Climate change protests

1 hour ago, Staunton said:

They became exhausted by the enormity of the task, their energies depleted by attrition, beset by strategic legal obstacle. It happens to all political experiment, as the tory party have just discovered. We have been witnessing their death throes as they collapse into a cess of discharged puss and hawked bile, abuse and disgrace.

Unfortunately, the political parameters look in auspicious as the neo-reactionaries seek opportunity to assert their own brand of misery on us in the political space vacated by the collapse of neoliberalism. I don't imagine for one moment that they shall be sensitive to the pressing environmental concerns that Extinction Rebellion are so bravely articulating.

Occupy didn't articulate anything, that was there problem. "Oooh life isn't fair and the banks are arseholes" doesn't really do it. We all knew that. This lot have more of a goal.

5 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

The hypocrisy very much shows a "do as I say and not as I do" approach to protest. It's not going to win people over - people whose carbon footprint will be far, far less than left wing celebs jumping on a PR bandwagon.

So if rees mogg did it you'd be ok? 

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So you're happy for things to continue the way they have been for the last 30+ years?

If not, what do you propose?

Personally , I think climate change  on earth is cyclical ,  Ice age etc  .  So I ask you , what do you think this protest , that has cost the country many millions has achieved ? 

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Personally , I think climate change  on earth is cyclical ,  Ice age etc  .  So I ask you , what do you think this protest , that has cost the country many millions has achieved ? 

Brexit has cost way more than that.

And your opinion flys in the face on a whole bunch of scientists. It would be easier for government's to say there isn't a problem, it's all cyclical. They wouldn't need to do anything then.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I think it has raised awareness at least, although I'm a bit disgusted in the way it's been portrayed in the media. I think good people working together for a good cause deserve some respect.

I also have to disagree with Tinfoilhat's assertion that 'Occupy' didn't achieve anything.  Again, I think they raised awareness and issues that people were unfamiliar with, and got people talking.  There is much more awareness now, that governments are to a large extent controlled by the big corporations and lobbyists, and that our 'democracy' falls way short of what it is supposed to be. It's a long road, but we are walking it, and things are slowly changing.

11 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Destroying a third of the planets forrests while we produce even more carbon isnt a cycle,its suicide

12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Brexit has cost way more than that.

And your opinion flys in the face on a whole bunch of scientists. It would be easier for government's to say there isn't a problem, it's all cyclical. They wouldn't need to do anything then.

Wrong thread for Brexit  , bang on about it elsewhere .  What has this protest achieved other than  huge cost to the country ?

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think it has raised awareness at least, although I'm a bit disgusted in the way it's been portrayed in the media. I think good people working together for a good cause deserve some respect.

I also have to disagree with Tinfoilhat's assertion that 'Occupy' didn't achieve anything.  Again, I think they raised awareness and issues that people were unfamiliar with, and got people talking.  There is much more awareness now, that governments are to a large extent controlled by the big corporations and lobbyists, and that our 'democracy' falls way short of what it is supposed to be. It's a long road, but we are walking it, and things are slowly changing.

Raised awareness  , seriously .  These same people have been raising the same old  awareness for decades now.  What has this week achieved ?

34 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

So if rees mogg did it you'd be ok? 

Rees-Mogg wouldn't join a climate change protest so I have no idea of the relevance of the question.

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Wrong thread for Brexit  , bang on about it elsewhere .  What has this protest achieved other than  huge cost to the country ?

Raised awareness  , seriously .  These same people have been raising the same old  awareness for decades now.  What has this week achieved ?

Daily mass media coverage on the news.

And it's not the 'same old awareness' this time, is it? It has morphed into 'civil disobedience' and has affected people's daily lives so they've had to sit up and take notice. They have been inconvenienced, but not half as much as we're all going to be if we don't do something about climate change and environmental issues. 

Civil disobedience can achieve a lot, as has been proved by various political campaigns in the past.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Raised awareness and encouraged other to speak out,if we get a summer like last year,water shortages will mean dissruption to supply,uk water companys are already preparing and consulting with ministers after a snowless winter.

Next ten years could be very tough if this pattern continues,the ten years after that will be catastrophic,and with more methane in the atmosphere from melting ice,the planet will get hotter quicker

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Rees-Mogg wouldn't join a climate change protest so I have no idea of the relevance of the question.

Other than a bit of secret  Jacob  love , I am also wondering why ????

Just now, Anna B said:

Daily mass media coverage on the news.

And it's not the 'same old awareness' this time, is it? It has morphed into 'civil disobedience' and has affected people's daily lives so they've had to sit up and take notice. They have been inconvenienced, but not half as much as we're all going to be if we don't do something about it.

Civil disobedience can achieve a lot, as has been proved by various political campaigns in the past.

We're not going to be inconvenienced. We'll be long dead before any real effects are felt. It may effect our great, great, great, great grandchildren, but then again an asteroid could hit the Earth before that, or they could've migrated to another planet with future technology. An ice age may be accidentally staved off by climate change. The solution isn't for humanity to return to living like cavemen.

28 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Do you have any qualifications as a climate scientist? Or even any relevant experience?

If not, your opinion isn't worth the electrons that you wasted posting it.

Virtually the whole scientific community agree that we are in this up

to our necks. It’s time to stop pretending that this is some kind of frippery that we can ignore and start to make real changes.