Climate change protests

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

No. I would have preferred to see protests and disruption outside the Town Hall and Transport Executives for their failures to invest in proper infrastructure for cyclists, proper investment in quick, efficient bus routes, off road transport systems.   A proper fully off road and efficient tram network. 

It would have been nice to see protests in and out of the rail station to highlight the failures of our network and lack of investment outside the london region or the lack of investment in modern, efficient, clean rolling stock using alternative power other than diesel.

How about some protest outside our discount stores and pound shops to highlight their exploitive cheap foreign labour work force in countries with some the worlds highest pollution levels with goods being transported thousands and thousands of miles which could be made just a few miles down the road if they were prepared to pay for it. 

That's just  a few for a start.   

I'm no fan of SCC but I do know they have a battle to keep services running due to funding cuts. So no money for compulsory purchases etc to create cycle lanes etc. 

Lack or rail investment? HS2 ? Although i'm no fan of that either.

I agree on the point re discount stores to a degree, but a lot of the stuff they sell is home grown, sweets, crisps, toothpastes, canned food for example.

13 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

no but if it wasn't for decades of failing to invest in public transport links then they could probably get a train in quickly and efficiently.  Actually, what scunthorpe?  you have to question the motives for commuting that far everyday.

Just go to amsterdam in rush hour and you'll see how a city should really operate.  Barely a car in sight.  Everyone is calm, no pollution.

because they don't want to relocate and the road network makes it normally very viable to travel to Sheffield 

No Pollution???. The Netherlands has nearly DOUBLE the CO2 emissions per capita than the UK.  and the netherlands figures have not fallen anywhere near as much as the UK's has

https://knoema.com/atlas/Netherlands/CO2-emissions-per-capita?compareTo=GB

4 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

because they don't want to relocate and the road network makes it normally very viable to travel to Sheffield 

No Pollution???. The Netherlands has nearly DOUBLE the CO2 emissions per capita than the UK.  and the netherlands figures have not fallen anywhere near as much as the UK's has

https://knoema.com/atlas/Netherlands/CO2-emissions-per-capita?compareTo=GB

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they hit delays pretty regularly due to various incidents.  If there was a good train link then their journey time could be signficantly reduced, safer and more comfortable.  Still strikes me as barmy to drive that far for work.

as for the netherlands, they too need to wake up then.  They have got city design down to a fine art though.

Edited by TimmyR

City design is clearly not good enough is it.  They have double the co2  emissions than the UK.

Funny how environmentalists always sell Amsterdam as some sort of beacon of climate change harmony that we should all be striving towards.

Maybe its the climate protesters who need to "wake up" and stop bothering us.

9 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

so you clearly care about a number of issues, why not do something about it?  Go and meet ER and influence their decisions, get involved.  I actually agree to some extent with your point that the protest this morning could have been done differently...but I am not involved with them so I cannot influence their decisions.  I won't influence their decisions by typing things on this forum, so I am going to go a meeting and find out what its all about.

Got to be honest with you . i had never even heard of this group before this morning so had a look at their website and their "demands". Its taken nearly 30 years to almost half the UK's output and ER "demand" that it is net zero in 6 years? 

I'll be honest and is in no way inflamatory to anyone associated with ER but this has distinct hallmarks of Occupy Sheffield. a group of people with intenionally well meaning and a potential good message to get across but little positive way of putting it across except by trying to cause disruption. 

All this 'i dont have a choice bleating makes me smile'   you chose where you live you and where you work, you are choosing how dependent you are on car.

Protests which disturb the very people who are causing the problem seems sensible to me. 

9 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Got to be honest with you . i had never even heard of this group before this morning so had a look at their website and their "demands". Its taken nearly 30 years to almost half the UK's output and ER "demand" that it is net zero in 6 years? 

I'll be honest and is in no way inflamatory to anyone associated with ER but this has distinct hallmarks of Occupy Sheffield. a group of people with intenionally well meaning and a potential good message to get across but little positive way of putting it across except by trying to cause disruption. 

how do you suggest getting people to take onboard the message?  Climate breakdown isn't some loony conspiracy theory.  Its happening.  I have never been a protester before but the severity of this situation is driving me to do something about it.

And the demand to reduce carbon emissions to zero in 6 years is a crazy target, but that is not because ER are crazy it is because successive governments have not done enough to avert the mess we are in now.

Edited by TimmyR

2 minutes ago, the fonz said:

All this 'i dont have a choice bleating makes me smile'   you chose where you live you and where you work, you are choosing how dependent you are on car.

Protests which disturb the very people who are causing the problem seems sensible to me. 

heeeeey! 

I take it you have verified evidence that car drivers in Sheffield are the root cause of the problem of world wide climate change.   If you dont then you are talking out of you Juke Box. 

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

City design is clearly not good enough is it.  They have double the co2  emissions than the UK.

Funny how environmentalists always sell Amsterdam as some sort of beacon of climate change harmony that we should all be striving towards.

Maybe its the climate protesters who need to "wake up" and stop bothering us.

THe transport infrastucture and use of bikes definitely is a good example . I don't know why the netherlands CO2 is otherwise higher than the UKs.

2 minutes ago, the fonz said:

So the answer is what exactly??  Only choose a job if it's within walking distance?

Move house if/when the company you were working for closes down?

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

heeeeey! 

I take it you have verified evidence that car drivers in Sheffield are the root cause of the problem of world wide climate change.   If you dont then you are talking out of you Juke Box. 

again this isn't about blame.  This is about awareness.

1 minute ago, geared said:

So the answer is what exactly??  Only choose a job if it's within walking distance?

Move house if/when the company you were working for closes down?

personally i wouldn't consider taking a job that was 1hr15 mins drive away, no.  This person is not here to defend their reasons but to me it seems a waste of valuable life to sit in a car for 2.5+hrs a day.