Climate change protests

Just now, Pettytom said:

I’m not 

Im sorry but you are. A quick Google could tell you that.

2 minutes ago, Waj said:

Im sorry but you are. A quick Google could tell you that.

A  quick re-read of Ecco’s claim, before googling might tell you something else.

Just now, Pettytom said:

A  quick re-read of Ecco’s claim, before googling might tell you something else.

China is a developing country

China produces way more CO2 than we do.

9 minutes ago, Waj said:

China is a developing country

China produces way more CO2 than we do.

I agree with you. And I accept your original correction of me up there ^^^ somewhere.

But China isn’t plenty of countries.

25 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I agree with you. And I accept your original correction of me up there ^^^ somewhere.

But China isn’t plenty of countries.

Very true, China is not plenty of countries.

Ive been told they produce more CO2 than America, India, Japan and the UK combined though.

China's population is huge, of course it has a higher carbon footprint than other smaller countries.

Per capita, the picture changes.

And let's remember that a lot of China's emissions are really ours. Powering the factories that produce the things we love to buy.

We're all responsible for this. Especially comfortable Europeans. With our high energy* consumption.

(*in whatever form you care to consume it : electricity, transport, water, heat, meat, things, clothes, avacados, etc.)

Over population? Yes it's part of the problem. But given a choice, between a global cull, and nudging fatties in the west to use their cars less, and stop eating meat 4 times a day, even a spoilt snowflake like me can see the 'right' option.

We're responsible, you, me, them, everybody. I'm not asking you to change your lifestyle. I'm asking our government to make sure we *all* change our lifestyles.

That's the only way it'll work.

5 minutes ago, ads36 said:

China's population is huge, of course it has a higher carbon footprint than other smaller countries.

Per capita, the picture changes.

And let's remember that a lot of China's emissions are really ours. Powering the factories that produce the things we love to buy.

We're all responsible for this. Especially comfortable Europeans. With our high energy* consumption.

(*in whatever form you care to consume it : electricity, transport, water, heat, meat, things, clothes, avacados, etc.)

Over population? Yes it's part of the problem. But given a choice, between a global cull, and nudging fatties in the west to use their cars less, and stop eating meat 4 times a day, even a spoilt snowflake like me can see the 'right' option.

We're responsible, you, me, them, everybody. I'm not asking you to change your lifestyle. I'm asking our government to make sure we *all* change our lifestyles.

That's the only way it'll work.

Cracking post! 👍

And to be clear is was not defending our CO2 emissions or trying to demonize another nation. I was just pointing out someone's error.

Me personally? I think we all need to do way more for the environment. If everyone did their little bit then the whole job would be easier to tackle.

6 minutes ago, ads36 said:

1. We're responsible, you, me, them, everybody. I'm not asking you to change your lifestyle. I'm asking our government to make sure we *all* change our lifestyles.

2. That's the only way it'll work.

I think completely different, and I've said the same for years, but it's not popular because people prefer to attack governments.

I said same about tax dodging companies - stop moaning - and start not using. People don't though, so this is why 1. we're responsible fails with protesters/activists.

Even this newest young lass who now has a platform, is wasting it, by spouting out the same old crap. Anti-capitalist, anti-government etc.

If she used her platform better (IMO of course) - then she might actually change the world.

If this was her speech, but written better of course, then I think she would make a difference.

''World, I'm talking to the young only. Stuff the old, they'll be dead soon.

We can change the world!

1. Start by telling your parents, you don't want to go abroad for holidays if it means flying.

2. Look at where all your clothes were made. Get a map, and set a limit. anything more than 500 miles, is out for future purchases.

3. Look at the food you buy. If it's seasonal to us, but we want it anyway? tough! see above for ranges. Our ancestors have lived on seasonal food for thousands of years.

4. If you like looking for solutions for tomorrow, then study in sciences / computers / etc etc. blah blah
5. Try and eat local food

6. Cycle more than getting lifts - with todays tech, you can probably live feed it to parents if they are too soft

7. Don't buy a new phone every week

8. Read books on logical debate - list a few.

9. Turn things off, don't waste water.

10. If you can, and have a garden, grow a product. Get community to all do the same and exchange with each other.

I could go on. But if she came out with this, I would think she could potentially have a much better chance to change the world. As long as the kids know that this is the solution, as the older generation are too embedded into this nasty ole world.

WE ARE THE FUTURE!!''

She won't though. Just rant rant rant.

3 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I think completely different, and I've said the same for years, but it's not popular because people prefer to attack governments.

I said same about tax dodging companies - stop moaning - and start not using. People don't though, so this is why 1. we're responsible fails with protesters/activists.

Even this newest young lass who now has a platform, is wasting it, by spouting out the same old crap. Anti-capitalist, anti-government etc.

If she used her platform better (IMO of course) - then she might actually change the world.

If this was her speech, but written better of course, then I think she would make a difference.

''World, I'm talking to the young only. Stuff the old, they'll be dead soon.

We can change the world!

1. Start by telling your parents, you don't want to go abroad for holidays if it means flying.

2. Look at where all your clothes were made. Get a map, and set a limit. anything more than 500 miles, is out for future purchases.

3. Look at the food you buy. If it's seasonal to us, but we want it anyway? tough! see above for ranges. Our ancestors have lived on seasonal food for thousands of years.

4. If you like looking for solutions for tomorrow, then study in sciences / computers / etc etc. blah blah

6. Cycle more than getting lifts - with todays tech, you can probably live feed it to parents if they are too soft

10. If you can, and have a garden, grow a product. Get community to all do the same and exchange with each other.

I could go on. But if she came out with this, I would think she could potentially have a much better chance to change the world. As long as the kids know that this is the solution, as the older generation are too embedded into this nasty ole world.

WE ARE THE FUTURE!!''

She won't though. Just rant rant rant.

I agree with most of your post - and I’d wager if you went through gretas statements she might say the same, she’d definitely agree with you, the fact she decided to go to states by boat illustrates that.

But, as I’ve said before, it’s asking a bit much for a 16 year old to come up with global policy. Shes just asking the grown ups to get their finger out!

4 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

obviously this list is a bit simplistic, and not much detail, but the messages are there.

If these young people acted, then the BIG BOYS would have to react. They know they won't have to though, because people aren't bothered when it comes down to it.

Imagine for example this scenario...

If you hate McDonalds, and don't like their practices but ok to eat the food, then would you allow 'the kids' to eat there, if for example this happened to some local McDonalds:

McDonalds 1 - a normal store like now

McDonalds 2 - one with a sign outside that says all our Milk comes from local farms, and so does the meat. You can go up to Stannington and see how well they are looked after.

Which would you choose?

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I agree with most of your post - and I’d wager if you went through gretas statements she might say the same, she’d definitely agree with you, the fact she decided to go to states by boat illustrates that.

But, as I’ve said before, it’s asking a bit much for a 16 year old to come up with global policy. Shes just asking the grown ups to get their finger out!

And this is the problem.  Grown ups won't change. Her [and not just her, almost all far left or right wing wing propaganda] just looks to attack something rather than a solution that might actually work. I never see anyone suggesting what I suggest. If you watched QT last night, it was a good example.

I know what people will say in here, because most members are of the view that to reform something means the government has to do something. I don't trust them. They make rash decisions that affect people who shouldn't be affected.

-

Either way, she's been put in huge danger IMO. I don't know who is influencing it, but she must be ******* a lot of people off.

-

Obviously economics is important. If she suggested my list, then millions of foreigners in sweatshops would have less than the nothing they have now, so there's no easy answer. However, the plus side is that local economies pick up by less use of shipping food. And my community idea would mean that people would look forward to seasonal fruit etc. Now the manderins in my fridge say Argentina on them. They were about a pound. What's the carbon footprint on that?!