Climate change protests

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Great - no more fracking.  Stop that tomorrow.     Our ever consuming energy requirements are fulfilled with what system (that is all fully estalibshed, cost effective and ready to go immediately)

gas is a stop-gap. allowing us to quickly phase out coal. we've already done that. now we need to start the transition to renewables and nuclear. in the mean time, we can buy gas. we mustn't extract any more of it.

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes - lets go nuclear -  im sure that will be accepted without question instantly.   You know how popular nuclear is with the wider society.

we're already 'doing' nuclear, we're just doing it badly. modular reactors are ready to go, and cheap (because of mass production economics)

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Aviation already has an environmental tax applied - why should there be double recovery.  

it's tiny, token effort. when you can still get a flight for £20 it's nowhere near enough to change behaviour.

10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

There is a dispute going on about the effectiveness of wind power - why should the ban be removed until we know it actually works

i'm going to use a word that upset you earlier : evidence?

33 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What the hell are you talking about.

I am certainly not a right wing dinosaur as you put it.   Jesus, I am complete opposite in my political alliance.

Nevermind him..if you have a different opinion to him that means you are a right wing, brexiteer, trump lover blah, blah.  There's no middle ground just left or right 

1 hour ago, carosio said:

What are practical alternatives for plastic, something we could use when (and if) the oil industry is no more?

We can make plastic from plants https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioplastic

We just need to think harder, innovate and use available technologies better. We had half the world under our boot and we didnt fly anywhere and plastic wasn't invented! Yes we used tremendous amounts of violence, a fair degree of cruelty but we innovated. As a society, the bottom line and profit margins seem to be the be all and end all.

21 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

WInd farms are terrible for birds

As is climate change, human encroachment on their habitat and modern farming techniques (I’d argue the latter is most damaging in the UK)

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Now, what about the developing world, the african nations with their never ending breading, the United States where flying is still treated as hopping on a bus....       Blocking people getting to their work, damaging property, unnecessarilly utilsing emergency services resources, causing public disorder and generally acting like irritating self righteous prats aint exactly doing much to change those things is it.

A lovely bit of whataboutism.

There is not a single developing nation that emits as much CO2 as the UK. Not one.

I’m not sure what their baking habits have to do with anything either.

11 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

There is not a single developing nation that emits as much CO2 as the UK. Not one.

What about China?

54 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

WInd farms are terrible for birds

If they are, so are power lines, cars, cats, industrial agriculture, etc.

Whyare we singling out wind turbines for special criticism?

Are they *the* solution? No.

But, right now, UK power demand is about 35 GW, and wind is providing around 11GW, so it's already *part* of the solution, and growing...

Edited by ads36

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

What about (per capita):

Turkmenistan?

Trinidad and Tobago?

South Africa?

Slovakia?

Seychelles?

Serbia & Montenegro?

Qatar?

Palau?

Oman?

Mongolia?

Malaysia?

Kazakhstan?

Curaçao?

All of these countries have higher CO2 emissions per head than the UK. 

first Ad hominem, and now whataboutery.

try harder.

if we make a mess, we should clean it up. if we're polluting, we should stop.

Edited by ads36

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The government and several councils have declared "climate change emergency".    

There are proposals and targets set for net carbon emmisions in place. 

Shops and stores have set directives to reduce plastic production and waste

Introduction of carrier bag charges

Introduction of environmental charges to companies when disposing of certain categories of waste

Mass recycling schemes with associated penalites

Local council schemes to reduce car use in cities and encourage public transport

Car free days

Congestion charges

BA has annonced plans to reduce to net emissions on domestic flights.

I could go on.... 

Like I said.  WE as a nation are doing something.    We as a nation are well aware of the problem and are taking steps to tackle it.   

YES, it may well not be as quick as ER and the associated rabble would want - but they dont have to deal with the harsh reality of coming up with and implementing practical solutions.    The reality is that change doesn't happen overnight so hard cheese. 

Now, what about the developing world, the african nations with their never ending breading, the United States where flying is still treated as hopping on a bus....       Blocking people getting to their work, damaging property, unnecessarilly utilsing emergency services resources, causing public disorder and generally acting like irritating self righteous prats aint exactly doing much to change those things is it.

Contrast this risible list with what is going on in Denmark 

You are right that it can't be done overnight, which is why some countries made a start on this years ago. Generally it's countries populated by actual adults, that don't have the infantile culture Britain has, where massively important decisions are made based on whether someone is wearing sandals. 

We haven't got time to pish about like you are advocating, politicians have had all the time they needed to get ready and stave off disaster. Unless maximum pressure is put on them they will continue to dawdle and drag, because it doesn't really affect them because they are so old. 

(Note: post made without use of block capitals)

Edited by TeaFan

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Oh really so why does the statistics from the the European Commission Environmental Assessment Agency have have 64 countries ahead of United Kingdom with worst CO2 emissions per capita.

How come that list is filled with places like Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan, Estonia, South Korea, Turkmenistan Taiwan, Libya, Poland, South Africa, China Slovenia, Bulgaria, Iraq, Chile, Ukraine, Venezuela, Latvia, Thailand...

I'll tell you exactly what their baking habits have got to do with it smart arse.  That bun in the oven will cause more environmental damage when it's born on this planet than 1000 jumbo jet flights.

Its that wonderful thing that climate change protests completely ignore. Overpopulation.