Climate change protests

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ha!  Amazing.   He has the gall to father four children as well.

I do love it when these people completely fail to practice what they preach on others.

There is plenty of academia out there to show how much damage to the environment breeding can do.  For those that know don't just Google the following 4 words:

"Doug Stanhope climate change"

A perfect, albeit swearing filled, summary of this issue and the associated environmental slacktivism nonsense.  

Google "utopia bus station scene" :)

PS:  On a more serious topic.   Does anyone know if Dr Jones is still an active employee of the NHS Blood Service?

Maybe his employer is different.  But I doubt my employer or fellow colleagues would be too happy if I was leader in an activity that caused massive disruption, attention and anger to the wider city population.

His name and connections with his present (or former) "day job" is just a click of a mouse away.  Hope he knows what he is doing.   Those oil paintings better be keeping money in the bank.

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

A start at what??    You have said yourself that today's actions have done no good for indivuduals or the wider people or businesses.   So what was the bloody point then.  

Talk about a missed target.     Protest and cause disruption and the goverment organisations and companies who can actually do something about climate change.  Protest and cause disruption at the places where it its at its worst levels and is being totatlly ignored.   Protest and cause disruption in places and countries where it actually will have  a clear visible affect at change.

Angering, alienating and disrupting ordinary people trying to get to work is certainly NOT the way to achieve  that.   Whatever message was supposed to be delivered has now been lost and will now very likley be totally ignored by us ordinary people going forwards.

By doing such a stupid stunt, this protest group has lost all credibility with the masses and no matter how important their cause or how relevant their messages are. they will merely now be known as nothing more than those [....chose a swear word...] who blocked traffic and made us all late for work.

I disagree, and here's why. In 1998 a twenty-one year old female colleague who sat across the desk from me in an  ES IT department told me she was going out for lunch to McDonalds. I jokingly said, 'you're not worried about BSE then?' She had no idea what BSE was (in 1998). 'Mad cow disease?' I said. She still had no idea what I was talking about, so I explained it. 

She reported me to the deputy manager, who gave me a verbal warning for scaring the young woman with a 'fake story'. There's no exaggeration or misinformation in that story. It is exactly how it sounds. People really are THAT stupid.

We need to get the message across by lots of different means imo., and not always like this. Some people will get angry. They're gonna be a lot more angry when they start developing asthma and other diseases. 

I also take it you don't agree with strike action for workers either then...?

3 hours ago, sheffbag said:

You say "its a start". Is it eckers like. The UK greenhouse gas emissions have been falling for the last 28 and since the UK signed up to Kyoto they have fallen by over 30%. Thats "a start". ...

Yeah, and Volkswagen emissions monitoring was accurate too. Crime statistics are falling and employment is rising. 

8 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

There is worse to come on Friday / Saturday. Truckers are planning a rolling blockade on the M1 and M18 in support of Brexit 

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/transport/m1-set-to-be-hit-by-nationwide-brexit-go-slow-protests-1-9657107

I'd have thought they'd be Remainers, given forecasted queues at custom checks post Brex****.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

PS:  On a more serious topic.   Does anyone know if Dr Jones is still an active employee of the NHS Blood Service?

Maybe his employer is different.  But I doubt my employer or fellow colleagues would be too happy if I was leader in an activity that caused massive disruption, attention and anger to the wider city population.

His name and connections with his present (or former) "day job" is just a click of a mouse away.  Hope he knows what he is doing.   Those oil paintings better be keeping money in the bank.

Wow, trying to Doxx him, not a good look.

btw, its not just what happens here, with C/C, look at the terrible floods in Mozambique, plus it will be many more climate refugees in the future.

We need to get the message across by lots of different means imo., and not always like this. Some people will get angry. They're gonna be a lot more angry when they start developing asthma and other diseases. 

They already are, I can't go into the city centre any more because of the diesel fumes, etc.

Well it's swung it for me. I'm gonna pack my job in, shred my car, sell my house and go and live in the woods. sorted. :help:

10 hours ago, Halibut said:

It's attitudes like this that make climate change protests necessary.

There are laws against obstructing the public highway , and every single one of those tree huggers should be charged and prosecuted. 

7 hours ago, Fougasse said:

Yeah, and Volkswagen emissions monitoring was accurate too. Crime statistics are falling and employment is rising. 

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC

https://knoema.com/atlas/United-Kingdom/CO2-emissions-per-capita

http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/overview.php?v=CO2andGHG1970-2016&dst=GHGpc

feel free to look at any of these or dont independant worldwide facts fit your comment

14 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

There are laws against obstructing the public highway , and every single one of those tree huggers should be charged and prosecuted. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/call-to-blockade-every-roundabout-and-junction-in-sheffield-as-part-of-nationwide-brexit-protest-1-9661065 

Protesters would be better off protesting against things like the flight BA  are starting in December than targeting motorists who the majority of will simply be trying to get to work. 

From December, British Airways will operate a daily round-trip between two Gulf destinations that are only 54 miles apart and connected by road. It would be quicker by road than flying the 54 miles surely.

BA is extending its current Heathrow-Bahrain service to Dammam in Saudi Arabia. It is the nearest Saudi city to the island nation of Bahrain, to which it is linked by a causeway.

British Airways currently has a dedicated limousine link meeting its flights at Bahrain and taking passengers to Dammam, scheduled to take 90 minutes. It is coded as BA ”flight” 8499.

But starting on 1 December, a Boeing 777 with four classes will replace the road connection, flying only the same distance as London to Brighton.

BA flight 125 will first depart from Heathrow and fly to Bahrain in about six hours. Many passengers will leave the aircraft, but Dammam-bound passengers will stay onboard the aircraft on the ground for an hour.

The jet, weighing over 150 tons, will take a further 50 minutes to reach the Saudi city, including the aircraft’s taxiing time at either end. The average speed is 65mph, even though the 777’s cruising speed is 555mph. 

Boeing’s published figures show that the aircraft will use at least 1.5 tons of fuel between take-off and a height of 10,000 feet.

The aircraft is unlikely to fly any higher. When the fuel is burned, the CO2 emissions will be 5 tons.

On 19/03/2019 at 10:28, sheffbag said:

My attitude as you put it is very clear, i support recylcing, i try to do my bit where possible to reduce my carbon emissions but lets be honest when China is producing over 8 times the amount of CO2 emissions that the UK is doing (source EU Edgar report 2013, probably higher now) what positive impact will a group of people stopping traffic have? 

what good has this done? simple question

The UK's output in 2016 was 367860.35 kton

China's CO2 output in 2016 was 10432751.35 kton, that's 28.35x more. 

By another contrast, China's output was more than DOUBLE that of the continental United States of America. 

Also China has been at the top of the CO2 output statistics since 2005. China hit over 1000000.00 kton in 2013 and averaged 1040000.00 kton every year since (figures rounded by myself)

Source - EDGAR

We are trying to stop a Tsunami with a poundland water-pistol.