Climate change protests

13 minutes ago, blackydog said:

I realise people will see this differently so my view only but I applaud them for making the effort.

Ask this of yourselves.

Does anyone think it's feasible to carry on using fossil fuels sat in traffic jams everyday?     

NO - that's why car manufacturs - particuarly in the developed world are developing new techonology including hydrid and electric vehicles.  Cities are introducing more and more schemes, mass transport and cycling infrastructure to reduce car use. 

Does anyone think the environmental threat is a hoax? (I know there will be one at least.)

NO.  Most people are aware of its existance and where the worst countries are for it. 

Do you not worry that we will pass the point of no return?     Yes - but what has a disruptive action in Sheffield got to do with that.

Do you not care for the well being of future generations?  Yes  - but like us now, they will also have a responsible for continuing technological and lifestyle evolution of to maintain the world they live in.   Nobody is handed anything on a plate.

Do you think "it'll be OK they'll come up with something"?    They already are.  Its getting the world, particuarly the poorer GDP areas to embrace it.

Do you think it's pointless doing anything because China and America will spoil anyone's efforts with their mass pollution?   Yes partially.  They are the biggest polluters - far earst particularly.     Piddling little actions we take will be massively wiped out if they are left to carry on as they are.   TARGETED protests and TARGETED action is needed as I say above.   

Do you live on the coast?   No - what's that go to do with anything anyway?.

Do you think "bring it on, it's too cold in this country anyway"?   No.  Only morons would. 

Sorry if I've gone on to far but I find it hard to believe that people are not taking this seriously and think their getting to work on time is more important,

YES - for me personally it is.   That's my job.  That's my income.  Its how I feed my family and how I pay for my hybrid vehicle which I choose to purchase (at a far higher cost than my usual choice of car).     Governments are in the position to tackle climate change.   Corporations are in a position to tackle climate change.  World leaders are in a position to tackle climate change.    That is the target for protest and action.   Raising awareness to Joe Public is perfectly acceptable, they can use it to make an informed choice of thier elected representives.   However, willfully disrupting an ordinary person going about their business is totally unacceptable.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

A start at what??    You have said yourself that today's actions have done no good for indivuduals or the wider people or businesses.   So what was the bloody point then.  

Talk about a missed target.     Protest and cause disruption and the goverment organisations and companies who can actually do something about climate change.  Protest and cause disruption at the places where it its at its worst levels and is being totatlly ignored.   Protest and cause disruption in places and countries where it actually will have  a clear visible affect at change.

Angering, alienating and disrupting ordinary people trying to get to work is certainly NOT the way to achieve  that.   Whatever message was supposed to be delivered has now been lost and will now very likley be totally ignored by us ordinary people going forwards.

By doing such a stupid stunt, this protest group has lost all credibility with the masses and no matter how important their cause or how relevant their messages are. they will merely now be known as nothing more than those [....chose a swear word...] who blocked traffic and made us all late for work.

You mean like protesting against fracking at Eckington?  yeah that got us a long way.

People need to accept the need to change and those drivers sat in jams are near the top of the list. This warning  (global warming) has been going on for years and the same people are still sat in their cars in jams. I can just hear the complaints "but my car is low emissions so i shouldn't be targeted". Wrong! your car is only lower emissions, you are still  part of the problem. 

3 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

or maybe some will start to think about their predicament more carefully.  A growing number of people are very concerned about climate breakdown and feel powerless against it. Maybe this protest will give people the kick they need to realise the stupidity of the situation we are in and inspire them to actually do something even if that is just to vote for the right people in the next election.  We need more people to get to the "oh s***" moment and then maybe just maybe the human race can do something about its impending demise.  Whatever happens we can't just go on like we are, we don't have time.

Extinction Rebellion didn't hold people up today, people in cars hold people up. Extinction Rebellion were just the catalyst.

no .  it is because bikes take up less room

I doubt it.   Besides, got even less time now they have been stuck in a hold up for two hours.

Said before and will say again.   Target was completely innapropriate.   Any awareness, any sympathy to the cause has been totally lost. 

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I doubt it.   Besides, got even less time now they have been stuck in a hold up for two hours.

Said before and will say again.   Target was completely innapropriate.   Any awareness, any sympathy to the cause has been totally lost. 

your opinion.  I doubt you've been out collecting the viewpoints of anyone else so your last statement is guesswork.

Edited by TimmyR

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

You realise that spot outside the station is one of the worst for air pollution outside of London? Everyone driving past there is helping to create that. 

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Sympathy may have been lost, but awareness??  I doubt it, if anything THAT will have been increased because if nothing else, YOU are talking about it, even if it IS negatively, so you are more aware of it now than you were 24 hours ago.

2 minutes ago, blackydog said:

You mean like protesting against fracking at Eckington?  yeah that got us a long way.

People need to accept the need to change and those drivers sat in jams are near the top of the list. This warning  (global warming) has been going on for years and the same people are still sat in their cars in jams. I can just hear the complaints "but my car is low emissions so i shouldn't be targeted". Wrong! your car is only lower emissions, you are still  part of the problem. 

Am I.   Well tell you what dear, invent me a vehicle which completely avoids the necessity of any sort of polluting power either in its running or its manufacturing, get that vehicle on the road for less than say £15k and less than £50 a month running costs which can travel at least 200-300 miles continuously without needing an overnight recharge and then I may stop. 

Until that point, I need to get around for my job.   My job doesn't accommodate cycling everywhere or using the public buses or trains without hours and hours of delays to my clients or great expense through repeated overnight accommodation. 

I think YOU are part of the problem for not coming up with some feesible vehicle alternative.   Come on.  Get on with it....

5 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

your opinion.  I doubt you've been out collecting the viewpoints of anyone else so your last statement is guesswork.

Yes of course is guess work.  That's why I choose the word  "doubt". 

2 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

I head out to the  AMP every morning  . An inbound tailback past ASDA is the norm  after 8.15 so didn't realise there was a protest in town. It  just the looked like the usual queue of single occupancy cars. Was it moving more slowly than usual?  What about the pollution that queue causes every day when there isn't a protest on? 

A  normal 25 min journey from Catcliffe to Derek Dooley way  took over an hour, multiply that by every car on the parkway and arterial roads leading into it as well as traffic the other side of the station getting held up and thats a lot of hours wasted. 

Agreed on the current pollution levels being unacceptable but doubling that level is even more of a negative effect is it not 

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

I'd direct your anger at your employer for giving you a warning for something which is clearly out of your control.

Tell that to people who work in call centres or factories who get zero leeway when it comes to times for clocking in and out. 

If we wait and do nothing climate breakdown will cause huge disruption to everyone's lives.
We can't wait for that, so we need to cause disruption now so people start acting.
Its completely understandable that people get angry for being held up, as it is out of their control. I believe it necessary to do it to get people to wake up to the reality of the situation.  ER do not want people to sympathise with them they want people to be scared not hopeful so that they take action.  
This isn't something nice to have like, a 30 hour working week, its about our children being able to feed themselves.  An existential threat.

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

Am I.   Well tell you what dear, invent me a vehicle which completely avoids the necessity of any sort of polluting power either in its running or its manufacturing, get that vehicle on the road for less than say £15k and less than £50 a month running costs which can travel at least 200-300 miles continuously without needing an overnight recharge and then I may stop. 

Until that point, I need to get around for my job.   My job doesn't accommodate cycling everywhere or using the public buses or trains without hours and hours of delays to my clients or great expense through repeated overnight accommodation. 

I think YOU are part of the problem for not coming up with some feesible vehicle alternative.   Come on.  Get on with it....

Sorry I'm not that smart and I know it, all I can do is help to raise awareness, and those that are smart enough and have the resources might respond. I hadn't realised how important your job was that it's more important than the future health of the planet, but I suppose it's a case of your job and everyone else's too is more important, so we have to carry on as usual. Ah well sod the future, sod the kids growing up now who will be left to deal with the problem when it's too late.

9 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

There are currently over 1100 comments on the Star (yes i know) FB post on it, you will be hard pushed to find more than 20 supporting the protest. The rest are all giving negative opinions on the people conducting it. Many of them were stood in the traffic. I think that's a pretty good source

3 minutes ago, blackydog said:

You realise that spot outside the station is one of the worst for air pollution outside of London? Everyone driving past there is helping to create that. 

Well actually according to the real-time air pollution index updated 1 hour ago it was Barnsley Road.  But irrelevant of that, its still only at worst a "moderate" level as is the rest of the UK and most of Europe.     The results show Good air quality for nearly all of the UK and Europe with a few patches of Moderate.   

We ARE aware of the issue of climate.   We ARE doing things to tackle it already.  We ARE as a society in this country making changes but cars wont disappear overnight and there is no sufficient alternatives redilly available yet.

All this crap about bikes and buses simply does not work for everyone.  I am one of those people.     This is not central London.    We dont have nice purpose built cycle infrastructure and cheap perfectly timed fully integrated, tracked and metro service timed public transport systems to all possible destinations.

Yes clearly more needs to be done.  Nobody is disputing that.   But a bunch of silly stunts like this morning are not the way to go about it.   

TARGET THE PEOPLE WHO CAN MAKE THE SIGNIFICANT CHANGES.