Climate change protests

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Why are we discussing Emma Thompson's 'hypocracy' or trivia like whether the flag is made out of plastic fibres, etc? 

This is just diverting the argument about very serious issues. It doesn't ask why no other form of less polluting, but fast travel is available, and if not, why not? ) Or why other, better substances are not always used in preference to the toxic ones.

Why do people always launch into people who are simply doing their best to raise important issues that need to be, and should be discussed, rather than look at the bigger picture of what they're actually trying to do,?  

Because people would rather argue the toss against rather than take on board the message

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Why are we discussing Emma Thompson's 'hypocracy' or trivia like whether the flag is made out of plastic fibres, etc? 

This is just diverting the argument about very serious issues. It doesn't ask why no other form of less polluting, but fast travel is available, and if not, why not? ) Or why other, better substances are not always used in preference to the toxic ones.

Why do people always launch into people who are simply doing their best to raise important issues that need to be, and should be discussed, rather than look at the bigger picture of what they're actually trying to do,?  

The hypocrisy very much shows a "do as I say and not as I do" approach to protest. It's not going to win people over - people whose carbon footprint will be far, far less than left wing celebs jumping on a PR bandwagon.

Again, as I have related elsewhere on the forum, in 2011 Occupy represented the last chance for us to listen and act as finance capital rotted the core of democracy. Too late - we did not take any notice. We preferred to mock and sneer, and now we face the neo-reactionary forces that have infested the body politic. Similarly, we cannot allow the business-as-usual adepts of political distraction and corporate propaganda to prevail. Extinction Rebellion are offering us this very last chance to engage meaningfully with the existential crisis that is facing us all as the planet begins to boil and rage beyond habitability. And too late this time really shall mean too late for everythying, for everyone.

We might be exhausted and humiliated, our critical faculties diminished as collective intellect gives way to confusion and anxiety, but unless we summon the energy to halt the forces of petro-brutality and calculated political inaction, we shall face true devastation. Extinction Rebellion are asking us to recognise our common plight and understand the urgency of the task.

Wake me up when Humans ACTUALLY alter the climate any more than NATURE has and does?.

The Energy providers would be most interested to hear from you.

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Because people would rather argue the toss against rather than take on board the message

There is a VAST difference between 'arguing the toss' and FACTS.

What about the evidence that suggests climate change may delay the next ice age? We're doomed one way or another. May as well enjoy ourselves in the meantime.

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Because Anna they are important things that should be highlighted.  

Just because it goes against your own stance does not mean you can waft your hand and dismiss it. 

I feel that discussing the potentially massive hypocracy of this protest group and it's luvvie supporters is just as relevant as anything else

Are they using mass produced pound shop flags and banners made in a sweat shop in china?   Are their slogan t shirts made by some child worker in Bangladesh for tuppence a day?   Do they use any kind of fossil based fuel to get to and from these events   - If yes, they are part of the problem and have absolutely  no right to be preaching and disrupting others going about their business. 

As for our celebrity friends and jetsetters breezing in to show their "support".  Makes me sick.  

Personally I feel these silly stunts done more damage than good - particularly when the started disrupting mass public transit systems.   

Everybody knows the message they have been preaching on about it for 30 years. The majority of the Western world ARE doing something about it.  

We all know exactly who are causing the problems but I bet ER won't be seen causing disruption there.

It's totally obvious that the target should be the countries, regimes and companies which are causing the biggest problem.  But as always with these protest groups they have no balls to tackle the corporate world and just go for the easier option of disrupting the general public.   

To have an effect, Global warming can only be tackled at global level, by taking on governments and Corporations to clean up their act.

Who is going to make them do that?  Well, in a word, we are. In fact we are the only ones who can. By standing together and demanding change. The whole population standing together is the most powerful thing there is, which is why governments etc try to divide us at every opportunity.  

They have had the chance to make significant changes for years, but have failed to do much other than nibble away at the edges.

Legislation is not difficult. I probably wouldn't like a lot of it, but know it's necessary for all our sakes, but the real trouble lies much further up the chain, and to do my bit down at the bottom, I require big changes all the way up. 

1 hour ago, Staunton said:

Again, as I have related elsewhere on the forum, in 2011 Occupy represented the last chance for us to listen and act as finance capital rotted the core of democracy. Too late - we did not take any notice. We preferred to mock and sneer, and now we face the neo-reactionary forces that have infested the body politic. Similarly, we cannot allow the business-as-usual adepts of political distraction and corporate propaganda to prevail. Extinction Rebellion are offering us this very last chance to engage meaningfully with the existential crisis that is facing us all as the planet begins to boil and rage beyond habitability. And too late this time really shall mean too late for everythying, for everyone.

We might be exhausted and humiliated, our critical faculties diminished as collective intellect gives way to confusion and anxiety, but unless we summon the energy to halt the forces of petro-brutality and calculated political inaction, we shall face true devastation. Extinction Rebellion are asking us to recognise our common plight and understand the urgency of the task.

Ah , i remember them . Set up a tented camp outside sheffield cathedral , but no one was actually camping out there . Camp Casper it became known as. What happened to those scruffy herbert`s ?

53 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Ah , i remember them . Set up a tented camp outside sheffield cathedral , but no one was actually camping out there . Camp Casper it became known as. What happened to those scruffy herbert`s ?

They became exhausted by the enormity of the task, their energies depleted by attrition, beset by strategic legal obstacle. It happens to all political experiment, as the tory party have just discovered. We have been witnessing their death throes as they collapse into a cess of discharged puss and hawked bile, abuse and disgrace.

Unfortunately, the political parameters look in auspicious as the neo-reactionaries seek opportunity to assert their own brand of misery on us in the political space vacated by the collapse of neoliberalism. I don't imagine for one moment that they shall be sensitive to the pressing environmental concerns that Extinction Rebellion are so bravely articulating.

Edited by Staunton

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

To have an effect, Global warming can only be tackled at global level, by taking on governments and Corporations to clean up their act.

Who is going to make them do that?  Well, in a word, we are. In fact we are the only ones who can. By standing together and demanding change. The whole population standing together is the most powerful thing there is, which is why governments etc try to divide us at every opportunity.  

They have had the chance to make significant changes for years, but have failed to do much other than nibble away at the edges.

Legislation is not difficult. I probably wouldn't like a lot of it, but know it's necessary for all our sakes, but the real trouble lies much further up the chain, and to do my bit down at the bottom, I require big changes all the way up. 

Best of luck with China, I'm sure their poor will enjoy your enthusiasm .

4 minutes ago, retep said:

There is very little difference between the per capita CO2 emissions of the UK and China. So, it is indeed correct that we should continue to put our own house in order. I very much doubt that the Chinese poor create anywhere near as much CO2 as you, or I.

If you were trying to pick out a climate change bad guy, you’d have been better off looking at the USA, for example.

7 minutes ago, retep said:

Yes , lets bring London to a standstill and then we will move on and protest in China . No , lets stick to London . Why ?  Well  London  will give us a week and then politely move us on  ,     but  China ............

7 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Yes , lets bring London to a standstill and then we will move on and protest in China . No , lets stick to London . Why ?  Well  London  will give us a week and then politely move us on  ,     but  China ............

So you're happy for things to continue the way they have been for the last 30+ years?

If not, what do you propose?