 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Extinction Rebellion and the NSDAP (Nazi party) both believe that it is acceptable to censor political opinions that they deem unacceptable.

I think this is a very dangerous totalitarian mindset that leads to suffering and intolerance.

Why do you believe that it is acceptable to censor legally held opinions you don't agree with? Have you learned any lessons from history? 

We urgently need climate action.

Are you in?

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

We urgently need climate action.

Are you in?

The Nazi's urgently need anti democracy action.

Are you in?

This thread isn’t about Nazis.

Stay on topic now please.

8 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The Nazi's urgently need anti democracy action.

Are you in?

That doesn’t answer my question.

You don’t like the XR protest. I don’t mind it.

Do you think that urgent climate action is needed? If so, how should we bring it about?

Statement: SoE condemns blocking of printing press sites by Extinction Rebellion

"The Society of Editors (SoE) has condemned actions taken by Extinction Rebellion protesters which resulted in the delivery of several national UK newspapers being delayed this morning.

The protesters targeted three printing centres owned by News Corp to protest their claims over coverage of climate issues. Editions of several national daily newspapers were delayed by protesters’ blockades. Sixty-three people were later arrested.

Ian Murray, executive director of the Society of Editors branded the actions as both foolish and anti-democratic and said they were an obvious deliberate attempt to harm the UK’s free press.

“The irony of protesters who wish to have their voices heard and their message listened to attempting to silence others by preventing the distribution of newspapers would be laughable if it was not so serious,” commented Murray.

“You have to wonder whether those planning and taking part in these foolish actions understand anything from history; that controlling or shutting down free speech and an independent media is the first action of totalitarian regimes and dictators.

“Everyone has the right to peacefully protest and make their voices heard, after all that is what a free press is all about. But it is not acceptable for those who wish only their voices to be heard to attempt to silence others.

“The UK’s media has provided an enormous amount of coverage on the issue of climate change, exploring the arguments from all angles. This attempt to blackmail the media into slavishly repeating the claims of one side of the debate while ignoring criticism of it will fail but displays a poor understanding of how the freedoms that allow organisations like Extinction Rebellion to protest are protected through the very free press they are attacking.”

https://www.societyofeditors.org/soe_news/statement-soe-condemns-blocking-of-printing-press-sites-by-extinction-rebellion/

Extinction Rebellion is using fascist tactics to try and impose their particular brand of middle class extremism upon the rest of us. 

Edited by Car Boot

53 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Extinction Rebellion is using fascist tactics to try and impose their particular brand of middle class extremism upon the rest of us. 

Preventing the distribution of a few papers featuring propaganda from Murdoch and the Barclay brothers is far from a fascist act. I’d ban them from any newspaper ownership in the UK until they move here and pay tax here.  

Legitimate protest always inconveniences some people. In this case, see the fury of the establishment. They rely on billionaire newspaper owners to keep the plebs in line. There’s a reason why XR are the story today and not the fascists blockading Dover.  That stinks in my view.

Anyway, back to XR. How should we instigate climate action if we aren’t allowed to upset the billionaire propagandists?

It looks like they were only targetting the Murdoch presses and calling what comes out of those places "newspapers", is a bit of a stretch of the imagination.