Climate change protests

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

Staggering ignorance on display today.

I agree , ive just seen on of those tree huggers protesting in London on the news and their ignorance is staggering.

Extinction Rebellion are an overwhelmingly white,  middle-aged and upper middle-class regressive and reactionary elitist movement. 

It is a protest movement for white, middle-class privilege.

Edited by Car Boot

38 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Extinction Rebellion are an overwhelmingly white,  middle-aged and upper middle-class regressive and reactionary elitist movement. 

It may well be that the people who attend this protest are mostly white and middle class; I hope that in the coming years they attract a wider cross section of the public. 

However, because the protests aren't a representative cross section of the public, that doesn't invalidate their argument. If the protest were a strike by local authority workers like support staff or admin staff would you be complaining that it was a bunch of working class people whinging about work? Most likely not.

I think you need to drop the 'chip on your shoulder' act. So what if people are middle class and white, are they somehow to blame for this. or indeed is it anything they need to feel guilty about?

You come across as really immature.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Penistone999 said:

I agree , ive just seen on of those tree huggers protesting in London on the news and their ignorance is staggering.

King of ignorance claims science-backed protestors are ignorant. What are brexit protestors?

6 hours ago, ads36 said:

They're not, nothing can stop it. It's going to change, and it's going to be bad.

But right now, we have a choice. We can choose between 'bad' , or 'catastrophic'.

We all know what we have to do, and mostly, this needs action at a national and global level.

So what are you going to do?

my choices make little / no difference.

No kids / less meat / not flown in 2 years / I cycle or lift share to work / wear clothes till they're knackered (no new clothes this year) / pay extra for renewable-only energy / keep an old car running / etc.

I know it all makes no difference. I'm an idiot.

We need the government to stop subsidising fossil fuels / create safe cycle routes / stop funding anachronistic land-use / proceed with next-generation nuclear power (small modular) / etc. 

So I vote green, which probably about as much as I can do. I haven't been on a X-R protest, I think they're after the wrong target.

If it were anything to do with me, they'd protest outside councillors homes - peacefully :   "Morning Mr/s councillor, you'll notice we've blocked your car on your drive, you'll be walking/cycling / getting the bus to work" 

Edited by ads36

6 hours ago, Car Boot said:

If we turned the clocks back a century you’d no doubt be saying the same about the suffragette movement.

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do you know if emergency services have been blocked or inconvenienced? Do you think your brexit thugs give tupenny **** when they’re holding up traffic? Do you think your grandkids will thank your generations inaction when climate change really starts to bite? It won’t discriminate by the way, climate change.

And “creatures”, good god, believe it or not they’re trying to help you out. But it’s based on science and fact so it won’t mean much to you.

Did you watch the Politics show BeeB 2,  12.15. A real eye opener, I will skip over the XR man on the show, he is simply deluded. But at the very end of the show the Tory guy on the panel asked our deluded friend if he could ensure that access would be made available for the emergency services over (I forget which bridge) that the XR lunatics had blocked. Our EX representative was quick off the mark to tell all that "blue lights" could drive over without any problem or hold up. Our Tory replied, odd, I have just walked over or tried to walk over and the bridge is completely blocked by tents. Whoops, red faces all round. I assume your reply will be the Tory is telling lies while the EX lunatic is telling the truth. 

Angel1.

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

We need the government to stop subsidising fossil fuels / create safe cycle routes / stop funding anachronistic land-use / proceed with next-generation nuclear power (small modular) / etc. 

So I vote green, which probably about as much as I can do. I haven't been on a X-R protest, I think they're after the wrong target.

If it were anything to do with me, they'd protest outside councillors homes - peacefully :   "Morning Mr/s councillor, you'll notice we've blocked your car on your drive, you'll be walking/cycling / getting the bus to work" 

We need deeper, more fundamental change even than that I'm afraid. There is actually a solution though.

The cost of renewable energy production is plummeting, and has been for years. For example, there will come a point at which it will stop being profitable to make solar panels because they will cost so little to produce. This should be a good thing of course, but we are locked into a capitalist system which doesn't 'work' if things become that cheap to make. So the system will engineer scarcity to make them more expensive, either by numerous producers going bust because the marginal cost is so low or by producers artificially restricting supply, like housebuilders do.

At the same time we have increasing automation, and more and more jobs are set to become automated, mainly due to Moore's Law. Jobs which were considered safe from automation a few years ago are now looking very vulnerable, including a number of medical and legal roles that are currently considered skilled.

What we could do in response to this is embrace automation so that most of us would only have to work a day or two a week, and have completely free 100% renewable energy so as to avoid the worst, most catastrophic effects of anthropogenic climate change. But this can't happen in a capitalist system, because if so many jobs are automated then people won't have the wages to pay for goods and services so that business can make a profit. And because free energy is anathema to business. But if we free ourselves from capitalism and just divide the products of free, automated labour among everyone equally, we can have very free, enjoyable lives and avoid the worst consequences of climate change.

The reason people like Boris Johnson and Donald Trump are so against this kind of change is that they solely represent people who are rich, and those people do not want us to have enjoyable lives of leisure where we don't die from lack of food or clean water, because the flip side of that is that they will lose their priviliges and have to be like the rest of us, and their money-making disorders are the most important thing to them. But we are in a crisis situation, so people need to pick a side.

Edited by TeaFan

3 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Did you watch the Politics show BeeB 2,  12.15. A real eye opener, I will skip over the XR man on the show, he is simply deluded. But at the very end of the show the Tory guy on the panel asked our deluded friend if he could ensure that access would be made available for the emergency services over (I forget which bridge) that the XR lunatics had blocked. Our EX representative was quick off the mark to tell all that "blue lights" could drive over without any problem or hold up. Our Tory replied, odd, I have just walked over or tried to walk over and the bridge is completely blocked by tents. Whoops, red faces all round. I assume your reply will be the Tory is telling lies while the EX lunatic is telling the truth. 

Angel1.

How many protests happen in London? Or just road accidents etc? Do you think this is the first time a bridge in London  has been taken out of commission?

You can't shoot the message so you're clutching at anything and everything else.

8 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Could anyone who speaks mumbo jumbo please decipher?