Climate change protests

6 minutes ago, the fonz said:

Like the lorry drivers on the M1 the idea is to get the politicians talking about the issues.

Except in that case all they are currently talking about is Brexit, they barely do anything else.

Eat, sleep, Brexit.

Im not talking about the issue though, im talking about the "protesters" and asking what Halibut thinks they have achieved. 

You really think politicians care, and as i put, we are an insignificant impact on any global environment change. Until the US and China drastically amend their output, a bunch of people will change precisely zero except maybe alienate potential supporters.

You cite the M1 rolling disruption plan. At least people know abuot that and can make alternate arrangements to minimise the individual impact on them. These idiots just appeared. 

44 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Tell you what, why not tell us exactly what the "protest" achieved this morning? we are all aware of climate change issues, a bunch of people causing massive pollution 5 miles back (considering traffic was stood still at Catcliffe on the parkway)

I head out to the  AMP every morning  . An inbound tailback past ASDA is the norm  after 8.15 so didn't realise there was a protest in town. It  just the looked like the usual queue of single occupancy cars. Was it moving more slowly than usual?  What about the pollution that queue causes every day when there isn't a protest on? 

Good on em.

Hope this major issue gets as much, or hopefully more, support and attention as replacing some street trees.

48 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

You cite the M1 rolling disruption plan. At least people know abuot that and can make alternate arrangements to minimise the individual impact on them. These idiots just appeared. 

I heard about it yesterday, so I cycled to work while MsWife is working from home.

It wasn't a secret.

Sheffield has terrible traffic every day, who are we going to blame tomorrow? ( And the day after that, and the day after that, etc. etc. Repeat to fade)

Edited by ads36

if all the drivers were cycling the protest would have held no one up.  There is nothing more illogical that people sitting in huge queues of cars blaming everything other than themselves for the huge queues of cars.  What people don't seem to realise is they are held up every day because of people driving cars - a commute taking 40 minutes which could be done in 20 by bike, that adds up. And this protest demonstrates clearly how little it takes to completely snarl everything up.  

Edited by TimmyR

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Thanks for getting me a warning at work for being late due to your "awareness" antics this morning clogging up the parkway.

wonder how many of them drove to it 

I'd direct your anger at your employer for giving you a warning for something which is clearly out of your control.

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

You know something Halibut, i just knew you would be along with some sarky comment designed to not even contribute to the conversation.

Tell you what, why not tell us exactly what the "protest" achieved this morning? we are all aware of climate change issues, a bunch of people causing massive pollution 5 miles back (considering traffic was stood still at Catcliffe on the parkway) They caused jack all and when "Dr Bing" was interviewed he came across as a snowflake pillock whos answer to "what about the people sat in cars with engines idling" just replied "they should turn their engines off" or when the interviewer pointed out that a Dr was in the traffic trying to get to his patients replied "its a small inconveniance". Tell that to the people trying to get to work, back home from work, kids to school, hospital appointments.

Do you think anyone going for a DWP assessment this morning will be ok because they missed their time spot, but hey, they also have a sh*t attitude don't they Halibut?

Take the example set by the children who went and protested outside the town hall instead of alienating a shed load of potential supporters. Or even go and do it outside the taxi rank where cars sit idling all day.

My attitude as you put it is very clear, i support recylcing, i try to do my bit where possible to reduce my carbon emissions but lets be honest when China is producing over 8 times the amount of CO2 emissions that the UK is doing (source EU Edgar report 2013, probably higher now) what positive impact will a group of people stopping traffic have? 

what good has this done? simple question

They're all legitimate points imo.

So, what good has it done? For you probably none. For most of us probably none. For business probably none.

But it's a start. And because the authorities will do - and we all know this from experience - sod all, someone has to start somewhere with everything. Rosa Parks started something in the US back in 1955 and changed a lot. People have changed awareness of plastic pollution only recently. Campaigns raise awareness for people, because at the bottom of almost every issue are two problems: business and government (large and small) and neither will do anything unless forced to do so because 'it affects jobs and profits'.  As if.

So in the end, the only way campaigns can get any traction - because asking nicely will get only get a laugh if you're lucky - is more often by some form of disruption or direct action. Not always, but in the cases where businesses AND gov't are affected, mostly.

And this particular issue is actually killing people, and the environment. Is that a good reason to disrupt the daily routine of people's lives, especially people who might be penalised by the DWP? 

I dunno. You tell me.

I realise people will see this differently so my view only but I applaud them for making the effort.

Ask this of yourselves.

Does anyone think it's feasible to carry on using fossil fuels sat in traffic jams everyday? 

Does anyone think the environmental threat is a hoax? (I know there will be one at least.)

Do you not worry that we will pass the point of no return?

Do you not care for the well being of future generations?

Do you think "it'll be OK they'll come up with something"?

Do you think it's pointless doing anything because China and America will spoil anyone's efforts with their mass pollution?

Do you live on the coast? 

Do you think "bring it on, it's too cold in this country anyway"?

Sorry if I've gone on to far but I find it hard to believe that people are not taking this seriously and think their getting to work on time is more important, 

9 minutes ago, Fougasse said:

They're all legitimate points imo.

So, what good has it done? For you probably none. For most of us probably none. For business probably none.

But it's a start. And because the authorities will do - and we all know this from experience - sod all, someone has to start somewhere with everything. Rosa Parks started something in the US back in 1955 and changed a lot. People have changed awareness of plastic pollution only recently. Campaigns raise awareness for people, because at the bottom of almost every issue are two problems: business and government (large and small) and neither will do anything unless forced to do so because 'it affects jobs and profits'.  As if.

So in the end, the only way campaigns can get any traction - because asking nicely will get only get a laugh if you're lucky - is more often by some form of disruption or direct action. Not always, but in the cases where businesses AND gov't are affected, mostly.

And this particular issue is actually killing people, and the environment. Is that a good reason to disrupt the daily routine of people's lives, especially people who might be penalised by the DWP? 

I dunno. You tell me.

A start at what??    You have said yourself that today's actions have done no good for indivuduals or the wider people or businesses.   So what was the bloody point then.  

Talk about a missed target.     Protest and cause disruption and the goverment organisations and companies who can actually do something about climate change.  Protest and cause disruption at the places where it its at its worst levels and is being totatlly ignored.   Protest and cause disruption in places and countries where it actually will have  a clear visible affect at change.

Angering, alienating and disrupting ordinary people trying to get to work is certainly NOT the way to achieve  that.   Whatever message was supposed to be delivered has now been lost and will now very likley be totally ignored by us ordinary people going forwards.

By doing such a stupid stunt, this protest group has lost all credibility with the masses and no matter how important their cause or how relevant their messages are. they will merely now be known as nothing more than those [....chose a swear word...] who blocked traffic and made us all late for work.

50 minutes ago, TimmyR said:

if all the drivers were cycling the protest would have held no one up. 

Is that because all the cyclists would just have cycled through the crossing on red, or gone around them on the pavement?

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

A start at what??    You have said yourself that today's actions have done no good for indivuduals or the wider people or businesses.   So what was the bloody point then.  

Talk about a missed target.     Protest and cause disruption and the goverment organisations and companies who can actually do something about climate change.  Protest and cause disruption at the places where it its at its worst levels and is being totatlly ignored.   Protest and cause disruption in places and countries where it actually will have  a clear visible affect at change.

Angering, alienating and disrupting ordinary people trying to get to work is certainly NOT the way to achieve  that.   Whatever message was supposed to be delivered has now been lost and will now very likley be totally ignored by us ordinary people going forwards.

By doing such a stupid stunt, this protest group has lost all credibility with the masses and no matter how important their cause or how relevant their messages are. they will merely now be known as nothing more than those [....chose a swear word...] who blocked traffic and made us all late for work.

or maybe some will start to think about their predicament more carefully.  A growing number of people are very concerned about climate breakdown and feel powerless against it. Maybe this protest will give people the kick they need to realise the stupidity of the situation we are in and inspire them to actually do something even if that is just to vote for the right people in the next election.  We need more people to get to the "oh s***" moment and then maybe just maybe the human race can do something about its impending demise.  Whatever happens we can't just go on like we are, we don't have time.

Extinction Rebellion didn't hold people up today, people in cars hold people up. Extinction Rebellion were just the catalyst.

Just now, the_bloke said:

Is that because all the cyclists would just have cycled through the crossing on red, or gone around them on the pavement?

no .  it is because bikes take up less room