Climate change protests

Not at all. The work has to continue but the point was to show that various UK governments have been and are working towards as low as possible output for the last 30 years, and in comparison to other countries they are doing it a lot better. 

This was the counter point to people saying that ER are "raising awareness" and that "its a start" when, if you do some research, you will see that the government is more than aware of the issue and working on it as much as it can.

The work is ongoing and has produced very good results so far but there is a long way to go. A protest like this morning does absolutely nothing except disrupt others. It doesn't affect the policy makers, the politicians, the companies behind the products that create emissions (not just transport) nor does it raise anyone's awareness on the matter any more than they already knew. Its just a bunch of people out to actively cause disruption (as per their website methodologies)

I would love to know when they are coming back as i might book a morning off and come down to discuss facts with them and ask what they think the UK is doing and has done so far, or even what the UK output is in comparison to other countries.

Just seen your edit. I'm more concerned with this countries output as it is something the UK can control. No govt would be able to say to China cut your emissions (i'll not comment on the "working classes part of your post with regards to China)

The only way i see forward globally is a new Kyoto style agreement. The countries that implemented Kyoto have seen a decrease of over 20% (over the original target of 5%)  but countries like China, india, et al  were exempt from restrictions. The world is a different place now and it needs all governments to come together and agree to cut emissions. The growing population of the planet does not help one bit as well as more resources are required but thats a different conversation.

We both say the same thing and there needs to be a dramatic change and quick but progress is been made and ER are doing jack all to help it. 

Edited by sheffbag

4 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

so we should just give up then?

Don't give up, just incrementally improving without virtue signalling.

The 42% saving largely came from electricity generation moving away from Coal, this was for economic and not environmental or protest reasons.

7 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Not at all. The work has to continue but the point was to show that various UK governments have been and are working towards as low as possible output for the last 30 years, and in comparison to other countries they are doing it a lot better. 

This was the counter point to people saying that ER are "raising awareness" and that "its a start" when, if you do some research, you will see that the government is more than aware of the issue and working on it as much as it can.

The work is ongoing and has produced very good results so far but there is a long way to go. A protest like this morning does absolutely nothing except disrupt others. It doesn't affect the policy makers, the politicians, the companies behind the products that create emissions (not just transport) nor does it raise anyone's awareness on the matter any more than they already knew. Its just a bunch of people out to actively cause disruption (as per their website methodologies)

I would love to know when they are coming back as i might book a morning off and come down to discuss facts with them and ask what they think the UK is doing and has done so far, or even what the UK output is in comparison to other countries.

Absolutely you should do that.  This has to be about people talking to each other.  If upsetting people like this protest has done gets them to come and talk about this subject then ER are onto something.  Perhaps in doing that you would pass on valuable knowledge to others but also you may find that you could learn something as well.   Follow them on twitter - go to a meeting, challenge them, its what we should all be doing.

I doubt that the government are "working on it as much as it can".  They are working on it as little as they can get away with and its not enough.

Edited by TimmyR

14 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

Absolutely you should do that.  This has to be about people talking to each other.  If upsetting people like this protest has done gets them to come and talk about this subject then ER are onto something.  Perhaps in doing that you would pass on valuable knowledge to others but also you may find that you could learn something as well.   Follow them on twitter - go to a meeting, challenge them, its what we should all be doing.

I doubt that the government are "working on it as much as it can".  They are working on it as little as they can get away with and its not enough.

My bold - They are doing more work than any other country in the industrialised world at reducing output. same as the Labour govt did before the current regime and the convservative govt did before them. 

Kyoto called for a 5% reduction, the UK has done over 8 times that.

Edited by sheffbag

Do any of these protests ever take place in Majorca?

People taking flights to Spain must cause massive pollution?

Why not have a protest in Spain in July?

I'd join

19 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

We both say the same thing and there needs to be a dramatic change and quick but progress is been made and ER are doing jack all to help it. 

so I say it again go down and influence them.  If you believe something needs to change and think that ER are going the wrong way about it, go and talk to them.  I'm not aware of any other group that are doing anything particularly.  The students striking is certainly a good thing.  I intend to go to one of the ER meetings.  I think on the whole I agree that this morning's protest was not a great idea but I went anyway to see what might come of it.

3 minutes ago, rogets said:

I'd join

its quite hard to block a runway.

Edited by TimmyR

The protest wouldn't take place on the runway, it would take place on the beach

If we got some funding I'm sure there would be loads of young people who would be prepared to protest in Ibiza, it would give people a chance to show how serious they were

Middle aged people who care about the future may also want to join the protest

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

heeeeey! 

I take it you have verified evidence that car drivers in Sheffield are the root cause of the problem of world wide climate change.   If you dont then you are talking out of you Juke Box. 

Really?

Protesting and making the point is fantastic.

Causing thousand of people inconvenience / late to work / missed appointments etc is counter-productive.

46 minutes ago, rogets said:

I'd join

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/climate-change-protesters-block-traffic-on-major-sheffield-city-centre-road-1-9659918

> Dr Bing Jones, of Extinction Rebellion, said: “Nobody is listening to the scientists when they say they are completely confident that we have got 12 years to take really radical action to sort this. 

http://www.bingjones.co.uk/home

> Paintings in oil

> He has a purpose built studio in Sheffield, with controlled natural light. He also arranges sittings in London and will travel elsewhere by arrangement.

> They have four grown children.

Edited by m0nkey

29 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/climate-change-protesters-block-traffic-on-major-sheffield-city-centre-road-1-9659918

> Dr Bing Jones, of Extinction Rebellion, said: “Nobody is listening to the scientists when they say they are completely confident that we have got 12 years to take really radical action to sort this. 

http://www.bingjones.co.uk/home

> Paintings in oil

> He has a purpose built studio in Sheffield, with controlled natural light. He also arranges sittings in London and will travel elsewhere by arrangement.

> They have four grown children.

How does he travel to the bookings?

If he goes by car then isn't he also part of the problem?

Ha!  Amazing.   He has the gall to father four children as well.

I do love it when these people completely fail to practice what they preach on others.

There is plenty of academia out there to show how much damage to the environment breeding can do.  For those that know don't just Google the following 4 words:

"Doug Stanhope climate change"

A perfect, albeit swearing filled, summary of this issue and the associated environmental slacktivism nonsense.  

Edited by ECCOnoob