Climate change protests

I can tell you straight none of the children in our family attendee any of these protests

There was nobody available to drive them there and back.

We can drive the kids to school and home again, as the school is only 100 meters from our house

But driving 3 miles in rush hour?

Perhaps the organisers need to rethink about driving and parking arrangements in future?

I think the children are raising valid points about the environment.  The other parents agreed 

On 21/03/2019 at 14:20, Resident said:

Based on no evidence? 

Go stand outside a school between 7:45am and 9am or 2:30pm to 4pm, Mon-Fri during term time. You'll find plenty of evidence of hypocrisy. 

you've completely missed my point.  

It’s looking very likely that Newcastle council are trying to introduce a stealth tax to cross the 3 main bridges.  The reason for this tax is to improve air quality and climate change.  The worst bridge being polluted is the Tyne Bridge, so they say. 

They are looking at charging £3.40 to drive over the bridges.  I feel sorry for two of my neighbours who have to use these bridges to go to work.  Both of them being hard working family men, who live within their means, they can do without this tax. Buses are not an option for them. 

Are these councillors aware that not everyone can afford this air pollution tax that can cause harm to families financially. 

Edited by hauxwell

8 hours ago, hauxwell said:

It’s looking very likely that Newcastle council are trying to introduce a stealth tax to cross the 3 main bridges.  The reason for this tax is to improve air quality and climate change.  The worst bridge being polluted is the Tyne Bridge, so they say. 

They are looking at charging £3.40 to drive over the bridges.  I feel sorry for two of my neighbours who have to use these bridges to go to work.  Both of them being hard working family men, who live within their means, they can do without this tax. Buses are not an option for them. 

Are these councillors aware that not everyone can afford this air pollution tax that can cause harm to families financially. 

What's stealthy about it and what's preventing them using the bus?

Edited by Halibut

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

What's stealthy about it and what's preventing them using the bus?

The information was leaked out at first.  The council now say they want to introduce these charges.

One neighbour works shifts, he has to leave the house at 5.30 am, there is no buses at that time.  It can be after midnight when he gets home, depending on his shift, again no buses. The other neighbour has to travel 30 miles to get to work and it’s after 7 pm when I see him parking his car.  

Maybe there will be a free pass for locals, like with the new Mersey gateway bridge? 

Considering Newcastle operates the only other underground system in England perhaps the answer is to invest in increasing the size of the network?

The last extension was made at the turn of the centuary, plenty of money has been spent on London infrastructure in the meantime.

2 hours ago, geared said:

Considering Newcastle operates the only other underground system in England perhaps the answer is to invest in increasing the size of the network?

The last extension was made at the turn of the centuary, plenty of money has been spent on London infrastructure in the meantime.

Of course there has been plenty of money spent on the infrastructure in London, thats where ALL the money is spent.  Good luck with getting any of it spent outside the M25

6 hours ago, geared said:

Good idea if it was extended, the last extension to Sunderland is well used.  in the meantime the Metro needs money spending on it.  

Two underground stations have been updated, first time since the Metro came into operation in 1980.  Two more underground stations  needs to be done.  The Trains are old and the seats or dirty were people put their feet on them.  That is one good thing about the Trams in Sheffield, I have been on the Tram when the conductor has asked people to take feet off the seat, there is no conductor on the Metro.  

A few years ago  Government said on the local news that they are gong to give money to replace the old Metro Trains, however I have been told it could take years.

4 hours ago, alchemist said:

Of course there has been plenty of money spent on the infrastructure in London, thats where ALL the money is spent.  Good luck with getting any of it spent outside the M25

I think your right, no sign of the new Metro Trains promised by Government.

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Maybe there will be a free pass for locals, like with the new Mersey gateway bridge? 

I didn’t know that,  good idea.

Edited by hauxwell

Been some more Schoolkids protests today in Sheffield and Leeds . Just seen on the news a protestor being interviewed and saying he was protesting because if  nothing was done now , there would be no planet in 12 years . Who is teaching these kids this rubbish

Edited by hackey lad

Over 100 of these militant, hard left , professional protesters already arrested in London for stopping people going about their lawful ,daily business. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47945397

Criminal damage caused to Waterloo Bridge and to Shell `s HQ building. 

The book needs to be thrown at these people. 

Edited by Penistone999

No it doesn't. Punishment should be proportionate.

Demonstrating is a fundamental civil liberty. Nobody complained when gammons started protesting outside Downing Street when they feared they wouldn't get their lousyBrexit.

Edited by Mister M