Ants in the greenhouse

I started digging the beds in the greenhouse and clearing the roots out and noticed a lot of ants when I dug the soil. I remembered had seen them before and forgotten about them, they certainly didn't affect the tomato plants last year, anyone know what is the best way of getting rid of them? I don't want to be putting ant powder down near where the plants are going to be growing.

I used vinegar, I sprinkled it around the main body of ants and they mostly disappeared last summer, apparently the ants won't cross over it, you have to use it every now and then  but mine went

This year I dug the beds out as usual down to about 15 inches and sieved the soil as normal, I didn't see one ant or any eggs at all. I saw some a couple of weeks ago and put powder down the joint between the flags which are  vertical to contain the soil. Not seen any since, then this morning the greenhouse is very warm and they were running all over around a couple of plants so I will try your suggestion.

Get a small ant bait station. We have had to use one as they make homes in my potted plants. 

On 22/07/2020 at 20:41, Chez2 said:

Get a small ant bait station. We have had to use one as they make homes in my potted plants. 

I put three ant traps down but they have not got rid of them.

I'm confused, why would you want to get rid of the ants?

5 hours ago, taxman said:

Why indeed?

Ants are generally good for soil and plants  they control pests and help with aceration of soil  they can cause minor plant roots a problem if they build nests directly under a plant, if any plants have dark mould on their leaves ants will actually help.

Edited by steve68

Do ants protect aphids from lacewing larvae and ladybirds? I was of the belief that ants farmed aphis for their secretions.

On the thought of  blackfly covering runner beans I have found a very soft paint brush dipped in a weak soap solution reduces the infestation considerably.

On 02/08/2020 at 17:45, taxman said:

Because you need soil in a plant pot, not a nest of ants. 

I had overwintered some tender plants then split and repotted them in early spring, ready to put them out after the last frost. I had a spare plant I was going to swap with a friend so I decided to check the roots before giving it to them. I knocked it out of the pot to inspect it and it was a mass of ants and eggs, hardly any soil; thats why you need to get rid of them. A few is manageable but if undisturbed they take over. I take it you have never had ants crawl up you and bite / nip or whatever they do? 

On 02/08/2020 at 17:45, taxman said:

Pop over to my allotment in open toed sandals. 

You’ll soon find out😀